Used 2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Computer MPG is off
By jackstraw22

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about 2 months and while I do enjoy driving it, I've noticed the computer's MPG is off. I've checked it several times by filling up my gas tank, resetting the trip meter and then resetting the computer's MPG. After running it for about 300 miles I filled the tank back up. I then divided the miles on the trip meter by the number of gallons I put in the car. My latest manual observation was 27.2 MPG while the computer's MPG was 29.8. So far my driving has been about 90/10 city/highway, so I'd expect the MPG to be low. But I would have expected the computer's MPG to be more accurate. It's been off on every test I've made.

great mileage, cramped and impractical cabin
By clee15

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I drove a Protege5 for 10 years and I loved that car. I fully expected to love my new 2012 Mazda 3 but have been disappointed--no love yet. Yes, it gets awesome gas mileage -- but it is not nearly as spirited or fun to drive as the Protege5. Hugs the road well, but quite sluggish acceleration. If you have the 6 spd manual, plan to do a LOT of shifting very quickly. Disappointing driving experience compared to Protege5. Interior cabin is cramped due to enormous dash and console, and ceiling in rear is much lower than Protege so if you have a dog in the back, it better be a short one.

Miles per gallon. Ability to display current mpg can make you a little obsessive but does aid in learning best shift points, etc. Ability to set cruise control, then bump it up or down without resetting cruise. Rear window washer. Pretty good speakers without upgrading sound system

-cup holders--have to reach slightly backwards and take my eyes off the road to use -cavernous, unlit glove compartment too deep to find anything-- it's crazy! No lock -cabin space is odd and poorly planned. Several narrow, deep holes in the dash but nothing to keep change organized, nowhere for glasses or pens. You can put water bottles in all the door pockets, but if you do, there is no room for anything else. -cheap floor mats held in place with little plastic nubs right under your feet -seats uncomfortable compared to protege--lumbar support is too high up seat. -rear seats do not fold flat so stuff slides to the rear -I'm small (5'2)and the cabin is very uncomfortable and tight

Gas Mileage and Power Delivery
By fitterpaul

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

One of the reasons I bought my 2012 Mazda3 hatchback with Skyactive was the expected gas mileage. I check it every fill-up and am only averaging about 28mpg with mixed interstate/city driving. I never encounter stop and go driving and the terrain is mostly flat. My best highway-only result was 35 mpg. With other cars I have owned I can usually get better mileage than the estimate. The other issue I have is power delivery. When excellerating from a slow speed or passing the car hesitates for a full second before shifting to a too-low gear. Thank goodness there is a manual shift mode that works well. Don't expect to get 39mpg or Zoom-Zoom with this car. It has neither.

Cargo area and exterior styling

The auto transmission needs help

Good car for the money
By alex_z

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The best interior in class. Smooth Transmission. Gives me 400 miles for tank in mix driving. The only complain is that suspension is a way too firm. It drives o.k. on the good road, but once you go to the bumpy one, you will feel every rough in your butt. Althogh it cut corners even without slowing down. I'm not sure if this car good for every day comfortable driving. I would suggest buy mazda 6 for this purpose or toyota is a better choice. Can not say anything about reliability (have only 3K miles). The only problem I had is rear defroster didn't work on the upper side, so went to the local dealer to replace it. Other than this it's a good car for the money with a lot of features.

Interior. Fuel economy. I don't understand why are family of 4 complains about this car. It's not design for a family. Buy a minivan or suv for this purpose.

Suspension is too firm. You don't want to drive it on a crappy road. The center handrest is too small (a couple of inches longer will make it better).

Watch out! Rolls backwards when in auto-drive on hills
By sfmaggie

2012 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

The automatic transmission doesn't behave like other automatics. I learned this at a stop sign on a steep hill. It was frightening to roll backwards uncontrollably. Took it to the dealer and mechanics said they hadn't heard of such a thing. They tested it on a steep ramp and confirmed what I said. They couldn't find any documentation on how to fix this, so they called their helpline and were told that's just what these automatic transmissions do. There's an item in the owner's manual they were pointed to that instructs drivers to slowly accelerate the gas while letting out the brake pedal. I had more control on hills with a standard stick shift.

I bought an automatic transmission assuming it would be safer on hills than my stick shift. Consumers should be told the car rolls backwards on hills before they buy so they can make an informed choice., Better yet, Mazda, please figure out a way to fix this for those of us who have already purchased these cars.