Used 2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews - 201 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Great Family Car Good Quality Dependable
By Aaron

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This care / min-van is really a great design. I am surprised that Mazda is not producing them after 2015. It has the room of a small mini-van with 3rd row seats and six passengers. Admittedly the third row is not for adults on long trips. Not much room...Great for kids though.

Excellent on gas at 24 in the city and 27-28 on the highway. I owned mine from 2009-2015 in that time I had to do some repairs. Nothing major. Engine is great, air conditioning runs strong and still ice-cold. My one complaint is the road noise from the low profile tires and they are SOFT so you better rotate them often and still plan on replacing them every couple years. They wear out fast!. The engine mounts on this car are also a joke. By 120,00 miles I had to replace all 3 of them. If you notice noise, vibration etc. it's the mounts. Also the front shocks / struts are not that great and I had to replace them as well. However dollar for dollar the Mazda 5 was a GREAT solution to my family needs. A really good value for the money when compared to a Nissan, Honda, or toyota...that are all much more expensive alternatives.

Super fun to drive. good sound system with a sound roof. I will miss her. Zoom Zoom...

When I sold her she had 164,000 miles and was still going strong. Everything worked but the windows and door locks were a little buggy. All and all still awesome for a car almost 10 years old. I took care of her so she still looked good.

Bad in the long run
By Dennis

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Don't buy. Expensive to maintain. Took time to get part. Had horrible trade in value

I love this little van
By robinnola

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am very sad I don't see more Mazda 5's on the road, because this is a terrific car. Mazda doesn't seem to advertise them on the TV or radio, and I didn't even know they existed until I was car shopping and saw it in a newspaper ad. I will not own another car because this model is perfect for me. I'm single and own a home and I can pretty much load anything into this car that a truck could carry. Ladders, Christmas trees, cabinets, 30 bags of mulch...friends. It is zippy and I don't find the acceleration slow--maybe I'm not that kind of driver. It turns on a dime and at 75k miles, I've not had a single issue with the car. Loads of room for me and my cats when we travel to PA from LA.

Turns on dime and is so fun to drive. It holds a ton of stuff. The seats in the back fold down and you can get really long items in--like a station wagon--but the vertical depth is higher. The sliding doors and the hatch back are great for grocery store parking lots. It has a cool switch blade key which my students think is great. I also love that it has been 100% reliable and other than routine maintenance I've had to fix nothing. I haven't even had to get new brakes yet. The body is sporty and doesn't look like a box on wheels. I also love the amount of air bags and window space.

If there were one thing I would change it would be the air conditioning system. I live in New Orleans and unless you have the air set to recirculate, the car doesn't cool well. I also had the windows tinted because of this. The car has a lot of window space.

Bought Brand new in Jan 2007 Let me tell you what I know to date!
By goodnplenty

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The tires are rediculous on this car, you have to rotate them with EVERY oil change because this car only requires you to get an oil change every 5,000-6,500

You cannot get non Mazda Shocks on this car and apparently noone but Mazda can seem to get the shock to work for than a 8months even if your machanic gets the shocks from mazda.
I put after market shocks on my car from 2 diff. mecahnics and they both busted a block down the road.
then they replaced them with Mazda shocks and they worked for a while, now Im waiting to see if Mazda will warranty the one that isnt good less than a year later.

I drive my car about 60 miles a day back and forth on the Turnpike mostly highwy

Favorite feauture is the sound system and the sunroof!!!!

Good for a few years....
By carrobbi

2006 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

First, I really, really enjoy driving this car!
Had it almost 2.5 yrs.
We are a family of 5.
(Kids are 2,4,6yrs)Have few overall complaints, the biggest being driving in snow: it doesn't.
It goes NOWHERE in snow.
Never experienced anything like it before.
Regarding tires, our local mechanic put the new ones on (since we've owned it, we've replaced just once) and told us that we'd have to make rotating them a priority in order to help with wear.
He suggested once every other oil change. (So, every 6,000 miles.)
This car looks good (esp with sunroof), gets good MPG, great sound system, gets around easily. Other moms tell me frequently they love my "can" (Car/van)!!

My #1 favorite feature is the sunroof. Other favs are the sliding doors, sound system, low profile tires (even if they contribute to the tire issue), bucket seats in 2nd row.

Automatic headlights. (I've ran the battery down more than once.) Hook up for MP3 player. Automatic side doors would be nice as would a left side arm rest for front passenger. Also, more lumbar support in front seats.