2006 Mazda Mazda5 Consumer Review: Excellent for urban and highwa

2006 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Review

Touring Passenger Minivan (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Excellent for urban and highway driving
By Howard on

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving this car for over three years and I am very satisified. It is easy to maneuver and park in city traffic and has an amazingly short turning radius. It is very comfortable for four people traveling long distances. With the manual transmission it gets about 21-22 mpg in the city and 28-30 on the highway. Contrary to some other reports, this car does not seem underpowered to me. It goes through mountains just fine with four passengers, luggage and a bike rack on top. This may be due in part to the manual transmission. However, off-the-line performance is noticeably worse with six in the car. It's not a drag racer, but I have never had any trouble keeping up with traffic.

Favorite Features

Handling, good visibility, sliding doors, roomy for traveling for four, reasonable gas mileage (much better in city than previous Windstar). The car also has been very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

The front suspension creaks in cold weather, which is more annoying than a functional problem. I believe this is fixed in later versions. The sliding door locks froze once; this was fixed in a recall and has not happened since. The seventh seat available in other countries would be handy.