Used 2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Big enough, small enough...
By Jay

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car 2 years ago because it was the only car of it's description sold in this country - smaller than a minivan, but with great space efficiency and the availability of a manual transmission. Pros: Space efficiency, smooth shifting manual transmission, unique exterior, loads of head room, better gas mileage than a minivan. Cons: While we've found it adequate (with tinted windows), AC could be stronger. Engine strains a bit - contrary to report elsewhere, you will NOT get higher than 31 or 32 mpg even under ideal conditions. We average about 28 mpg. Original tires wore out way too quickly (about 20,000 miles).

Favorite Features

Great compromise for space and economy. Handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

Longer lasting all-season tires. A little stronger engine more suited to a car this size - would probably actually improve gas mileage. Easier access to oil filter (it's behind a large difficult-to-remove plastic panel under the car). Stronger AC with ducts for rear passengers.

Love our new (used) Mazda 5!
By zandy

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the 2006 Mazda 5 two months ago after looking at other wagons for a long time. We liked the fold down 2nd and 3rd row seats. It is very similar to a minivan with the 2nd row bucket seats, sliding doors, and slightly elevated drive; but I still call it a wagon because I DID NOT want a minivan. Others complained about the AC/heat, but I think it's great - never turn AC above 2. The car drives great. Overall, I'm not that impressed with the MPG - we've only filled up the car twice in the two months we've had it, but both times it averaged in the low 20s. FYI - we're suburbanites in our 30s and only drive 50 mi/wk.

Favorite Features

sporty exterior; smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

install passenger side armrest and improve gas mileage!

Small interior
By colleen

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I would never buy this car again. I had to replace the tires, the traction was poor and they leaked after the first year. The third row is to small, no passenger arm rest. The interior can't handle every day use. The dash looks worn after barely two years and the one and only arm rest is totally worn out. Power locks don't work right. The only thing I do like is the sporty feel and look.

Favorite Features

Sporty look. You don't feel too low while driving.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires. Better interior quality. More leg room all around, especially the third row. Vents in the back.

Fun to drive, practical, has shortcoming
By chaika

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2006 with almost all the options. We have 2 children and regularly carpool two others to school. I like driving the car. It is small and peppy. I love the 5 speed on a minivan.

Favorite Features

I like flexibility of seating and the overall styling. Radio and heat/ ac controls are intuitive. I haven't had it for summer yet, so not sure about the quality of the ac.

Suggested Improvements

The interior only comes in black and that looks dirty right way and always. Lots of road noise. If you are looking for a car for lots of highway hours think about a pair of earplugs. Around town it doesnt bother me. Stock tires were awful on snow! Definitely get snow tires!

All good except for interior noise
By Avinash B

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So far 25K miles, going good. Pickup and handling is excellent, very easy and fun to drive. I do however get wind noise seeping through the door frame glass. Has been checked my Mazda several times, looks like a design flaw. Recently, started getting wobbling sound from rear, was told it is the tires getting old.

Favorite Features

Compact space, good exterior design, nice view, good controls.

Suggested Improvements

No armrest for front passenger, Need brighter headlamps