2007 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
The worst car I ever owned, and I owned a '78 Pinto!
By workingmom40 on 01/16/13 09:55 AM (PST)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is the absolute worst, and it is my mission to inform other buyers. When you read the reviews of this car, see how people are happy at first, but quickly the reviews go downhill. My transmission went out at 86,000 miles. Complete rebuild, I kid you not. I have also had to replace the brakes twice before reaching 80,000. And these are the pricy "performace" breaks. Shocks done twice & struts done once at 60,000. Two sets of those crappy "performance" tires. Numerous mfr. warranty repairs due to faulty engine components, and the body is plastic and literally falls off on the freeway! Used the extended warranty so much the company investigated the dealer for possible fraud!

MAZDA DISAPPOINTS.
By albert36 on 02/26/12 09:17 AM (PST)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The automatic transmission in our late model Mazda 5 failed at 74,000 km. Needless to say we were both surprised and disappointed to have the transmission fail so pre-maturely. Mazda dealerships claimed it was out of their hands and directed us to Mazda Canada. Mazda’s Head Office in turn said even though the mileage was within warranty, the expiry date had recently passed, therefore no remedy or compensation would be forthcoming. No, not even goodwill. Mazda Canada was unwilling to acknowledge that if a vehicle fails at 74,000 km, it's not unreasonable to consider the cause might be a manufacturing defect in that vehicle. How many cars would any auto manufacturer sell if their transmissions have such a short life expectancy? There were various reasons given for lack of help including no service records in the Mazda database, despite our submission of service records. It seems that the service work of licensed mechanics in Canada is not good enough for Mazda. Apparently they need to be employed by Mazda authorized -dealers. As new transmissions are not available from Mazda, the dealerships offer rebuilt transmissions for $2,900.00 with a one year warranty, no extended warranty available. A nationwide transmission company has quoted $2,000 for the same work and will extend the warranty to three years for about $400 more. Despite not employing the service of Mazda mechanics, the national transmission chain is confident enough in their workmanship to offer a non-prorated warranty that’s 3 times longer than Mazda ‘s! We went back to Mazda Canada, requested that they make up the $800 difference and have the work done at one of their dealerships. We believe our request for some compensation was fair and reasonable. The answer back from Mazda was no. We’ve been told that auto manufacturers are only interested in selling new cars. Fair enough. If Mazda had even offered a $1,000 or so rebate on a future purchase of a Mazda vehicle, that would have been acceptable. That purchase of a future Mazda would still net Mazda a profit even after the rebate was applied, the company would retain the loyalty of a Mazda driver while we would have the comfort of knowing that we are dealing with a manufacturer that stands behind their products and values us as long term customers. As it turns they now have a Mazda family that does not have a good story to tell and will likely never purchase a Mazda again.

In a class by itself
By jeff527 on 10/10/11 09:09 AM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great vehicle—you just have to know what to compare it to! It's not an Odyssey / Caravan / Sienna competitor. Yes, it has a third row but the Mazda5 is a much smaller vehicle. We stepped up from a Mazda3 after we had our second child. I found we didn't need all the space of a full size minivan so our Mazda5, with a manual transmission to boot, is a great compromise between a 5 seat hatchback and a full size minivan. We've put 15,000 miles on it so far and have not it in the shop once for a mechanical failure. If you think it looks like a space ship you'll probably get used to that after a while. Tinting the windows all around also helps.

Very Utilitarian, But Loud Tire eater
By ronwho on 09/04/11 14:07 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 5 new. 4 years 66K later, wife has a love-hate relationship. It is very utilitarian and it has been very reliable. We've only had to replace a broken strut. (Free with our MEPP extended warranty) It gets decent mileage- about 23-24 mpg. However, we have to replace tires every 18 to 20K. Low profile tires pop when you hit a big pothole (unavoidable in OK) with one bent wheel so far. Interior road noise is so loud that we have to yell to the back seat. I mean REALLY loud. The AC loses some cool when you accelerate hard and my wife will only run it on recirculate to get cold- but it does get cold. We are buying a CX-9 and giving 5 to teenager. Will see if 9 is better quality.

A True Multi-Purpose Vehicle
By jimmitime on 07/30/11 23:20 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new because it had a lot to offer as our sole family vehicle.Original A/T tires are still fine. Driven it all over northwest USA & west Canada. Has been a good tow vehicle, we pulled a 2000lb trailer through snowy ID Lolo Pass, MT, WA and the rockies no problems. Handles suprisingly well in slippery conditions. Braking is great. Could do with more power but the tradeoff is decent fuel economy. Now at 30k miles. Have had to do nothing but oil changes. We'd definitely buy the 5 again. Has served us well. Our 3 kids have punished it inside and out so the paint does seem to scratch easily which is probably typical of all new vehicles these days with the bare minimum paint used.

never again Mazda
By mzdahtr on 06/13/11 19:25 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Poor, Poor Mazda. I suggest you Zoom,Zoom past this vehicle. Suspension is terrible, kills tires with no fix that you can afford to do. Plan on tire replacement every 18mo no matter the miles driven, Tire mfrs will not honor their guarantee on this vehicle. A/C quit can't figure it out i was told it was within the computer. Turn the wheel and you can hear popcorn popping. Terrible. This car is a Ford underneath. I guess it is a good thing Mazda is moving to Mexico. I wonder why Ford kicked them out of their facillities? Good Move.

A/C & brake disc issues
By karnollege on 01/30/11 10:46 AM (PST)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 2007 Mazda 5 - see my post dating back to July 2007. None of those opinions have changed. However, a few months ago my a/c compressor failed - a very big deal in Southern Arizona. My mechanic learned it was defective & Mazda acknowledged it and paid for a new one, which was appreciated. Then my brake discs rusted - my mechanic explained this shouldn't happen in a 5 year old car. So-o-o-o-o, I guess this explains why this car was such a good buy! It's given me pause about the Mazda brand & next time I may go back to my tried & true Honda, Nissan, or Toyota.

No more Mazda for me.
By Mario on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I hope Mazda fixed the issue where the car has too much camber & causes rear wheels to wear quickly and cause excessive noise. Like on 2007 models. We've gone through 3 sets of tires and the car only has 40,000 miles on it.

Love my Var!
By Emily&Nessa's Mom on 07/02/10 18:21 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2008 Mazda5 and lost it in an accident, so I replaced it with this. I love this car, as I loved my first one! This is the perfect car for someone who wants to be able to haul kids, or groceries, or a little of both, or a lot of something big. I adore the versatility, my kids love the room, and it drives like a car. I also get a kick out of the fact that no one else seems to have one. We call it a mini-mini-van... or a var!

Mostly happy
By JustpeachyinDC on 03/30/10 19:29 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought ours new in July '07. Overall, this is a very good car for a new family with small children. Easy access with the sliding rear doors but it doesn't feel like your driving a minivan. Needs more horsepower! We have averaged 23 mpg in mixed driving since we bought the car, not bad but not great. Routinely get 27 on the highway even with the Thule cargo box on top. This car is one of Mazda's best kept secrets!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.