Used 2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

At Dealer Constantly
By Dan

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I was hoping that this vehicle would be perfect for my wife and kids. At 1st you think it should be with the long list of features etc. However, we have had nothing but problems. Have had the struts upfront changed 3 times in 25,000 miles, wind noise from the drivers side door is terrible, the locks have stopped working 4 times. Have had to change key fobs 2 times. The steering column has had to be changed twice because it would slide in and out with zero effort. The rear doors have had to change the locking mechanisms inside because they stopped working. The dealer told me that the car did not have an alarm after the passenger side mirror was broken over night by a thief.

Favorite Features

It looks good, small seats in back are great for friends kids.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, this thing is a lemon. Do not buy, has amazing potential. Great idea, but not fully ready.

Pleased for the price
By cumadogg

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Pleased with the car - it has served it's purpose as a family transporter for a family with 4 little ones, but it is quickly becoming too small. But for the price, I cannot complain - other than a few minor quality issues, it has been a reliable method of transportation.

Favorite Features

Sliding doors, size - people are always amazed on the interior volume after seeing it - very deceiving from the outside.

Suggested Improvements

Option of bigger engine (small V6) - very sluggish with 6 occupants and a full rack on top - something in the 200 hp range would be nice. (I know it was addressed in later models) front passenger seat armrest! Hate how the sunroof slides UP and not just back and into the roof -

New Owner
By saftgek

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife & I took a '05 Ford Focus to dealership for taillight replacement. Ended up trading for an '06 Mazda 5. Very impressed w/design, detail, delightful appearance (inside & out). Many creature comforts, lots of glass (for great visibility). Audio system very pleasing for our preferences of music. Easily seats 6 adults comfortably. With seats folded down, excellent cargo capacity. Nice hidden storage under seats. Sliding side doors (both sides) are great. Easy access to 2nd & 3rd row seats, without banging shins as in some vehicles. Pretty car.

Favorite Features

Visibility; comfortable seats; audio system; cargo capacity; quality; turning radius; get-up-and-go; comfort; fun to drive; non-metallic body components (running boards, tailgate) means reduced risk of rust; 2-position tailgate.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade automatic transaxle to 5 speed (overdrive) for economy; passenger armrest.

Good choice for the money
By wolf6561

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought our Mazda 5 earlier this year, we were looking for for an economical alternative to an SUV, and this does the job fine. I am 6'3", and the front and second row seats are quite comfortable. The gas mileage is great, the handling is first-rate, and it makes a great family vehicle. My wife picks up our son and 4 neighbor kids from school every day and they love the car. We've also managed to load bicycles, a large dog crate, and have plenty of room left over.

Favorite Features

Easy to park and maneuver in tight places, sunroof, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Trailer hitch capability, more horsepower on the engine, AWD availability.

Impressive Car!
By JB

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've come back from a long trip. I drove over 800 miles in just two days on the highway. MPG is 29.8 (impressive), very reliable, strong, solid, quiet, powerful, fun to drive, nimble handling, fuel economy is amazing!!! (29.8 MPG, but, gas tank is a little bit small). Pretty big interior cargo space. I confidently recommend this Mazda 5 to everyone. Thanks Mazda.

Favorite Features

MPG (on highway), handling, strong engine, smooth transmission, inner space.

Suggested Improvements

Low positioned driver seat