Tirrirrrr sound from engine
By jangk on
2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)
I bought 3 HB skyactiv 2.0 I touring a month ago. I drive city & hwy (60% & 40%), and get Average 36MPG, which is good. But, When I drive, I hear a very odd sound, that is heard like "Tirrrrr ttirrrirrrrrrr". It is not normal engine sound, it is extra abnormal sound. Especially in low speed, and at stop sign, that sound is very annoying. I told that problem to dearlership, but they couldn't find out the problem, and didn't fix it. I like eternal design and six speed auto transmission, but I don't want to recommend this vehicle to my friend.
Favorite Features
feul economy, external design, dashboard, automatic transmission.
Suggested Improvements
please make engine perfect, in other words, remove annoying engine sound.
By jangk
on 12/29/11 08:14 AM (PST)

I know there are 3 different engines in Mazda 3 (old 2.0 engine of 3 Sedan, new 2.0 SkyActiv of 3 HB & Sedan, old 2.5 of 3 HB S & Sedan s). There is no annoying sound in old 2.0 engine and 2.5 S. But in new 2.0 SkyActiv, you can hear extra odd sound irrelevant to normal engine sound. I also never heard the odd sound while I was taking a test drive. and for first 4 days, I never heard. But, after 5 days of purchasing, the sound began to be heard. nowadays, in order not to hear that sound, I always turn on the radio or CD with setting the sound lever over 40. There is no solution except that try for me.

By jangk
on 01/05/12 10:52 AM (PST)

According to your experience, when you turn on the heating, then you cannot the wierd sound. But it is not because of warming up or warm heat, but because of the sound of heating which overrap the still being pronounced weird sound. In sum, the weird sound(it's heard Krrrrrrr, TTirrrrrrrrr) is not removed by turning on heating. The reason why you do not hear the sound when you turn on the heating is that the heating operating sound covers the wierd Krrrrrrr sound. At stop sign, and in low speed, you can hear the sound, but in high speed, you can't hear it because of louder road noise than the wierd sound. It is not related to weather or warming up the engine or warm inside of car. My mileage is over 1800 now, but the sound is still pronounced loudly. No solution !!! Very disappointed !!

By motorex
on 02/09/12 13:09 PM (PST)

The noise appears to be related to the direct injection system... Please do not mistake this noise for a problem with the car. Yes, the noise might be annoying, but it does not represent a component or mechanical failure or pose any risks to the safety of the car. If there are enough complaints about the sound, Mazda will eventually issue a recall to fix it.

By jangk
on 01/03/12 08:34 AM (PST)

I also will try to call directly the Mazda company. But 2 weeks ago, I directly emailed to Mazda company with the problem. Then, the issue was transferred to the representative of the dearlership in which I bought, so they was informed by me that issue, and they drove the car with me, but they just explained that " problem is because of new SkyActive transmission, so we cannot sovle the problem fundamentally because the wierd sound is part of manufacture." So with disappointment, I returned to my home.... ....I live Philadelphia suburban area, which means I live in a little bit cold area, but the wierd sound is not related to the cold weather......... If many Mazda3 SkyActiv owners appeal to Mazda Company directly with the issue, I hope the problem may be solved. Thank you again, Mazda3Owner1.

By jangk
on 01/06/12 07:43 AM (PST)

the Mazda 3 is very fun to drive oriented car. I admit the fact if it has no the annoying sound. But due to the annoying sound, it is never fun to drive. At least for me.

By mazda3owner1
on 01/03/12 16:49 PM (PST)

I called Mazda. They will schedule a Mazda tech to go to my dealership and test drive the car with me. I hope others with this problem will do the same. We are under warranty, so they have to do something. And we don't know yet what this issue really means as far as safety issues, etc. Besides, some people with SkyActiv are not having this problem, so what's the difference? I drove with my heat on tonight, it was 23 degrees. The sound does go away when the car is really warm. I, too, am in southeastern PA. Please let me know if Mazda addresses this for you and I will post again after I meet with the tech.

By atpkinesin
on 01/06/12 09:31 AM (PST)

I also hear this problem, but do not find it annoying, especially if you have music or the heater on, or, im guessing, the AC on. i just wanted my opinion here for those considering buying the car. sorry that it is so annoying to you jangk, and i do agree that it would be best if mazda could find some way to add supplemental sound isolation to mitigate it completely.

By caloyski
on 04/10/12 07:10 AM (PDT)

previous mazda3 does not have the new direct injection skyactiv engine. some may not even notice the soound because it is just barely there, but again, i don't think it's broken just because it sounds a bit different from your typical older model engines.

