Used 2012 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Not as good as toyota
By alex_z

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Have 5000 miles on it. I like interior, Bluetooth, steering, seats. Now about bad things: suspension sucks. It's o.k. for commuting and that's it. Took it for a long trip once and hate it now. It drives o.k. on a smooth road but once you go on a crappy one, your butt will feel every bump. Another bad thing about this car- it's too low. I already hit the bottom a couple of times and now I'm very careful. Visibility is o.k. but not as good as Corolla. I took my wife's old corolla for a 2000 miles trip last week, and it's day and night in comparison of driving. Yes, Toyota sucks in interior and has only 4 speed auto, but much better in comfort. Take it on a crappy road before you buy it.

Interior, Bluetooth, seats.

Suspension

2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv
By dgraym3

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

great car! love the styling and interior, shifter and clutch are probably the best in its class of cars.
I'm easily getting 38-42mpg with mix of country back roads/highway.
Why by a boring Yotarolla when you can have something with more style and fun to drive.

Being really picky:
There is a small light rattle in the passenger front door area that I haven't hunt down yet.

Bluetooth on mid i-touring package, stick and clutch are super smooth on this car.

keep reducing the weight and adding more efficiencies to future "skyactiv" engine/tran.

Computer MPG is off
By jackstraw22

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about 2 months and while I do enjoy driving it, I've noticed the computer's MPG is off.
I've checked it several times by filling up my gas tank, resetting the trip meter and then resetting the computer's MPG.
After running it for about 300 miles I filled the tank back up.
I then divided the miles on the trip meter by the number of gallons I put in the car.
My latest manual observation was 27.2 MPG while the computer's MPG was 29.8.
So far my driving has been about 90/10 city/highway, so I'd expect the MPG to be low.
But I would have expected the computer's MPG to be more accurate.
It's been off on every test I've made.

Good car for the money
By alex_z

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The best interior in class. Smooth Transmission. Gives me 400 miles for tank in mix driving. The only complain is that suspension is a way too firm. It drives o.k. on the good road, but once you go to
the bumpy one, you will feel every rough in your butt. Althogh it cut corners even without slowing down.
I'm not sure if this car good for every day comfortable driving. I would suggest buy mazda 6 for this purpose or toyota is a better choice. Can not say anything about reliability (have only 3K miles). The only problem I had is rear defroster didn't work on the upper side, so went to the local dealer to replace it. Other than this it's a good car for the money with a lot of features.

Interior. Fuel economy. I don't understand why are family of 4 complains about this car. It's not design for a family. Buy a minivan or suv for this purpose.

Suspension is too firm. You don't want to drive it on a crappy road. The center handrest is too small (a couple of inches longer will make it better).

Watch out! Rolls backwards when in auto-drive on hills
By sfmaggie

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

The automatic transmission doesn't behave like other automatics. I learned this at a stop sign on a steep hill. It was frightening to roll backwards uncontrollably. Took it to the dealer and mechanics said they hadn't heard of such a thing. They tested it on a steep ramp and confirmed what I said. They couldn't find any documentation on how to fix this, so they called their helpline and were told that's just what these automatic transmissions do. There's an item in the owner's manual they were pointed to that instructs drivers to slowly accelerate the gas while letting out the brake pedal. I had more control on hills with a standard stick shift.

I bought an automatic transmission assuming it would be safer on hills than my stick shift. Consumers should be told the car rolls backwards on hills before they buy so they can make an informed choice., Better yet, Mazda, please figure out a way to fix this for those of us who have already purchased these cars.