2014 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring Sedan Makeover: The Poor Man’s Luxury Sport Car
By nfp on
2014 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
This is my 5th Mazda and by far the best of a good lot. At this early juncture, so far this model, entirely re-designed from front to back outside and inside, appears to be every bit as good as claimed by the automotive reviews that have lauded it as best in the compact class. I chose the classy, sporty-looking sedan over the odd-shaped hatchback that I don’t feel is anywhere near as nice-looking. This car looks, feels and drives a class above others in the compact class, which is good because at the S Grand Touring trim level it's more expensive. It's also more comfortable to ride in than my two previous 3s (2008 and 2010). My buns thank Mazda because the ride is still firm.
Favorite Features
EXTERIOR: A gorgeous, sleek, aggressive, Kodo-designed body that wows from aggressive grill and Xenon headlights to trunk and in between. My Meteor Gray color sparkles from a fine paint job. INTERIOR: Much more comfortable electronically controlled front seats with better bottom and lumbar support. Clean, stylish and less cluttered, button-free dashboard, and great audio & comms display & functionality. Better quality interior paneling than in previous models with a cool carbon-look trim that appears more premium than it is. RIDE AND PERFORMANCE: Good pickup especially above 2,500 RPM when highway-cruising in the 4,000-6,000 RPM range. Firm, responsive steering, cornering.
Suggested Improvements
- Still need to do something about Mazda's lousy, inflexible cup-holder layout. The best cabin storage space I had was on my 2000 and 2004 Mazdas. Since then, they’ve removed some of the hidden compartments that were useful and easy to get to. Bad move. Trunk cargo space of 47.1 cubic feet is adequate, but unexplainably less than in my 2008 and 2010 3s. Split fold-down rear seats help somewhat. Rear seats for 2 are perfectly workable for short rides with front seats moved up a bit, but still more cramped than I would think necessary, and seem less roomy than in my previous 3s despite longer wheel base. Exterior noise level predictably still high, if less so.