Used 2012 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Good car for the money
By alex_z

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The best interior in class. Smooth Transmission. Gives me 400 miles for tank in mix driving. The only complain is that suspension is a way too firm. It drives o.k. on the good road, but once you go to the bumpy one, you will feel every rough in your butt. Althogh it cut corners even without slowing down. I'm not sure if this car good for every day comfortable driving. I would suggest buy mazda 6 for this purpose or toyota is a better choice. Can not say anything about reliability (have only 3K miles). The only problem I had is rear defroster didn't work on the upper side, so went to the local dealer to replace it. Other than this it's a good car for the money with a lot of features.

Interior. Fuel economy. I don't understand why are family of 4 complains about this car. It's not design for a family. Buy a minivan or suv for this purpose.

Suspension is too firm. You don't want to drive it on a crappy road. The center handrest is too small (a couple of inches longer will make it better).

Watch out! Rolls backwards when in auto-drive on hills
By sfmaggie

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

The automatic transmission doesn't behave like other automatics. I learned this at a stop sign on a steep hill. It was frightening to roll backwards uncontrollably. Took it to the dealer and mechanics said they hadn't heard of such a thing. They tested it on a steep ramp and confirmed what I said. They couldn't find any documentation on how to fix this, so they called their helpline and were told that's just what these automatic transmissions do. There's an item in the owner's manual they were pointed to that instructs drivers to slowly accelerate the gas while letting out the brake pedal. I had more control on hills with a standard stick shift.

I bought an automatic transmission assuming it would be safer on hills than my stick shift. Consumers should be told the car rolls backwards on hills before they buy so they can make an informed choice., Better yet, Mazda, please figure out a way to fix this for those of us who have already purchased these cars.

Follow-up Review: 12K miles later UPDATE!
By surfnjm3

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

So i posted a review about 6 months ago when i had about 2K miles on my Mazda3 SkyActiv and wanted to follow-up for any who is still looking into the car. After 12K miles I must say the car has been extremely reliable which was one thing I was worried about at first. I have had 0 problems and only maintenance has been the usual oilchange/tirerotation at 5K & 10K miles. Internally the car has held up GREAT! (i use the car for plenty of projects around the house and have been hauling all types of items) car fits anything in it. As for the engine, it seems to actually be running better after breaking it in, I recently got approx. 33mpg average on 950 miles of driivng about 25% highwy 75% city,

(from above) The exterior has held up surprisingly well although I have pampered it, I detail the car inside and out weekly, but I live near the ocean and the paint/parts has held up great in sand & salt air. Although I love manual I had to sucker up and buy auto due to long commute to work and the tranny remains incredibly smooth, I rarely actually drive in Auto, I prefer the slap stick manual at almost all times (most responsive compared to Focus,Dart,Sentra,Altima), the car is a BLAST to drive, no other car will give the reliability, FUN, enjoyable, and (honestly,slightly exhilarating) drive as this one does for under 20K, this is a Phenom Package..QUALITY, TECH, RELIABLE, VALUE, all in 1

again, only improvement would be some ergo seats, but after having the car for over 6 months I have noticed this less and less. I drive over 2K miles a month on average and the seats do not even phase me anymore. I absolutely love this car and whether you are an Auto enthusiast-on-a-budget or just looking for a well-made daily driver that has everything you would want you really need to look no further. The competition literally does not even come close. Mazda has blown Ford,Honda,Nissan,GM, Hyundai,Kia out of the water on this one! END-NOTE: I did did one drive where i set my cruise to 70mph and drove 250miles straight and got 42.8 mpg! Best car for best price PERIOD.

2nd Mazda3 for me in 4 years
By gr8mazda3

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After doing a lot of research and comparing the Focus, Dart, Sonic, Cruze, Golf, etc., I just kept coming back to the Mazda3. I had to trade in my previous one, a 2008 GT loaded, due to the manual tranny. I loved that car, but back issues have gotten into my left leg now, and shifting became a safety issue. I passed on the GT model and got the SkyActiv I Touring sedan with 6A. After health issues forced me out of driving for pure fun, I used to hypermile with my 08 model. With K&N filter and using 100% gasoline, I could get 33-35 mpg consistently. It has taken some time for me to get used to that auto, but I got 37 mpg on 1st tank. So much easier on my back, leg, but still zooms.

Mileage is outstanding yet if I do need or want to take some back roads, this engine can still rev up nicely and the manual feature works as well as any I've tried on an automatic. Bluetooth works great, stock stereo is easy to operate & I've grown to like Sirius. Standard headlamps with fog lights really do a great job of lighting the way at night. I had the HID's in my 08 model and IMHO, the regular halogen lights w/fog lights do at least as good of a job. Not sure if new, steering HID's are better, but for me, it's unnecessary. Seats are very comfortable. Much better room inside versus older model. Trunk release on key fob needed, as I didn't have it on 08 GT. All around GR8 car.

Offer heated seats as stand alone option. The hard, dark plastic inside gets marked up way too easily. Like the cloth inserts and padded upper dash. For this car in this price range, covering that hard, black plastic with either the soft padding from the upper dash or the cloth inserts at the top of the door would really set it apart from the competition. Overall, though, I simply love the car w/straightforward controls. High Tech just for the sake of it is being implemented in most Ford's and many automakers are following suit. I'm glad Mazda keeps the focus on driving, plus I now have exceptional mileage along with the zoom factor. Any other complaints at $18K out the door - NO!

44.6 mpg!!!
By caloyski

2012 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

İ have the new skyactiv automatic with 6,000 miles now. Recently, wife moved to a new work and still in process of relocating---in short i travel 180 miles and 5hrs per day, 80/20 mixed highway/city driving at 60mph in highway. İ got 44.6 mpg! İ didn't rely on the trip computer, i did manual math to be sure. İ love this car, handles so well. A bit tight in space, but if you wanted space, go buy an suv and gas up always. Lol. İ drive a 1999 crv same route, i get 22mpg. Transmission changes are so smooth, wow.