Used 2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:

Lovin my new ride!
By Jen

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just love this car! It is a super sweet ride to have with two small kids. I have to agree with the editorial review on all points, there are tiny drawbacks, but this car still rocks.

Favorite Features

The color (stellar green silver), the seating and cargo options, the 6 disc changer,sliding doors, remote entry, sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Top mounted cargo lighting, the low side lighting is weird, and difficult to see well at that angle. Better sound system with mid vehicle speakers. Option to close windows with remote, or after vehicle is turned off.

Great Car
By FL family

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After looking at minivans - we ran into the Mazda5. Seating for 6, good gas mileage, not as large as a minivan, and costs a lot less. A few test drives and we bought one. Back seats fold for dog transport or other items. Good overall size for a family of 4. Mirrored window tinting makes for reflections that can be annoying.

Suggested Improvements

MP3 player plug. Material change for dash to cut reflection. Mazda needs to get on the ball with accessories. You will need a luggage rack for road trips.

Not so soccer mom mini-minivan
By JoeS.

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda 5 is an excellent choice for new parents who have been used to coupes and sedans. While the engine lack is lacking in the performance department, it does the job with some forethought to merging and passing. The fuel economy is excellent and is comparable to most compact to midsize sedans. We use the 5 for myself, my wife and our 5 month old daughter. It provides comfortable seating, and ample storage with the 3rd row folded flat for an oversized stroller, and plenty of remaining cargo space for lots of groceries or a trip to the mall. Only driving complaint comes from a significant blindspot behind the driver left side between the drivers door and the left sliding door. We love it!

Favorite Features

2nd row folds flat (can use a seat as a changing table). Excellent turning radius. Non-minivan looks.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine. Better sound system with built in subwoofer and amp. Rear air conditioning ports. Reading lights in the rear. One more 12v outlet. Manufacturer installed tinted windows.

Family Fun
By Sport Car Family

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I are sport car fans. Since we are due a baby girl this week we opted to trade in our 05 Scion TC for a car that is more family oriented. We tried several SUVs and a couple of sedans. What made us buy the Mazda 5 was the price, features and handling. It doesn't feel like a family car - it feels like a sports car. I foresee no issues with room, power or handling. Of course, we'll have to slow things down a bit, but, again, this car handles and drives with a very sporty and peppy feel.

Favorite Features

3rd row setting, sliding doors on each side, size, handling, seats, interior material is of good quality.

Suggested Improvements

MP3 player and or auxiliary input on stereo. Why Mazda? Why no MP3 player? Would like the front interior lights to come on when I unlock the doors.

A Family Car a Man Doesn't Mind Driving
By AFAngryWarrior

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

At first I told my wife there was no way I was getting a Mazda 5. It looked like a cross between a minivan and a station wagon. How would I ever show my face on the military installation driving what looks like a minivan. I decided to test drive it though figuring it would drive like a minivan and we could finally stop talking about the Mazda 5. Wow, was I wrong! It drives like a Mazda RX8. I got on the highway to see what it could do, popped it over to manual and off we went able to pass anything that stood in my way. Even did a little stop sign challenge with a Mustang who never knew what hit him. This definitely isn't your typical family car!

Favorite Features

Manual/Automatic Crossover transmission, seating configuration, gas mileage, driver seat ergonomics (controls on steering wheel), moonroof, storage room, road handling, full roll down windows on sliding doors.

Suggested Improvements

Better arm rests.