Used 2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:

I love this little van
By robinnola

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am very sad I don't see more Mazda 5's on the road, because this is a terrific car. Mazda doesn't seem to advertise them on the TV or radio, and I didn't even know they existed until I was car shopping and saw it in a newspaper ad. I will not own another car because this model is perfect for me. I'm single and own a home and I can pretty much load anything into this car that a truck could carry. Ladders, Christmas trees, cabinets, 30 bags of mulch...friends. It is zippy and I don't find the acceleration slow--maybe I'm not that kind of driver. It turns on a dime and at 75k miles, I've not had a single issue with the car. Loads of room for me and my cats when we travel to PA from LA.

Favorite Features

Turns on dime and is so fun to drive. It holds a ton of stuff. The seats in the back fold down and you can get really long items in--like a station wagon--but the vertical depth is higher. The sliding doors and the hatch back are great for grocery store parking lots. It has a cool switch blade key which my students think is great. I also love that it has been 100% reliable and other than routine maintenance I've had to fix nothing. I haven't even had to get new brakes yet. The body is sporty and doesn't look like a box on wheels. I also love the amount of air bags and window space.

Suggested Improvements

If there were one thing I would change it would be the air conditioning system. I live in New Orleans and unless you have the air set to recirculate, the car doesn't cool well. I also had the windows tinted because of this. The car has a lot of window space.

Bought Brand new in Jan 2007 Let me tell you what I know to date!
By goodnplenty

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The tires are rediculous on this car, you have to rotate them with EVERY oil change because this car only requires you to get an oil change every 5,000-6,500 You cannot get non Mazda Shocks on this car and apparently noone but Mazda can seem to get the shock to work for than a 8months even if your machanic gets the shocks from mazda. I put after market shocks on my car from 2 diff. mecahnics and they both busted a block down the road. then they replaced them with Mazda shocks and they worked for a while, now Im waiting to see if Mazda will warranty the one that isnt good less than a year later. I drive my car about 60 miles a day back and forth on the Turnpike mostly highwy

Favorite Features

Favorite feauture is the sound system and the sunroof!!!!

Good for a few years....
By carrobbi

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

First, I really, really enjoy driving this car! Had it almost 2.5 yrs. We are a family of 5. (Kids are 2,4,6yrs)Have few overall complaints, the biggest being driving in snow: it doesn't. It goes NOWHERE in snow. Never experienced anything like it before. Regarding tires, our local mechanic put the new ones on (since we've owned it, we've replaced just once) and told us that we'd have to make rotating them a priority in order to help with wear. He suggested once every other oil change. (So, every 6,000 miles.) This car looks good (esp with sunroof), gets good MPG, great sound system, gets around easily. Other moms tell me frequently they love my "can" (Car/van)!!

Favorite Features

My #1 favorite feature is the sunroof. Other favs are the sliding doors, sound system, low profile tires (even if they contribute to the tire issue), bucket seats in 2nd row.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic headlights. (I've ran the battery down more than once.) Hook up for MP3 player. Automatic side doors would be nice as would a left side arm rest for front passenger. Also, more lumbar support in front seats.

Just purchased!
By mazdaman21

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased this vehicle used from a Chevy dealer. They broke the key, so all I have for now is a key that flips out and no remote access for lock/unlock, but have a new key on order ($250). The car sounds like a tin can when starting up, not sure if that is normal or not. I also have to complain about the WEAK a/c. I live in Louisiana where it has been over 100 degrees the past two weeks. Turn the air on high and it barely does justice. I love driving to work in this micro-van, I do about 70-75. Until I hit a bump, it sounds like it is going to fall apart. I have read about suspension issues, so I am going to have the dealer check it out. Overall, the looks got me on this!! Love it!!

Favorite Features

Size. Functionality. Sliding doors. Folding third row.

Suggested Improvements

Better ac system.

1 Month Test Pt. 1
By the_hero87

2006 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for about a month. I'm taking a trip next week from WI to Washington D.C. I'll write another review when I get back. I bought my 06 Mazda5 with just over 82K miles. I've driven about 1,000mi and I haven't had anything happen with the car that I feel makes this vehicle any less than a 5/5. The couple of things I noticed where: I had to pop in one of the plastic fillers where the fog lights are, as mine doesn't have that option and it popped out. I also did notice that, no, it isn't the best in the snow. But it's a 4 cylinder wagon, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!? But I know with a good set of snow tires, she'll do just fine. Ample fuel mileage, about 23cty, 28hwy.

Favorite Features

I really like the interior. The seats and console, all built nicely. I bought the car with future family in mind. For now, there are only 2-4 adults riding in it for the most part. I keep the 3rd row folded down for now for extra cargo space. People are right, the 3rd row isn't fit for an adult. But remember you bought a mini-mini van. You want ample room in the 3rd row, should have bought an actual mini van. Overall I like where the cup holders, storage, etc are placed. I also like the 6-disc cd changer. The sound system is nice, although I will upgrade with higher end speakers soon.

Suggested Improvements

The interior lights are bit dim at night, so brighten those a bit. Also the cigarette lighter is a bit too low and hidden. Make that higher. For me, it gets good fuel economy, but I can see how people may not like it. For a 4 cylinder, it isn't the best, and it could be better. A design flaw is no arm rest on the front passenger seat. I don't get that. I'll write another review when I return from my trip