Used 2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

So much fun to Drive
By niskoman

2012 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I love everything about this car.I have 26 k on it and runs like a champ!
2,5L engine makes such a difference !
Received so many compliments about my car.Most people loves Mazda's design.
Handling by far is the best feature in this car and it makes it so fun to drive.
The seats could be more comfy but it is a sports car!
Raced a guy with Golf GT Turbo and zoomed him out lol .
Interior is very appealing and cool.
Bose speakers absolutely ROCK !
The sunroof is cool for the summer.
To save gas strongly recommend to use cruise control and drive around 60mhph.
I'm a huge fan of MAZDA and would recommend this car to everybody.

Great Value
By dakotabmr

2012 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this used 2012 Mazda 3 isport , Automatic 4dr, 2.0 28K miles for my daughter her senior yr in high school to last through college. We compared the used Corolla, Sentra, Elantra, Civic for a max price of $12000 and found the Mazda3 the best value. It has a "Good" rating from the IIHS-which is the highest, 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS, stability control, multiple airbags. Good reliability,
Great handling, comfortable, easy to use controls and layout. 60/40 split folding rear seat.
We get 35mpg/highway, 14.5 gallon fuel tank makes for 450 miles on a tank!.
I do most of the regular service, so the oil, air filter, cabin filter, wipers were fairly easy to change out.

Dash layout, driver seat position and visibility, great handling......some may say stiff ride, but that translates into improved control of the car. Overall a great small car for our needs!

Some material is a bit cheap as the passenger side under the dash molding is only in place by two small clips and a one post from the firewall...very flimsy. Small back seat, but that was known. The cabin air filter should be in an easier access point.

Fun on Four Wheels and a Budget
By cleverjason

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After driving the car a while, it's easy to forget how peppy this little compact really is. So, to remind myself, I let my friends take it out for a spin every now and then, and when they push the pedal down and let off the clutch, and when you watch the inevitable Zoom Zoom smile spread across their faces, you remember why you bought it.

Make no mistake: The 3 is no sports car, and calling it sporty for its class is like calling a Mr. Coffee pot "gourmet." But the Mazda 3 feels like a sportier car than it is, and that's why most people love driving it. If you can get your hands on a SkyActiv with a manual like I did, you'll realize those modest 155 ponies pull more than their weight.

Did I mention the SkyActiv-G engine? It's an impressive piece of machinery, delivering good horsepower (for a compact) while getting impressive real-world gas mileage. I drive conservatively in mostly city settings, and I average about 34 mpg. On long highway trips, it's not that hard to beat the EPA-estimated 40, either. I also like the Dune interior and the fold-down seats, which offer considerable cargo space, as does the spare wheel cavity under the trunk (seriously, check that out. It's easy to fit fix a flat, a window scraper and jumper cables in there with the donut).

A little more passenger space in the backseat would be a huge plus. As a 6-foot fella, I pity the fool who has to ride directly behind me. And although I like the interior, it is terribly outdated and half the controls on the CD player are useless (but then, so is the CD player thanks to the bluetooth and aux input). If you're looking for a car you'll love driving that can largely ignore gas stations, and if you don't need a cream-of-the-crop interior, the Mazda is by far the best choice in the class.

I love it
By kylejj

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I traded in my Honda Civic for this car and I am now a Mazda guy after loving my Honda. I test drove and researched many of makes and models, but ended up finding Mazda was just a better car and then the price made it even better. The car is a blast to drive and I do drive very hard, but still return an average of 34mpg for 50/50 city/hwy driving. The car handles great, but does have a tight suspension where I feel all the bumps, but that is because the roads in Indiana are awful. The controls are great and easy to use. (no navigation). There is plenty of room for 4 adults and our luggage. I love the versatility of the Hatchback.

The sporty drive and feel. The versatility of the hatchback. The controls are easy to read and find. A manual transmission (hard to find now days). Lots of cup holders and storage.

More options with the manual transmission! The info screen needs to give more info, for example when the radio is on, display the artist and song title. A light in the trunk/hatch area that turns on when the lift gate is opened.

I pretty much hate this car...
By watyf

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I had to drive my '98 Civic today because the wife needed the Mazda, and I was literally relieved to not be driving this car.

Mainly because it's incredibly uncomfortable. The seats are rock-hard, the whole cabin is cramped, there is NO rear legroom if the front passengers are normal-sized, the steering wheel never stays straight (apparently "sporty handling" means "have to make constant adjustments to the steering wheel even when driving straight"), the headrests are awkward and stiff, and you feel EVERY bump in the road.

The little things about this car, like cupholders that a cup gets lost in and a trunk that DOESN'T pop open (unlike every other car I've ever owned), just add to it.

I will say that it gets decent mileage (fairly close to the EPA combined rating of 33) and it isn't bad compared to other cars in this class when it comes to acceleration. It didn't exceed my expectations, but I can't knock it in those areas area. It definitely does have "sporty" handling, but unless you plan to spend all of your time maneuvering around orange cones in a parking lot, it won't compensate for the issues you'll face in all of your non-sporty driving. Basically, if you're thin and short and never plan on having any rear seat passengers, and don't mind an uncomfortable ride in exchange for decent pep and gas mileage, then this is your car.

Everything else. Yes, I realize I should have noticed these things before purchasing, but apparently two test-drives weren't enough to recognize just how much of an issue the (lack of) ride comfort and (lack of) space were going to be.