Used 2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Not as good as toyota
By alex_z

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Have 5000 miles on it. I like interior, Bluetooth, steering, seats. Now about bad things: suspension sucks. It's o.k. for commuting and that's it. Took it for a long trip once and hate it now. It drives o.k. on a smooth road but once you go on a crappy one, your butt will feel every bump. Another bad thing about this car- it's too low. I already hit the bottom a couple of times and now I'm very careful. Visibility is o.k. but not as good as Corolla. I took my wife's old corolla for a 2000 miles trip last week, and it's day and night in comparison of driving. Yes, Toyota sucks in interior and has only 4 speed auto, but much better in comfort. Take it on a crappy road before you buy it.

Interior, Bluetooth, seats.

Suspension

2000 mile review
By zoomzoom2012

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Looked at the following Hatchbacks.

All Subaru models
Nissan Rouge
GTI
Focus
Mazda 3

After looking at everything I was willing to buy,
I purchased a 2012 I-touring with Skyactiv Engine and Auto Trans.
This power plant it awesome.
It is the smoothest I have ever driven.
Power really comes on at 2800 to 3000 rpm giving me ability to choose gas mileage or Zoom zoom.
The interior is 'Spartan' but still an upgrade from my 2002 Wrangler.
I really like the BT hands free phone function.
According to the computer I am getting 32.1 MPG since buying the car, (50/50 hwy and city).
I checked at the pump and my numbers came back 31.8, that to me is pretty good.

Smooth engine and auto transmission, good power deliver for 155 horses. Other companies try to use dual clutch or cvt transmissions on their liitle cars. Here is eaches down fall. Dual Clutch - When I drove both the Focus and GTI I found the trans was great at getting you going but had a shudder in stop and go. Was a pain to parrellel park. The trans did not want to react the the shifting from D to R fast enough. I do still love the GTI but I was afraid of VW part pricing. CVT- The nissan and subaru use these things. They are junk, the NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness) was massive. Put the petal to the floor and it sounds like to engine is going to pop through the hood.

I would like to have the left arm rest a little higher and the center console arm jest a little longer. Would I buy this car again? Yes Is it better than a hybrid? Yes Is it better than the GTI ? No Do I think the cost the fix and maintain will be ok? OH YES. The price of car parts is also dependant on the number of units sold. Mazda sells a ton of Mazda 3s. It is their best seller. Go Drive one and you will understand why. Get the Skyactiv system. Mazda was ranked #2 most reliable for 2012 by Card and Driver (Subaru was #1). To get a this car at 21k than is Kia Sol ! pricing is awesome. I felt bad in this economy not buying USA, but America has to have products we want to buy

Great commuter car
By cardriver15

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After test driving the Civic, Focus and Elantra, I decided on the 3 because of that fun factor.
It doesn't necessarily feel like an economy car when driving.

I'm getting the advertised 32-33 combined mpg.
40+ highway mpg is feasible if you stay below 70mph.
I've found 37-38mpg is more realistic if you're like me and tend to drive faster than 70mph on the highway.

It's aged pretty good for an almost 3 year old design.
I think newer designs like the civic and Elantra already look aged compared to the 3.

SkyActiv is no gimic. Bluetooth connection with steering wheel controls. Sporty ride.

Interior does feel a bit cramped, even for not so tall folks like me. Road noise is excessive compared to others. Dash display creates glare in windshield at night. AC is weak, not cold enough.

My 4th Mazda wagon
By gregstl

Previously owned:
-02 Protege 5
-08 Speed3
-10 Speed3

Many things remain the same through the years. Sporty handling, quirky but some how attractive interior, road noise, fun-to-drive, best hatch for the money, etc.

What was new and enticing was the Skyactiv drivetrain and a Mazda3 getting over 30mpg.. let alone nearly 40mpg. Haven't quite gotten there yet on average, but it seems possible. If you keep the RPM around 1800-1900 which is close to 60mph.. you'll break 40mpg. After that it seems to dissipate pretty quickly. You'd be lucky getting over 30mpg at 70mph.

At the end of the day, you can pick one of these up for under $17K brand new at some dealers.
Best car made under $17K.

Price, mpg, bluetooth phone/audio, interior lighting, capacity for dog/sports gear, bikes, music equip., blue treatment around headlamps, leather wrapped wheel

Improved gearing to run at 2,000 RPM or less at 70mph, mirror turn signals, sunglass storage, additonal Skyactiv brand treatment within interior... (blue stitching, light up shifter knob) and keep the blue LED lighting kit

2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv
By dgraym3

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

great car! love the styling and interior, shifter and clutch are probably the best in its class of cars.
I'm easily getting 38-42mpg with mix of country back roads/highway.
Why by a boring Yotarolla when you can have something with more style and fun to drive.

Being really picky:
There is a small light rattle in the passenger front door area that I haven't hunt down yet.

Bluetooth on mid i-touring package, stick and clutch are super smooth on this car.

keep reducing the weight and adding more efficiencies to future "skyactiv" engine/tran.