Used 2007 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

2007 Mazda 5

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

I call it my Princess and Pea car.
By Heather D.

2007 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda5 wears low profile tires. When I bought my car I was naive and thought I could just change them out for full size tires. Nope. That’s how the car is built. Because of the low to ground factor it scrapes on things normal cars would just roll over. I once got completely stuck in a tiny bit of mud and had to be pulled out. It was quite embarrassing. This also means it handles poorly in snow. Maybe different tires would make this a bit better.

The cabin is noisy. It quite literally sounds like there’s nothing between you and the engine. This is perhaps one of my biggest pet peeves about the car.

There is a third row. So the Mazda5 does technically seat 6. However, the third row will not comfortably fit any one over five feet tall or with average length legs. The air conditioning and heat take awhile to reach all the way back there. So it’s really not ideal for full time usage. Also, when you have the third row up your trunk area is almost nil. So imagine trying to fit a family of six and Christmas presents from three sets of people in there? Yeah, it’s not pleasant.

The gas mileage on the Mazda5 is decent for the size of it. It doesn’t have a large tank, so that’s unfortunate. I don’t have specific numbers but currently it’s around $35.00 to fill from around ¼ tank. My daughter was driving about half an hour one way to work, three days a week and one hour once a week to dance class and this took most of the tank.

The Mazda5 uses the computerized key fob with the jack knife style key. These cost roughly $300 to replace. My car only came with one. So I always freak out about people losing or breaking the key. I like the jack knife style, but I don’t like the price tag on the computer fob.

So, you may be asking what do I like? I don’t actually hate everything about this car. I like the side sliding doors, those are nice. My particular Mazda5 came with a DVD player and wireless headphones, so that is great for trips. It also has a six CD changer, which I personally appreciate very very much. I like the seat adjustments, the lumbar support is probably my favorite.

There are lots of cup holders, if you’ve ever had a car where there wasn’t enough you can understand why this makes me happy. There’s one for each seat, one in each front door and an extra one in the middle of the 2nd row. SO MANY CUPS!!

So there’s my short and to the point review. Don’t buy the Mazda5 if you need all six seats every day. Don’t buy a Mazda5 if you like to drive through mud. Do buy it if you value cup holders!

Not necessarily the car's fault
By Alecia Taylor

2007 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '07 Mazda 5 six months ago (winter of 2014). I thought I would love it because it's similar to my Honda fit, but offered the extra seating since I now have 3 children. If you have more than two kids the 3rd row always has to be up eliminating every bit of your storage. You can't even fit groceries back there. My Mazda only had one owner before me and has 55k miles, but the struts are already worn. It's also pretty slow. No more quick thinking lane changes in traffic. This car won't make it.

All that said, it's not a bad car. It's just not what I thought I needed.

150,000 KM's later...
By shawn303

2007 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car new in December 2006 and have put 150K on it.
Good
- reliable engine and tranny.
- OK if you have 2 children
- good on fuel
- pulled an 8 foot tent trailer with it all the way to the east coast
- no leaks
Bad
- front suspension components give up very fast
- wheel bearings give up really fast
- tires do not last long at all
- low clearance so if there's snow or raod kill, you'll hit it and cause damage
- exhaust system is rotted out and needs replacing
- rust under wheel wells
- stiff ride
- no arm rest for co-pilot in front seat?

Decent stereo fold down seats

Don't think I'd recommend this car as the maintenance and the rust have really turned me off. As I said, the front bushings, sway bars, ball joints, wheel bearings, all give up very quickly, it's an expensive car to own. Be aware.

The worst car I ever owned, and I owned a '78 Pinto!
By workingmom40

2007 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is the absolute worst, and it is my mission to inform other buyers.
When you read the reviews of this car, see how people are happy at first, but quickly the reviews go downhill.
My transmission went out at 86,000 miles.
Complete rebuild, I kid you not.
I have also had to replace the brakes twice before reaching 80,000.
And these are the pricy "performace" breaks.
Shocks done twice & struts done once at 60,000.
Two sets of those crappy "performance" tires.
Numerous mfr. warranty repairs due to faulty engine components, and the body is plastic and literally falls off on the freeway!
Used the extended warranty so much the company investigated the dealer for possible fraud!

Hmm, I cannot decide if I like the exterior breaking apart on the road or the 86,000 mile transmission rebuild better (enter sarcasm here.) Hmmm, maybe it's the breaks that always squeak in any weather and need replacing every two years. Possible the way I have to re-route my driving in winter to avoid any hills at all, and I live in Iowa! Oh, wait, I know, the uncomfortably, ridiculously loud ride! Definitely!

Scrap the whole thing before Mazda has a class action lawsuit for violating lemon laws. This is not an exaggeration. This car is so poorly made they should be ashamed of themselves.

MAZDA DISAPPOINTS.
By albert36

2007 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The automatic transmission in our late model
Mazda 5 failed at 74,000 km. Needless to say we were both surprised and disappointed to have the transmission fail so pre-maturely.
Mazda dealerships claimed it was out of their hands and directed us to Mazda Canada.
Mazda’s Head Office in turn said even though the mileage was within warranty, the expiry date had recently passed, therefore no remedy or compensation would be forthcoming. No, not even goodwill.
Mazda Canada was unwilling to acknowledge that if a vehicle fails at 74,000 km, it's not unreasonable to consider the cause might be a manufacturing defect in that vehicle.
How many cars would any auto manufacturer sell if their transmissions have such a short life expectancy?
There were various reasons given for lack of help including no service records in the Mazda database, despite our submission of service records. It seems that the service work of licensed mechanics in Canada is not good enough for Mazda.
Apparently they need to be employed by Mazda authorized -dealers.
As new transmissions are not available from Mazda, the dealerships offer rebuilt transmissions for $2,900.00 with a one year warranty, no extended warranty available. A nationwide transmission company has quoted $2,000 for the same work and will extend the warranty to three years for about $400 more. Despite not employing the service of Mazda mechanics, the national transmission chain is confident enough in their workmanship to offer a non-prorated warranty that’s 3 times longer than Mazda ‘s!
We went back to Mazda Canada, requested that they make up the $800 difference and have the work done at one of their dealerships.
We believe our request for some compensation was fair and reasonable. The answer back from Mazda was no.
We’ve been told that auto manufacturers are only interested in selling new cars. Fair enough. If Mazda had even offered a $1,000 or so rebate on a future purchase of a Mazda vehicle, that would have been acceptable. That purchase of a future Mazda would still net Mazda a profit even after the rebate was applied, the company would retain the loyalty of a Mazda driver while we would have the comfort of knowing that we are dealing with a manufacturer that stands behind their products and values us as long term customers.
As it turns they now have a Mazda family that does not have a good story to tell and will likely never purchase a Mazda again.