2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
True Cost to Own
By True Cost to Own on 06/27/09 22:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

By adding the price and the projected cost of ownership the Mazda5 came out #5 for the lowest cost of ownership behind Kia Spectra, Nissan Versa, Hyundai Accent and Pontiac G3. The Mazda5 is a much better vehicle and has many more standard features than any of the above similarly priced vehicles. It's also one of the cheapest cars to insure. According to Consumer Reports the Mazda5 is the most overlooked vehicle in the industry. There's nothing else like it. Not even Kia Rondo can compare to it.

2006 Mazda 5 Sport
By 06SportDrvr on 05/22/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I believe this is a great vehicle for young families. The third row seats are essentially jump seats for kids. You can cram people back there for very short drives only. Very easy to drive, but be warned the seats are very firm (Mazda explains this as being "sport seats" - decide for yourself). The driver's seat now has multiple squeaks within the seat, starting to drive me crazy. I get 24-25 miles per gallon, with a mix of city/highway driving which I think is poor for a 2.3L 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission. Perhaps a bigger engine or 5 speed automatic transmission would help. Shame on Mazda for not properly advertising this vehicle - could probably double sales.

Like brand new!
By pyrexmaniac on 05/19/09 15:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Mazda5 for over three years now and with almost 90,000 miles on the odo, I can think of so few flaws that I can't imagine buying any other vehicle as a replacement in a year or so. Let's see.....it eats tires (what front-drive automobile doesn't?) The carpet is on the cheap side (especially in the Northeast with snow and salt.) There is a big chip in the hood that is starting to rust. The battery has been replaced. Everything else (including the brakes) are as-purchased. The quality is absolutely astounding...not a squeak or rattle on the entire vehicle and the highway ride seems to be getting better over time. The manual transmission is sweeter than the icing on any cake.

A Nice Surprise
By Jim on 05/01/09 12:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Looking to save on gas, I traded my Ford Explorer in for my Mazda5, and haven't looked back. I have 4 kids, so the seating was a must. Being a man, I didn't want a minivan, and this was the perfect crossover (?) for my needs. I've had the car for a full year and just over 10,000 miles now. The absolute best feature is that this micro machine drives like a car. I didn't want the spongy van-like drive like in my wife's Grand Caravan, and this car definitely responds when driving. It is a sporty 4-cyl engine and has no problems at all in the city or on the highway. I added window tint all around to defend against Florida summer heat, and the car always draws people's attention. Love it!

GREAT car with a hidden bug
By pcat007 on 04/29/09 19:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the '5' for more than 3 years, and the whole family (2 adults+2 young kids) loves it. I was looking for something spacious, minivan or larger wagon, with manual transmission. My previous car was a VW Eurovan with manual transmission, but the manual transmission is gone for current models. When I heard about the '5', it was an easy decision. I like everything about the car, except that if I don't drive it for a week, the battery is empty. The Mazda dealer couldn't find the bug, but replaced the battery a few times at no cost. Also, I expected better mileage and the AC is not great for people in the 3rd row. Other than that, fun to drive, lots of space, and inexpensive to maintain.

watch out for electrical gremlins!
By nslimm on 03/24/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new 06 GT 5 speed manual. I really enjoy driving this van and I get great mileage. But during cold weather the e-brake doesn't work all the time and the dealership has tried to fix this 6 times. They have now replaced the calipers on one side only. Also, the headlights flash on and off on their own. I live outside the city so it really is noticeable on the highway when the headlights turn off for two seconds or more. They cycle through 9 or 10 times on and off so it looks like I am warning of a police radar trap ahead! NOT FUNNY! My last trip through the mountains the headlights turned off 34 times over 300 miles.

Excellent for urban and highway driving
By Howard on 03/12/09 07:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving this car for over three years and I am very satisified. It is easy to maneuver and park in city traffic and has an amazingly short turning radius. It is very comfortable for four people traveling long distances. With the manual transmission it gets about 21-22 mpg in the city and 28-30 on the highway. Contrary to some other reports, this car does not seem underpowered to me. It goes through mountains just fine with four passengers, luggage and a bike rack on top. This may be due in part to the manual transmission. However, off-the-line performance is noticeably worse with six in the car. It's not a drag racer, but I have never had any trouble keeping up with traffic.

Mini Van??
By Collin on 12/05/08 06:07 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have found the car to be the perfect car for us. Other than the tires wearing out @30,000 miles, premature death of the battery and 1 bad rear door lock actuator it has been reliable. I have loaded it full to go camping and mountain biking several times; it will lots of stuff, however the 4 cyl does struggle in the mountains when loaded. MPG is great wife gets 24 around town. Doesn't drive like a mini van! Fun to drive.

The Little Strato Blue Wagon That Could
By Davicho on 11/12/08 15:23 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my MZ5 used with 41000 miles which is a little more than normal but seemed very well taken care of. I sold my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe and bought it to replace it, and I do not regret it one bit. I totally love this little wagon. Sporty in and out, awesome handling, peppy, room for six or fold up the seats and have an enormous carrying capacity. Love the slider doors, although many people including my sons tease me for driving a minivan, nonetheless, all the attributes this wagon brings to the table over compensates for the mini-van label, I prefer to call it a "Sport Wagon". My average MPG city and highway combined is a steady 22-23 and I have gotten 28- 29 on pure highway driving.

At Dealer Constantly
By Dan on 11/10/08 07:11 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I was hoping that this vehicle would be perfect for my wife and kids. At 1st you think it should be with the long list of features etc. However, we have had nothing but problems. Have had the struts upfront changed 3 times in 25,000 miles, wind noise from the drivers side door is terrible, the locks have stopped working 4 times. Have had to change key fobs 2 times. The steering column has had to be changed twice because it would slide in and out with zero effort. The rear doors have had to change the locking mechanisms inside because they stopped working. The dealer told me that the car did not have an alarm after the passenger side mirror was broken over night by a thief.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.