If you have a highway commute...
By mattman44 on
2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)
...set cruise @ 65 through one full tank. Since then my last 5 full tanks have gone from steady 37-38 to over 40mpg, peaking at 42.5 (doing math). It can be done you just have to be smart. Cruise helps more than I thought. Lifetime computer average @ 38.3 after 13k so far. Traded Rio after Kia lied about mpg. 3 is bigger, more fun to drive and much more efficient. A few more standard features would help but my smartphone covers most I would want. Easiest self oil change car I've owned. Next gen looks better but probably more $. Seats more for sport than comfort. Feels solid/reliable. Ride slightly harsh, but drove NJ-FL without chronic injury. Space is useable, lower cargo floor would help.
Favorite Features
Unlike others Skyactiv Tech is not hype. 475-525 mile tank range. Check out Fuelly. It's not just me. Love the hatch option. Save the manuals! You can customize the turn signal clicker volume...brilliant. Rear headrests don't have to be removed to fold the seats flat.
Suggested Improvements
-Extra long sun visors to, ya know, cover more than 20 percent of the side window. -Softer suspension option. -More detailed trip computer. -Less stiff seating. -Power window switches seem too far forward.