2006 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Love my 5!!
By Julianne on 11/19/07 19:45 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my 5 for 2 years and I still LOVE it. It handles great and is fun to drive. My only complaint is that the a/c is not strong enough for the length of the car. Anyone in the 3rd row will be sweating in the summer.

Perfect if you don't want to be typical
By Cinda on 10/28/07 23:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It's been almost a year and have not come across any problems. I don't have a gas mileage meter, but rough estimates put it at more than advertised. I can drive about 400 mostly city miles before the light comes on. Most problems I've had with cargo are solved with this car, sandbox, toddler bed, etc., have all fit. Having a manual makes you forget your in a minivan-ish thing, that happens to be the length and width of a typical mid-size sedan. Oh, and it's so easy to park, it turns very sharp, like a compact car.

Review # 3
By Review # 3 on 09/15/07 21:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It's been almost two years and 28000 miles and still going strong. The weight distribution provides excellent steering and braking response but the biggest weakness is the front wheel drive traction. I would like to see "high profile" MAZDA5s with all wheel drive, choices of six speed manual or continously variable automatic transmissions and lower final drive ratios for hilly and/or snowy states. Nothing else is like the MAZDA5 and these features whould make a good car a great car.

It's the not so "Minivan" minivan
By Family Man on 08/29/07 00:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I really love to drive my 5. We use it to haul the family around and it does great. I love the lines and features you get for the money. Mazda did it right when they redesigned their line up and gave birth to this great new model. The sport shifter is great and the fuel ecomony is acceptable. The 17" wheels really help it stand out from the rest and makes me feel more sporty. When I drive this around I don't feel I'm driving a van. In fact many people ask me what it is. I have started to see more around and everyone I talk to loves it. Great car for the money and perfect for the person not ready for a really minivan.

I want to love it
By klaus on 07/09/07 11:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have had a manual GT model for a year. I still love driving this vehicle; it's a sporty looking and feeling ride. I love the lines, the wheels, the colour (platinum silver), most everything about its look. We bought the vehicle for its practical yet small design. However, fuel economy could be improved on. We are averaging 9.6 L/100km in country/city driving. We have had squeaking suspension issues in cold weather. The dealer fixed it once, but it was back within 2 months. We have been told that Mazda is working on a fix. The only other problem is a buzzing in the dashboard when you let off the gas at around 28-2900 RPM. The 5 would benefit from a 6th gear as it revs high at 100km/h.

Great vehicle for the money!
By luvchampagne on 07/03/07 10:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car has so much to offer for so little money compared to the others in its class. There is so much room for the size. It is a great car to drive. Easy to see from all angles. Handles very well in heavy rain and on the highway.

Good features for the price
By HL on 06/18/07 11:25 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great alternative to the typical minivan. More fuel efficient and easier to manuever. Fun to drive.

Not bad, but Mazda needs to improve.
By djbilly on 06/04/07 19:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We like the 5, but don't love it due to a number of glitches and annoyances such as weak AC, wet weather belt squeal, cold weather suspension noises, a strange and occasional sudden loss of power in 2nd gear, and mild tire vibration at 70-80 MPH. If Mazda could fix these design and quality issues we would probably love it, but dealer has been little help! Mileage is reasonable with the 2.4L 4 cyclinder, and better than a V6 van. Very peppy with the Zoom, Zoom and looks pretty good with the sporty rims. We have found that we start feeling a little nauseated on long trips, but otherwise it is reasonably comfortable. With 6 people there is little space left for luggage. Fog lights don't do much.

No compromise
By AdamC on 04/30/07 18:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After agonizing over a new car for our family of 4 (we still love our '89 Saab 900) for about 2 years, we finally bought the Canadian GT version of the Mazda5, 5 speed manual. The car is a delight to drive in most ways, if you like a responsive, tight car with good road feel. If you want a jiggly machine that is divorced from the road, then this is the wrong car - it is too zippy and hard-riding. The steering is a highlight, as the car feels beautiful through twisty roads or city streets and the turning radius is small. It also goes quite nicely, despite all of the grumbling about low HP for its curb weight.

Great car, but needs MUCH better A/C.
By wsalopek on 04/28/07 18:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This size vehicle is a truly smart design... just a great idea. I wish the seats were more comfortable, the interior came in a color other than black, and road noise was far less. The A/C system is very weak. In temps above 75-80, the second row is too warm and gets very little cool air, and the third row gets none, defeating COMPLETELY the reason to buy this 3-row vehicle in the first place. I have dark-tinted windows, which helps, but not nearly enough. This vehicle is unusable with the third row occupied in the summer, or even the spring or fall... what a tragic design flaw. Nav system is not great, my GPS PocketPC is more usable. Silver radio trim is blinding at certain sun angles.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.