Some early impressions
By cre8tive1 on
2014 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)
I've only been driving this Mazda 3 Touring hatchback for a little over a week, so take what I say for what it's worth. However, I am comparing this 2014 to my 2004 Mazda 6 i manual 5 speed which I traded for the current car. First, let me say I'm loving the looks of this car and enjoy the overall performance. While it's no powerhouse, the 2.0 has enough Zoom-zoom to feel spirited and enjoyable to drive. Unfortunately with the combination of 155 hp and auto transmission, there is a noticeable lack of power compared to my 10 year old Mazda 6. By comparison, I was able to attain at 0-60 time of 8.4 seconds in the 6 but only a disappointing 10.5 seconds in the new Mazda 3.
Favorite Features
Gas milage so far seems comparable with the older car at about 28 mpg in mixed driving. Visually, this car is fantastic to look at, however, looking out of it from the interior is a real challenge. On one particular curve I lost an entire UPS truck in the blind-spot created by the driver's A-pillar. Head rests and B-pillars block block about 30 percent of your peripheral vision, so I am extremely happy I sprung for the blind spot monitoring. It's almost a necessity. I love the appearance of the seats in this car and really enjoy the supportive bolstering, unfortunately with my waist size of 38" and proportional body, I'm a little too wide for these seats.
Suggested Improvements
Seating probably wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for a poorly placed seam stitch in the side bolsters. The edge of the fabric digges into my side in a very uncomfortable way after about 30 minutes of driving. Cabin noise is very minimal with less road noise than my 10 year old Mazda 6, though there is some rear tire noise to be heard with the hatchback. Road-feel through the steering wheel is really good and handling through twisty Tennessee roads is very stable but not as immediately responsive with the 16" rims and tallish rubber on the all-season radials when compared to the 18" rims and low profile tires on my old Mazda 6. That's it for now. I may be back later with more.