2014 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda 3 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Best car in its class
By sp00q

2014 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I got my 2014 Mazda 3 GS a couple of months ago, after extensive research of the compact car market. My conclusion was that Mazda 3 is simply the best non-luxury compact car money can buy in 2014. The car: excellent handling, exceptional fuel economy, lively engine that lets you have some fun, great chassis and body. The features: obviously, there are a lots of differences with all the trims and options, but my GS has everything I could ever possibly need; I especially appreciate the back-up camera, navigation system, heated seats and automatic headlights & wipers. The not so great: manual control of the A/C and road noise at highway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

A word about the polarizing dash-mounted screen. This is the exact set-up used by the likes of Mercedes, Audi and BMW. If one were to buy the Mercedes Benz CLA, which is the luxury compact car offered by Benz (at double the price of a Mazda 3) then one would have an aftermarket looking-like screen just like in the Mazda 3. If it's good enough for a $50K Benz owner, surely a $20K Mazda owner can't complain. Plus, the more you use it, the more you realize that the placement is just right, allowing you to keep your eyes on the road. So, while it does look odd at first, this is actually a feature inspired by the luxury auto makers and a damn good one too.

We love this car!
By tomandtess

2014 Mazda 3 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We traded in our 2011 Ford Fiesta for this car. While the Fiesta was fun to drive on short trips, going any distance caused my husband to have to see his chiropractor! After trying out five different vehicles and doing tons of research, we knew this was the car for us! We have two crew cab 4WD trucks and a minivan. We just wanted another car for when he and I take long road trips, skiing, running errands, etc. and still get great gas mileage. We found it!

Favorite Features

Heated, comfortable seats, back-up camera, infotainment center, Bose system, plenty of room for back seat passengers, plenty of storage for skis and all that stuff, so much fun to drive, beautiful styling inside and out...stands out from all other compact cars, love the hatchback versatility, and great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

My husband and I are 53 and 52 and very active people. We've owned a lot of vehicles and this is one of the best!

Upbeat Mazda 3
By vonpeter

2014 Mazda 3 Sedan i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Mazda has done something weird and wonderful with their Skyactiv technology. This car drives like a diesel: lots of torque, changes gears quickly, and sports spectacular fuel consumption. I get why it was nominated for car of the year. I felt the Corolla was like driving something front another era, another world compared to the Mazda-3.

Favorite Features

Fit and finish; dash. I am not a huge fan of the pop up display which does not pop up, but sits erect permanently. MBenz B250 has done this also - don't get it.

Suggested Improvements

Would much prefer display (camera, etc.) to be mounted in dash like the CX-5. Mount rear stop light housing somewhere else - the rear view is small enough without this. I simply hate the voice that asks me whether I want to phone the Kids, when I have given the command to, guess what - "calls Kids..."

great all around with odd omissions
By brant82

2014 Mazda 3 Sedan i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After getting a monthly lease down below $185CAD we could talk about the base model. I couldn't have been happier to find out that the base model does NOT have the horrible tablet slapped on the dash. My requirements were a 6spd manual, blue tooth and a trunk large enough to hold my golf clubs year round. The hatch did not have enough space for the golf clubs so it was out and for the price point no other auto maker had anything that could compare.

Favorite Features

The brakes, and handling are great. Bluetooth works 99% of the time Overall driving is a great experience

Suggested Improvements

number one on the list no freaking tach. NONE at all. like it's 1930. and the upgraded model the tach is still useless, you need to spend WRX $ for a working tach. All of the interior materials scratch/rub on everything it looks like kids of been running crayons over every surface i have touched with a knee or elbow while driving. The stereo thing stuck to the dash well it speaks for itself. lack of rear 60/40 slit seats is ridiculous. No information about the car, no temp gauge it's the same as the 1990 civicDX i had. If you are a chump and love wasting $$ you can get options that a used car for half the price from 2 years ago has... arrrgggg

Reliable, Economical, and Fun to drive!
By jb57

2014 Mazda 3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is our 2nd Mazda (wife owns 2012 Mazda 5) and we've been very pleased with both vehicles. Mine is the 2014 Mazda 3 sedan sport edition w/ manual shift. Am averaging 36 mpg. Before buying, I test drove a Civic, Corolla, and Cruze. All seemed to be good vehicles but the Mazda stood out for its handling and appearance. Leg room and head room are just fine (I'm 6' 2"). Trunk space is larger than I expected. The engine is quiet as a kitten. My only knocks are the average looking cloth seats (I replaced w/ leather) and road noise on select highways. But, boy are these cars fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Wonderful handling, exterior appearance, interior design, a ton of features for the money. I did extensive research before buying my Mazda 3. All of the reviews ... and I mean all of them praised the vehicle for dependability, safety, handling, and performance. I had no reason to look elsewhere after test-driving it.

Suggested Improvements

The radio which sits atop of the dashboard looks aftermarket. If this is the "preferred" design, make it so that the radio can be concealed within the dashboard with a push of a button and then re-released with a 2nd push. The 2014 Mazda 3 comes in only two colors of cloth seats - black and sand. Both are functional but neither stands out as engaging or augmenting the look of the vehicle. With just a little more $$$ I would think Mazda could improve on the fabric that is chosen.