Watch out! Rolls backwards when in auto-drive on hills
By sfmaggie on
2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)
The automatic transmission doesn't behave like other automatics. I learned this at a stop sign on a steep hill. It was frightening to roll backwards uncontrollably. Took it to the dealer and mechanics said they hadn't heard of such a thing. They tested it on a steep ramp and confirmed what I said. They couldn't find any documentation on how to fix this, so they called their helpline and were told that's just what these automatic transmissions do. There's an item in the owner's manual they were pointed to that instructs drivers to slowly accelerate the gas while letting out the brake pedal. I had more control on hills with a standard stick shift.
Suggested Improvements
I bought an automatic transmission assuming it would be safer on hills than my stick shift. Consumers should be told the car rolls backwards on hills before they buy so they can make an informed choice., Better yet, Mazda, please figure out a way to fix this for those of us who have already purchased these cars.
By sfmaggie
on 10/26/12 16:47 PM (PDT)

Why does this posting have 5 stars when I didn't rate it with 5 stars? To reiterate: I'm unhappy that the manufacturer sells this with a known design flaw that is a safety issue, especially in a hilly area like San Francisco.

By caloyski
on 10/28/12 21:06 PM (PDT)

i think any car with an automatic transmission will behave the same on a very steep incline. it depends on how much gas is fed in it that prevents it from sliding back. comparing it to a manual stick shift is like comparing apples to oranges.