2012 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
LOVE this car!!
By kachok on 10/13/12 21:55 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I got my Mazda 3 hatchback a few days ago and I absolutely love it! Crazy good mpg in town and on the highway (52.9mpg@55mph and 44.0mpg @70mph) all the power I ever wanted, fantastic handling and plenty of room for me and all my gear. I work at another brand dealership, and am willing to deal with the ridicule of my boss and co-workers to drive my 3, it is the perfect car for me. I drive all kinds of cars every day, and the Jetta/Civic/Corolla/Elantra just don't stack up. Only the Focus SE and Dart Ralley compare, the Dart is not offered in a hatch and I have had bad luck with Fords so it was an easy choice for me.

Follow-up Review: 12K miles later UPDATE!
By surfnjm3 on 09/24/12 13:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

So i posted a review about 6 months ago when i had about 2K miles on my Mazda3 SkyActiv and wanted to follow-up for any who is still looking into the car. After 12K miles I must say the car has been extremely reliable which was one thing I was worried about at first. I have had 0 problems and only maintenance has been the usual oilchange/tirerotation at 5K & 10K miles. Internally the car has held up GREAT! (i use the car for plenty of projects around the house and have been hauling all types of items) car fits anything in it. As for the engine, it seems to actually be running better after breaking it in, I recently got approx. 33mpg average on 950 miles of driivng about 25% highwy 75% city,

2nd Mazda3 for me in 4 years
By gr8mazda3 on 09/22/12 12:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After doing a lot of research and comparing the Focus, Dart, Sonic, Cruze, Golf, etc., I just kept coming back to the Mazda3. I had to trade in my previous one, a 2008 GT loaded, due to the manual tranny. I loved that car, but back issues have gotten into my left leg now, and shifting became a safety issue. I passed on the GT model and got the SkyActiv I Touring sedan with 6A. After health issues forced me out of driving for pure fun, I used to hypermile with my 08 model. With K&N filter and using 100% gasoline, I could get 33-35 mpg consistently. It has taken some time for me to get used to that auto, but I got 37 mpg on 1st tank. So much easier on my back, leg, but still zooms.

44.6 mpg!!!
By caloyski on 09/18/12 11:01 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

İ have the new skyactiv automatic with 6,000 miles now. Recently, wife moved to a new work and still in process of relocating---in short i travel 180 miles and 5hrs per day, 80/20 mixed highway/city driving at 60mph in highway. İ got 44.6 mpg! İ didn't rely on the trip computer, i did manual math to be sure. İ love this car, handles so well. A bit tight in space, but if you wanted space, go buy an suv and gas up always. Lol. İ drive a 1999 crv same route, i get 22mpg. Transmission changes are so smooth, wow.

Great all around car
By filthburger on 08/30/12 15:00 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I drove an 02 Civic Si for 9 years and loved it. Traded it in on a CX-7, but the CX-7 did not quite get me what I wanted. I traded it in on the newer Mazda 3 Wagon with the I Grand Touring package. I love it. My gas has been 38mpg while commuting, mostly freeway at 65-70mph and has been 36mpg on a long trip doing 80+ most of the way. I'm 6'3" 220lbs and am fairly comfortable in it. could have more head room, but it's not bad at all. I would not want to put 4 adults my size in it, but can fit the little woman and a 9 and 11 year old in the back. I think the nav is a little useless due to the fact that phones have a better one these days. peppy engine, decent storage.

Terrible Choice
By lsmetan on 08/28/12 12:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We researched several cars for their gas mileage ability. We chose the Mazda3 Skyactive and within days of driving it off the lot and only realizing an average of 31mpg we were so disappointed. The extremely small trunk and back seat space only added to our disappointment. This car looks appealing, but is not in anyway functional. We are a family of four with two small children we previously drove a jetta and we along with baby gear fit in the jetta, not even close in the Mazda. Also our gas mileage was better in the jetta. After three weeks we pleaded with the dealership who allowed us a straight trade with a new 2012 VW Passat. We all fit & are happily getting 39mpg+ & its not a tdi

Fun Drive
By hmm3 on 08/28/12 09:31 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have driven the car for about 600 miles. It is fun to drive, steering is precise and gives a great feel for the road. Acceleration is plenty good for an engine this size. I have bee n getting 38-40 miles per gallon driven 2/3 highway 1/3 city. The ride is firm, much more than a Corolla or a Accord. I think it is great for the driver, not so great for every body else. Seats are comfortable with good lumbar support. The blind spot warning system and the adaptative lights are great and function flawlessly. The Bose stereo is very good but not outstanding. Trunk space is limited but OK for a commuter car.

Smooth engine and transmission
By durval20120m3 on 08/24/12 08:00 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

In shopping for a new car, I evaluated the following Mazda 3 i Touring Chevy Cruse LT Hyundai Elantra GLS Honda Civic EX Ford Focus SE Kia Forte EX I chose the Mazda 3. Pros for the Mazda 3 Fun to drive. Smooth engine and transmission. Nice interior. 5K miles later, I am averaging 37 MPG in mixed driving. Cons for the Mazda 3 More rattles than I am used to in a new car. Not as stable on highway on-ramps as I am used to. This is probably due to the tire choice, they are high pressure and don't seem to offer the best grip. Of course this is probably part of the reason I am getting 37 MPG. The Cruze and the Elantra were also pretty good, but the engine in the Mazda won me over.

Good economy, stiff ride, limited space
By foggnm on 08/19/12 16:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've averaged 29.5 in mix of city/hwy driving. The car will get 39 mpg on the highway (when my canoe is not on top). The ride of this car is very stiff off the lot. It was almost jarring, but I think the suspension has loosened a bit or I've gotten used to it. But this is typical of a small/compact car. The car handles superbly. The automatic transmission is so smooth and quiet. Highway performance is adequate, no problems passing or going up hills Cabin noise is minimal for a small vehicle. Cargo capacity is lacking compared to a small SUV or even a mid-size car. Technology/climate controls are simple and easy to use. Questionable value compared to Civic, Corolla, Kia.

The Perfect Utility Commuter Car
By tr_pe on 08/07/12 08:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Having a 70 mile (round trip) commute to drive every day will make you think long and hard about what you want in a car. I waited about 4 months to write this review so I would have a large sample size to go on. About 80-85% of my driving are freeway miles, in San Francisco Bay Area traffic. Having now put about 9,000 miles on the car, I can tell you unequivocally that I made the right choice in a new vehicle. I am AVERAGING 39 mpg. I could probably get better than 40 if I slowed down a little. I've had the mileage get as high as 44.5 mpg over a 35 mile stretch with the cruise control locked in at 65 mph. YSeats are comfy for extended drives. Manual tranny and clutch are very precise.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Mazda Mazda3 in VA is:

$144 per month*