2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Review: The Perfect Utility Commuter C

2012 Mazda 3 - Consumer Review

i Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual w/SKYACTIV-G)

The Perfect Utility Commuter Car
By tr_pe on

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Having a 70 mile (round trip) commute to drive every day will make you think long and hard about what you want in a car. I waited about 4 months to write this review so I would have a large sample size to go on. About 80-85% of my driving are freeway miles, in San Francisco Bay Area traffic. Having now put about 9,000 miles on the car, I can tell you unequivocally that I made the right choice in a new vehicle. I am AVERAGING 39 mpg. I could probably get better than 40 if I slowed down a little. I've had the mileage get as high as 44.5 mpg over a 35 mile stretch with the cruise control locked in at 65 mph. YSeats are comfy for extended drives. Manual tranny and clutch are very precise.

Fuel mileage is great, and you will see higher MPG's with premium fuel. Interior is very comfy (I'm a 6 footer). Handling is excellent. Acceleration is OK. I wasn't real impressed with the automatic version that I test drove, but the 6-speed manual is outstanding. Driver ergonomics are good. The instrument cluster (a personal pet peeve of mine with most car makers) is perfect. Trip computer is useful and well placed. Steering wheel controls are excellent. Audio system is passable, but nothing to rave about. Bluetooth system, including voice commands works exactly like it should. Environmental controls are basic, but work well.

I would like to see better environmental controls (e.g. actual temperature setting). A heads-up display would complete what is otherwise a nearly perfect driver setup.