Used 2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:

GREAT car with a hidden bug
By pcat007

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the '5' for more than 3 years, and the whole family (2 adults+2 young kids) loves it. I was looking for something spacious, minivan or larger wagon, with manual transmission. My previous car was a VW Eurovan with manual transmission, but the manual transmission is gone for current models. When I heard about the '5', it was an easy decision. I like everything about the car, except that if I don't drive it for a week, the battery is empty. The Mazda dealer couldn't find the bug, but replaced the battery a few times at no cost. Also, I expected better mileage and the AC is not great for people in the 3rd row. Other than that, fun to drive, lots of space, and inexpensive to maintain.

Favorite Features

manual transmission, fun to drive, lots of space for 4 people.

Suggested Improvements

Get the electrical stuff right. Where I live (Atlanta, GA) it's impossible to find a manual with a sunroof.

watch out for electrical gremlins!
By nslimm

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new 06 GT 5 speed manual. I really enjoy driving this van and I get great mileage. But during cold weather the e-brake doesn't work all the time and the dealership has tried to fix this 6 times. They have now replaced the calipers on one side only. Also, the headlights flash on and off on their own. I live outside the city so it really is noticeable on the highway when the headlights turn off for two seconds or more. They cycle through 9 or 10 times on and off so it looks like I am warning of a police radar trap ahead! NOT FUNNY! My last trip through the mountains the headlights turned off 34 times over 300 miles.

Favorite Features

steering wheel controls, 5 speed manual

Suggested Improvements

Improve the cold weather standards, such as the sliding door mech., electrical issues, and the e-brake. Also needed is an interior light switch for the whole interior, so that when the kids drop something the driver can turn on the interior lights.

Excellent for urban and highway driving
By Howard

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving this car for over three years and I am very satisified. It is easy to maneuver and park in city traffic and has an amazingly short turning radius. It is very comfortable for four people traveling long distances. With the manual transmission it gets about 21-22 mpg in the city and 28-30 on the highway. Contrary to some other reports, this car does not seem underpowered to me. It goes through mountains just fine with four passengers, luggage and a bike rack on top. This may be due in part to the manual transmission. However, off-the-line performance is noticeably worse with six in the car. It's not a drag racer, but I have never had any trouble keeping up with traffic.

Favorite Features

Handling, good visibility, sliding doors, roomy for traveling for four, reasonable gas mileage (much better in city than previous Windstar). The car also has been very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

The front suspension creaks in cold weather, which is more annoying than a functional problem. I believe this is fixed in later versions. The sliding door locks froze once; this was fixed in a recall and has not happened since. The seventh seat available in other countries would be handy.

Mini Van??
By Collin

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have found the car to be the perfect car for us. Other than the tires wearing out @30,000 miles, premature death of the battery and 1 bad rear door lock actuator it has been reliable. I have loaded it full to go camping and mountain biking several times; it will lots of stuff, however the 4 cyl does struggle in the mountains when loaded. MPG is great wife gets 24 around town. Doesn't drive like a mini van! Fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Manual shift option on transmission, all the rear seats fold down, storage under rear seats

Suggested Improvements

Sun visors need to be larger, passenger seat arm rest (fixed in 08) rear air (fixed in 08) offer a 6 cyl engine, add MP3 player aux input (fixed in 08)

The Little Strato Blue Wagon That Could
By Davicho

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my MZ5 used with 41000 miles which is a little more than normal but seemed very well taken care of. I sold my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe and bought it to replace it, and I do not regret it one bit. I totally love this little wagon. Sporty in and out, awesome handling, peppy, room for six or fold up the seats and have an enormous carrying capacity. Love the slider doors, although many people including my sons tease me for driving a minivan, nonetheless, all the attributes this wagon brings to the table over compensates for the mini-van label, I prefer to call it a "Sport Wagon". My average MPG city and highway combined is a steady 22-23 and I have gotten 28- 29 on pure highway driving.

Favorite Features

The sporty looks, awesome handling, standard features like leather steering wheel, automatic with manual mode, auto temp control, moonroof, 6-CD changer, steering wheel audio and cruise controls, and 17" alloy wheels. I love the versatility of the interior, sliding doors and two position rear hatch.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger side armrest (fixed on 2008 and later models), rear vents (also fixed on 2008 and later models), bigger seat bottoms on front seats with tilt feature. Better sound system with better bass. Better sound insulation.