Used 2012 Mazda Mazda3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda Mazda3

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

I love it
By kylejj

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I traded in my Honda Civic for this car and I am now a Mazda guy after loving my Honda. I test drove and researched many of makes and models, but ended up finding Mazda was just a better car and then the price made it even better. The car is a blast to drive and I do drive very hard, but still return an average of 34mpg for 50/50 city/hwy driving. The car handles great, but does have a tight suspension where I feel all the bumps, but that is because the roads in Indiana are awful. The controls are great and easy to use. (no navigation). There is plenty of room for 4 adults and our luggage. I love the versatility of the Hatchback.

Favorite Features

The sporty drive and feel. The versatility of the hatchback. The controls are easy to read and find. A manual transmission (hard to find now days). Lots of cup holders and storage.

Suggested Improvements

More options with the manual transmission! The info screen needs to give more info, for example when the radio is on, display the artist and song title. A light in the trunk/hatch area that turns on when the lift gate is opened.

I pretty much hate this car...
By watyf

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I had to drive my '98 Civic today because the wife needed the Mazda, and I was literally relieved to not be driving this car. Mainly because it's incredibly uncomfortable. The seats are rock-hard, the whole cabin is cramped, there is NO rear legroom if the front passengers are normal-sized, the steering wheel never stays straight (apparently "sporty handling" means "have to make constant adjustments to the steering wheel even when driving straight"), the headrests are awkward and stiff, and you feel EVERY bump in the road. The little things about this car, like cupholders that a cup gets lost in and a trunk that DOESN'T pop open (unlike every other car I've ever owned), just add to it.

Favorite Features

I will say that it gets decent mileage (fairly close to the EPA combined rating of 33) and it isn't bad compared to other cars in this class when it comes to acceleration. It didn't exceed my expectations, but I can't knock it in those areas area. It definitely does have "sporty" handling, but unless you plan to spend all of your time maneuvering around orange cones in a parking lot, it won't compensate for the issues you'll face in all of your non-sporty driving. Basically, if you're thin and short and never plan on having any rear seat passengers, and don't mind an uncomfortable ride in exchange for decent pep and gas mileage, then this is your car.

Suggested Improvements

Everything else. Yes, I realize I should have noticed these things before purchasing, but apparently two test-drives weren't enough to recognize just how much of an issue the (lack of) ride comfort and (lack of) space were going to be.

Really nice car and great fuel economy
By moog555

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have been driving this car for a month now. The fuel economy in this thing is really incredible. I've had five Honda civics in the pass... but this little Mazda beats them all !!!. Also handles the road really nice.. This Sky-activ engine is super smooth and refined... The value in this car is hands down unbeatable.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, road manners, fit and finish

Suggested Improvements

rear leg room is tight...

If you have a highway commute...
By mattman44

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

...set cruise @ 65 through one full tank. Since then my last 5 full tanks have gone from steady 37-38 to over 40mpg, peaking at 42.5 (doing math). It can be done you just have to be smart. Cruise helps more than I thought. Lifetime computer average @ 38.3 after 13k so far. Traded Rio after Kia lied about mpg. 3 is bigger, more fun to drive and much more efficient. A few more standard features would help but my smartphone covers most I would want. Easiest self oil change car I've owned. Next gen looks better but probably more $. Seats more for sport than comfort. Feels solid/reliable. Ride slightly harsh, but drove NJ-FL without chronic injury. Space is useable, lower cargo floor would help.

Favorite Features

Unlike others Skyactiv Tech is not hype. 475-525 mile tank range. Check out Fuelly. It's not just me. Love the hatch option. Save the manuals! You can customize the turn signal clicker volume...brilliant. Rear headrests don't have to be removed to fold the seats flat.

Suggested Improvements

-Extra long sun visors to, ya know, cover more than 20 percent of the side window. -Softer suspension option. -More detailed trip computer. -Less stiff seating. -Power window switches seem too far forward.

Best little car I ever owned
By abqrich

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I love the way this car handles. Great engine coupled with great transmission. I have owned more expensive cars, but I have never enjoyed a car as much as this one

Favorite Features

Again, engine and transmission. It has all the power I need. On my last road trip I got 41mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Stiff ride on bumpy roads. Uncomfortable seats. Way too much noise at highway speeds. Hopefully, new tires will alleviate this.