2012 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
GREAT CAR!!! FORGET FADING COROLLA AND PLASTIC INJECTED HYUNDAI
By zoomhugger on 02/14/12 23:17 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 09/11 (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

BEST car ever invested with more appreciation to Mazda company than what I expected in other compact cars. NEVER will I own the cliche Toyota or plastic injected Hyundai. Forget about people saying "oh, you have to have car as reliable as Toyota or Honda.. BS. Any car in the Mazda line are much reliable and better built than family picnic Corolla, experimental Elantra, questionable crush proof Civic and BMA wanna-be Jetta also over-compensating interior light show Focus. Very glad to own a car that not what everyone on the road is whining about . I feel totally safe in this car than my Honda. I'd recommend this car to anyone and will continue to follow future Mazda's.

Second Mazda 3 - same zoom; better mileage
By madriver10 on 02/11/12 13:28 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We traded in a 2004 mazda 3 sedan for a 2012 mazda 3 i Grand Touring hatchback with all the options. Also looked at the Focus Titanium and Subaru Impreza. Both seemed like solid cars, but Focus was more expensive for similar specs, and we don't need the AWD (and slightly lower mpg) of the Impreza. The Mazda hatchback has plenty of room in the hatch for a medium-size dog, and is still a fun-to-drive compact car. Our mileage has been in the low 30's in mixed driving.

Fun, Practical, and Good Looks
By richee51 on 02/07/12 15:43 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Have driven for a week now, love it. Traded a Prius with great mileage, for something I can enjoy, with 6-speed manual, I can shift, sun roof is great, interior and exterior are just cool. Really like the car so far. Gas mileage seems decent so far, won't be on the Prius level, but willing to give up mileage for a bit of sportiness.

Uncomfortable seats, rattles and weird noises
By neems on 01/20/12 11:44 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I never thought I would be one of the "those' people that writes unhappy reviews but here I am. 1. The basic cloth seats look good, but they're hard as rock. I don't know if there was some switch-a-roo but my seat barely have any padding and I can feel the seat structure of the chair. 2. For a two week old car, it sure rattles a lot especially on the passenger side 3. There's an unusual humming noise coming from the middle of the car. It doesn't sound like idling or accelerating so I'm concerned.

Mazda3 skyactiv
By rxb3 on 01/17/12 17:03 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Traded my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT with 200k on it. Great car and it got me 30mpg! The only reason I got the Mazda3 sedan was for the 39mpg (manual trans). So far, with 3k miles, I have been avg 38.2. That's better than my last car but... Pros: when in the right gear, it has some get up and go (for a 4cycl) Bluetooth is great. Works very well with iphone, hands free calls that are voice controlled are great, and streaming music. Handles well, seems sporty Of course the MPG is the real sell. Cons: the seats are horrible! I commute 1hr20min each way every day. 78miles each way every day adds up. This is a huge deal for me. The savings in gas is great but the seats suck!

I got the skyactiv mazda3!
By caloyski on 01/06/12 14:11 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I love the new skyblue for skyactiv---a real standout from the silver, white & black cars you see on the road. I considered the new elantra, it was a sleek car and gets great mpg like the 3, but I was still biased towards the reliability of japanese cars. And the civic & corolla looked so plain---they were everywhere. I have read some user reviews here about the sound they hear from the engine is a problem. When not used to something, it doesn't neccessarily mean it's broken. It has a new engine, so don't exepct old school appeal. It may make more noise to warm it up than a standard gas engine, but after that it's great. I tried the new impreza w/ cvt, the sound was weird but not broken.

the wierd sound issue after 1700 miles on it
By jangk on 01/03/12 08:41 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

2 weeks ago, I directly emailed to Mazda company with the problem. Then, the issue was transferred to the representative of the dearlership in which I bought, so they was informed by me that issue, and they drove the car with me, but they just explained that " problem is because of new SkyActive transmission, so we cannot sovle the problem fundamentally because the wierd sound is part of manufacture." So with disappointment, I returned to my home.... ....I live Philadelphia suburban area, which means I live in a little bit cold area, but the wierd sound is not related to the cold weather.........

Doubting this vehicle
By mazda3owner1 on 01/02/12 17:23 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2012 Skyactiv engine, 4-door sedan a few weeks ago and I, hear weird engine noises. I would describe it as a whistling sound under the hood. I thought it was a serpentine belt issue, and took it back to the dealer. They told me I had to give the car 200-500 miles to break-in. I still heard the noise after 500 miles, so I took it back today. Now, they are saying the noise is coming from the electronic steering and is a normal sound. I don't believe this. I think it is a skyactiv issue and they really don't know how to fix this.

My first Mazda
By reillyj6 on 12/20/11 08:29 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 09/11 (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2012 Mazda iTouring a little over 2 months ago after selling my Acura tsx and I could not be happier. I am just about to his my 5,000 mile mark and so far it has been great!! I also am 6'3" and there is plenty of room for me in the drivers seat, but no one can sit behind me in the back. The car has plenty of "get-up-and-go" for getting on the highway. I have a family member who has a cx-9 that loves it and I test drove the three and I was set! One of my favorite cars I've had!! Also, the SkyActiv technology came out the week after i bought the car so I do not have it, but I average 35 mpg anyways.

Tirrirrrr sound from engine
By jangk on 12/19/11 07:07 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought 3 HB skyactiv 2.0 I touring a month ago. I drive city & hwy (60% & 40%), and get Average 36MPG, which is good. But, When I drive, I hear a very odd sound, that is heard like "Tirrrrr ttirrrirrrrrrr". It is not normal engine sound, it is extra abnormal sound. Especially in low speed, and at stop sign, that sound is very annoying. I told that problem to dearlership, but they couldn't find out the problem, and didn't fix it. I like eternal design and six speed auto transmission, but I don't want to recommend this vehicle to my friend.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Mazda Mazda3 in VA is:

$144 per month*