2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

perfect island ride
By jlis

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We were looking at small SUVs and within a day or so of buying a Honda CR-V when we just happened to go another car dealership late at night (hopefully missing the salesmen), when we happened on the Mazda5. It was exactly what we had in mind but didn't exist. We drove it once and within an hour owned it. Good gas mileage ($3.00 a gallon on Maui), super fun to drive although a little sluggish. Smooth for a 4 cylinder. Very comfortable seating with great seating visibility. Looks very cool and often find people walking around it in the parking lot. My wife loves the multiple airbags and ability to carry extra kids. Surfboard etc. will fit in the back if wife takes my truck. I've seen better A/C.

Favorite Features

Seating configuration, looks like a space ship, drives like a BMW. Safety factor appears to be good.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger side armrest, walk through between front seats. I had the windows tinted all around. The air conditioner could definitely be improved. Then again the only Mazda5 in the Hawaiian Islands at the time (mine) only came with black interior and carbon gray exterior. (Very hot!).

Tokyo Mini Van
By TanoishiManji

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

An absolute home run by Mazda! Finally a Japanese style "city minivan" has come to the world. This is the perfect minivan to have in Honolulu, or any other major city where space is an issue. It does not compromise on interior space at all, except in the third row seats, which would be ample for young children. A pleasure to drive, with surprising power for a 4 banger, smooth shifting automatic, & ride to match. Tons of carefully thought out details, like under seat storage, table/cooler holder, seats that fold flat with ease, logical controls, courtesy lights, slider doors that make entry easy for your back seaters etc. I drive a S500 as my other car, and I look forward to driving my 5!

Favorite Features

Affordable quality vehicle that is as versatile as it is fun to drive. A Japanese made Mazda that will lead its class with more bang for the buck and bring Japanese "City Car" design to the world. I love the attention to small detail, so smooth and surprisingly roomy, I highly recommend it to all

Suggested Improvements

The seats work best for smaller sized people. If you are a little more "average" size for an American, they could be a bit larger. No armrest for the front passenger, probably because it would restrict the center console operation when down. A great van for the money.

Our First Brand New Car
By clownthebobo

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We were looking around for a new car to replace the Expedition for about 1 month. We looked at a few different cars (Pacifica, Maxima, etc.) until we found the 5. It has exactly what we are looking for! Sporty, good looking, easy on gas, safe (a lot of air bags) and room for family of 4 crammed with luggage. We recently did a 100 mile trip to Victoria, BC. and had no complaints. The handling is so wonderful, understeer is very, very minor. The Navigation works great on major roads and highways, but not in rural areas. Easy in and out of the second row via sliding doors are a blessing. We currently have 900 miles on the 5 and are averaging around 400 miles per tank.

Favorite Features

Styling, seating room/luggage room, safety, standard options, Navigation, 6 disc in dash changer and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Two complaints -- passenger side front seat does not have an arm rest. 2nd, the seat belt retainers in the back are flimsy; Mazda will be replacing it soon.

I LOVE MY CAR
By Devan

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my Mazda5 and I am totally in love, it is so much fun to drive and I have gotten so many compliments so far. I love the fact that it drives just like a sports car but can fit so many people. We are going on a vacation soon and I can't wait to drive it that long. It's very comfortable inside and I love the 6 CD. changer. It's a lot of car for a small amount. I'm so glad I decided on this car instead of the RAV4 or Honda CR-V. It's much more unique. So far I was told I am the only one in my area with the Stellar Silver color and I have to say I like that.

Favorite Features

I love my color. Also the fabric on the inside. The six CD changer is great and the controls on the steering wheel are easier to use.

Suggested Improvements

All I can think of is an armrest on the passenger side.

Great SUV alternative
By frank4cars

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After test-driving dozens of hatchbacks, wagons, and small sport utes over the past few months and not finding anything that felt "just right," this vehicle appeared out of nowhere at my local Mazda dealer. Small on the outside for easy parking, large on the inside for people or stuff-hauling, car-based for better economy and sure-footed handling, but with a high, commanding seating position like the best SUVs -- this met all my needs. I think Mazda should be praised for introducing Americans to the kind of vehicles that Europeans and Asians have been buying for years but other manufacturers were scared to sell here.

Favorite Features

Small package with lots of versatility. Styling, economy, value, fun-to-drive, 6 seats.

Suggested Improvements

Rear A/C, larger engine option, dual armrests on all seats, tinted windows, low-dust brake pads.

EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED
By drspongklong

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is the car I've been waiting for. Un-minivanlike minivan. Perfect size for my family. Beautifully built, luxurious features yet affordable. Mazda got it right. So much fun to drive. Made in Japan so it should be reliable. Am so proud to be one of the first to have it.

Favorite Features

sliding doors, nice alloy wheels, everything in it is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

missed the flat folding front passenger seat of my Matrix.

Great Mom Car
By whit

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is the car I had been looking for but did not know exhisted. When I saw it, I knew it would be perfect for my families' needs. I did not want a clunky mini-van, nor could I afford a gas guzzling, pricy SUV either. The Mazda 5 seats 6 comfortably. I wish the interior were grey rather than black though, because the hot Hawaii sun really heats up the car. Other than that, The Mazda 5 handles curves, and bumps well, and it has a great sound system. Very fun to drive.

Favorite Features

6 seats. Sound system. Safety features like ABS brakes, and air bags galore.

Suggested Improvements

grey interior rather than black. A little bit stronger AC system for hot Hawaii. Maybe rear AC vents.

Just what I was looking for
By tom

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Picked up last week. Was looking for a vehicle with some storage/cargo capability yet with ability to carry 4 or more passengers, all for about $20K. Had looked at (photo) HHR and PT...but this was it at first sight. First one sold from my dealership.

Favorite Features

Windows,great viewing area all around vehicle, side windows in passenger area that go down, not out for ventilation, standard ABS and airbags all around.

Suggested Improvements

Move second power outlet more towards 2nd row of seats, or add one there for the passengers instead of in the rear of the vehicle.

Awesome!!!
By DrSpongklong

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Awesome vehicle. Un-minivan minivan. Sporty yet practical. Beautifully built yet affordable. Perfect size for small family. Power is just adequate. Very good suspension, quiet and very fun to drive. Made in Japan so it should be reliable.

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if the front passenger seat folds forward flat like my old Matrix.

Goes great with our RX-8!
By HottieMWF34DD

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced our Protege5 with this, it is awesome and much better than any of the minivans on the market. We didnt want the lousy gas mileage of an SUV either. It also looks so cool next to the RX-8... both in black, which is the only way I like it... once you go black you never go back!

Favorite Features

The front end of course! I also love how the back seats recline all the way... very useful for having some fun! :)

Suggested Improvements

I wish they offered leather and satellite radio...