By jangk
on 01/02/12 19:58 PM (PST)

Thank Mazda3Owner1 for your sharing your experience of your SkyActive 3. My car mileage is over 1700 miles by now, and the wierd sound is still heard, from the front right side of dash, actually from the engine under the hood. When you drive the car in low speed, you can hear it, but in high speed(such as in hwy) your can't hear it because of road noise even though it is still pronounced. In my belief, the only solution is that the Mazda company must recall all the new SkyActive mazda3, and fix the problem fundamentally. If they won't, customers would not buy the car.

By designeer
on 01/05/12 20:08 PM (PST)

Hey guys, i test-drove mazda 3 touring last week and i heard the same noise. And i instantly knew that it is due to the direct gas injection system. Recently many companies have implanted 'direct injection system' on gasoline engine for better gas mileage. But this technique isn't that simple. (google 'direct injection system') Basically it is noisy system. Just some companies are good at conceal it. While Mazda is poor at sound proofing as known to everybody. But the real problem is this engine is the 1st gen direct injection system from Mazda and i cannot predict its reliability. (many diesel engines with direct injection system on them have durability issues.) So i'm hesitating to buy a 3 touring despite of its gas mileage, handling and happy smiley face.

By jangk
on 12/24/11 06:24 AM (PST)

the dearlership said, the odd sound is heard because of unique SkyActiv engine. And they said they have no solution. But in any other car, I have never heard that kind of weird sound.

By rmannj
on 01/04/12 13:40 PM (PST)

Mazda3Owner1 and jangk, thank you for your reviews on this. I am still waiting for my car delivery but this issue is quite alarming. Mazda3Owner1, are you saying that the sound goes away after the car warms up? do you meant the engine warms up or when the heater in the car is on? I had a similar issue with my Mazda6 2005 - the heater propeller was kinda loud and quote annoying, although I dont notice it anymore. jangk, did you notice the same as the temperature goes up the noise goes away? I hope Mazda reps really look into this, otherwise it will be a big issue for their entire SkyActive line-up (3, CX-5 etc)

By jangk
on 01/06/12 07:39 AM (PST)

In my case, I hear the weird sound not only in accelerating but also braking. Even at stop sign, when I shift my gear to neteural, the sound is heard. But taking my foot off the accel pedal to decrease to stop, at that moment the weird sound goes away. And then, once again put my foot on the braking pedal, the sound is being heard again. No solution for SkyActiv engine !!!

By rmannj
on 01/02/12 13:53 PM (PST)

@jangk, sorry to hear that. I did not notice noise when I was test driving mine. Hopefully the noise on your car will go away. Did you have your first oild change? I had similar issue with my old Nissan Sentra: steering wheel was making noise on my car, exactly the same car did not have it, dealer said he could not do anything. I initiated investigation with Nissan and one of their inspectors took the car and confirmed it is ok (in his opinion). @3francakes, I like GT trim, lots of features standard... 3i Touring is good too and I was considering it at first. for me leather trim was important (not that i like leather.... i just hate cloth). I am getting mine with tech package too. Still waiting for my delivery :)

By rmannj
on 01/05/12 19:59 PM (PST)

jangk, question for you, did you change engine oil after first 1000 miles. I am not saying it should resolve anything, but it is recommended for all new cars, so maybe the engine noise will go away or at least won't be as loud. Also, my coworker (per my recommendation of course) also bought 3 HB Touring a month ago ... I checked with him today, his car makes this weird noise only first couple minutes till the engine heats up and only if the car is parked outside (its been cold last couple days in Jersey).

By mazdasb
on 02/23/12 18:18 PM (PST)

Bought a skyactive mazda 3 one month ago and also noticed the engine noise. Has anybody obtained an explanation from Mazda about that? My previous car was a Mazda 3 2005 and it did not make that noise. I know it is not the same engine but wasn't the 2005 Mazda 3 also a direct gas injection engine?

By 3francakes
on 12/31/11 00:51 AM (PST)

Rmannji, Is it worth getting the 3i GT HB over the 3i touring with the moonroof?

By jangk
on 01/05/12 11:18 AM (PST)

When you drive in high speed on Hwy, you don't hear the annoying sound because of the louder road noise. In the same principle, when you turn on heating, you don't hear the same sound because of the heat operating sound. So, even though you drive the car continually drive over one hour on the road, if your speed is in low, you still hear the annoying sound. Try to turn off the heating at stop sign after turning on while you drive, then you can hear the sound again. No matter driving hour, heating, or weather, the annoying sound is produced.

