Commuting is fun again
By daveshoot on
2014 Mazda Mazda3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I have been driving 45 mi. per day in an older Tacoma, so perhaps I am too easily impressed... but this car is amazing. Exterior looks, check. Just look at one. Interior is wow! for a Mazda, and the seats are very comfortable. This model is loaded with tech, like the radar blind spot detection, pacing cruise control, impressive and intuitive infotainment system, adaptive headlights that steer, etc. But driving is what it's all about and it's what this Mazda is all about. It is fast and nimble. Until you hit the Sport mode button, it is really just a very tight and competent little car. The Sport mode unleashes it's inner potential and it just wants to go. I am glad I got the 2.5L!
Favorite Features
Sport Mode. Paddle shifters on wheel. Steering is excellent. About 1/3 of my drive is steep twisty mountain road; for the first time in a long time, I can't wait to go to work. Quiet ride for a little car. Infotainment controls on center console allow full control while driving safely, very well thought out. Voice activation and phone integration are excellent. Reasonable amount of rear cargo area, and seats fold down 60/40 for more. If it approaches advertised fuel economy after break in, that will be a favorite feature, too. It's how I justified the purchase.
Suggested Improvements
It's still new, so the new toy euphoria will be tempered after longer ownership. I cried over the additional $$ for the 2.5L but now I can't remember spending it. I don't know if I have the right key but I wish it had a separate button for the rear door. The cool exterior lines do create some view obstructions, although it is not annoying. I am just used to a pickup cab. I am really struggling to suggest improvements; another 30 hp might be nice, but I will probably get in trouble with the 184 that it came with.