25,000 MILE UPDATE
By hoveringfalcon on
2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)
I've had my 3 for just over a year, and have put 25,000 miles on it. I still think it's a fantastic car. It's not perfect, and I will soon explain why, but it provides a superb combination of sportiness and fuel efficiency that is unmatched in its class. If you love driving but need something that sips gas, look no further. However if you prioritize comfort and luxury options above all else, you might want to cross shop before you buy.
Favorite Features
Its handling is best in class without a doubt. The chassis is composed around corners no matter how fast you're going, and the steering is effortless. Spend some with the car and you should notice just how good the automatic transmission is. It loves to downshift and is extremely responsive overall. Fuel efficiency is exemplary. I average about 36 in the spring/fall, 31-33 in the summer depending on AC usage, and 29-30 in the winter with lots of snow and warming the car up in the mornings. 40+ mpg is very possible on the highway. Also commendable is the stability control system. It's amazing in the snow and can be turned off for spirited driving.
Suggested Improvements
The driver seat just isn't comfortable for me. The bulbous center stack and thick underside of the steering wheel work in tandem to annoy me. My right leg has no space unless I slide the seat back, and then I'm too far from the steering wheel. Of course you can telescope the wheel, but it takes a lot of playing with to get it to the perfect position and it's a huge hassle in my opinion. The AC doesn't cut it in the summer. It gets the job done, but never blows truly cold air. Also the stock tires suck. They're OK when dry, but slide too much in the rain. Replace them for a world of difference in terms of performance.