By mazdasb
on 02/23/12 18:18 PM (PST)

By izoomzoom
on 02/26/12 10:00 AM (PST)

@mazdasb The Mazdaspeed version of the Mazda6 has had direct injection since 2005, but SkyActiv is the first direct injection engine for the Mazda3.

By rmannj
on 12/28/11 21:09 PM (PST)

Congratulations on your new 3i. I am waiting for my 3i GT HB (will be delivered next month). Regarding the noise, did you compare it another SkyActiv Mazda 3 or Mazda 3 s? There are 3 different engines, so it is possible the sound is different. I did not notice anything, I took it for a test drive for 15 or so minutes.

By mazda3owner1
on 01/05/12 00:47 AM (PST)

The sound seems to reduce after running the heater. I was wondering if cold climates added to the problem, since jangk and I both live in the same climate. Now, today, it was 16 degrees and the problem was minimal. There was whistling mostly upon acceleration. The humidity today was low. I don't know if these climate issues are factors or not. The climate here is normally humid. I was trying to ascertain if people in warmer and dryer climates had this issue. For me, the issue is intermittant, but concerning. It has occurred sitting idle and when moving. After driving for 15+ miles, then I hear it upon acceleration. I believe it is worse at 10-30 mph than it is at 50-65 mpg. If I hear the sound, then turn on the heater, it seems to alleviate. I just hope this issue is not indicative of safety or reliability issues. I also noticed a lawn mower type sound when on winding roads.

By caloyski
on 01/07/12 07:23 AM (PST)

I also have the skyactive mazda 3. yup it does have that engine note/sound, however, just because we are not used to hearing that---it doesn't mean it's broken guys. it has a new & different engine. Before buying this mazda, I test drove also the new impreza---the cvt sounded weird as well (whinning sound) but again it's really like that and it was my first time to try a cvt. I hope we don't depreciate our cars too much with your worries with that sound. If the car stops working, then maybe the engine has a problem, if it just sounds different---maybe it's because it just has a different engine :)

By mazda3owner1
on 01/02/12 16:32 PM (PST)

I bought the 2012 Skyactiv engine, 4-door sedan a few weeks ago and I, too, hear weird engine noises. I would describe it as a whistling sound under the hood. I thought it was a serpentine belt issue, and took it back to the dealer. They told me I had to give the car 200-500 miles to break-in. I still heard the noise after 500 miles, so I took it back today. Now, they are saying the noise is coming from the electronic steering and is a normal sound. I don't believe this. I think it is a skyactiv issue and they really don't know how to fix this. I am not a mechanic, so I don't know how big a problem this is. I did not notice this sound when I test drove the car. I also just remembered that the dealership had the heat turned on the day I test drove it. I don't know if maybe the heat stopped the noise or not. The noise is intermittant. There are also times when the engine is completely silent. I also noticed a lawn mower sound when I drive on winding back roads. They said, this too, is normal. I doubt this also. I am under warranty, but what good does that do if they don't know what this issue is?

By rmannj
on 01/05/12 20:21 PM (PST)

designeer, thanks for the info. it appears to be exactly the case here. turns other cars have the same issue (googled direct injection noise)... lexus, audi. so as designeer suggested it is not only 3i and probably Mazda did not do the best job concealing it.

By izoomzoom
on 02/26/12 09:56 AM (PST)

I just got my new Mazda 3 and do NOT hear any weird engine noises. I don't know when mine was made but maybe this was "fixed" in production?

By mazda3owner1
on 01/03/12 04:50 AM (PST)

Hey jangk, I am going to report this issue to Mazda tonight. I wanted to ask you to do the same thing. Their number is 800-222-5500, option 6. Since the dealers don't seem to know what's wrong, it may be a good idea to let Mazda know directly. Also, what type of climate do you live in? I was curious if cold weather has something to do with the issue. I live on the East Coast and it is cold here. On the day I test drove the car, it was about 47 degrees and it has been colder since.

By mazda3owner1
on 01/06/12 00:31 AM (PST)

Thanks designeer. It seems jangk's issue is more constant than mine is and others don't hear it all. I wonder if it is worse in the hatchback for some reason. Why is this? I will google direct injection later. For me it is intermittant. If I hear the sound, then turn on the heat for several minutes, then turn the heat off, the sound is gone. Today, again, at 31 degrees, it whistled for the first few minutes after starting the car and backing out of my space this morning, then stopped. After 20 minutes of driving, I heard the sound only when I accelerated.