2012 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Not as good as toyota
By alex_z on 12/28/12 20:57 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Have 5000 miles on it. I like interior, Bluetooth, steering, seats. Now about bad things: suspension sucks. It's o.k. for commuting and that's it. Took it for a long trip once and hate it now. It drives o.k. on a smooth road but once you go on a crappy one, your butt will feel every bump. Another bad thing about this car- it's too low. I already hit the bottom a couple of times and now I'm very careful. Visibility is o.k. but not as good as Corolla. I took my wife's old corolla for a 2000 miles trip last week, and it's day and night in comparison of driving. Yes, Toyota sucks in interior and has only 4 speed auto, but much better in comfort. Take it on a crappy road before you buy it.

2000 mile review
By zoomzoom2012 on 12/24/12 06:20 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Looked at the following Hatchbacks. All Subaru models Nissan Rouge GTI Focus Mazda 3 After looking at everything I was willing to buy, I purchased a 2012 I-touring with Skyactiv Engine and Auto Trans. This power plant it awesome. It is the smoothest I have ever driven. Power really comes on at 2800 to 3000 rpm giving me ability to choose gas mileage or Zoom zoom. The interior is 'Spartan' but still an upgrade from my 2002 Wrangler. I really like the BT hands free phone function. According to the computer I am getting 32.1 MPG since buying the car, (50/50 hwy and city). I checked at the pump and my numbers came back 31.8, that to me is pretty good.

Great commuter car
By cardriver15 on 12/09/12 15:34 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After test driving the Civic, Focus and Elantra, I decided on the 3 because of that fun factor. It doesn't necessarily feel like an economy car when driving. I'm getting the advertised 32-33 combined mpg. 40+ highway mpg is feasible if you stay below 70mph. I've found 37-38mpg is more realistic if you're like me and tend to drive faster than 70mph on the highway. It's aged pretty good for an almost 3 year old design. I think newer designs like the civic and Elantra already look aged compared to the 3.

My 4th Mazda wagon
By gregstl on 11/25/12 14:39 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Previously owned: -02 Protege 5 -08 Speed3 -10 Speed3 Many things remain the same through the years. Sporty handling, quirky but some how attractive interior, road noise, fun-to-drive, best hatch for the money, etc. What was new and enticing was the Skyactiv drivetrain and a Mazda3 getting over 30mpg.. let alone nearly 40mpg. Haven't quite gotten there yet on average, but it seems possible. If you keep the RPM around 1800-1900 which is close to 60mph.. you'll break 40mpg. After that it seems to dissipate pretty quickly. You'd be lucky getting over 30mpg at 70mph. At the end of the day, you can pick one of these up for under $17K brand new at some dealers. Best car made under $17K.

2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv
By dgraym3 on 11/15/12 11:53 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

great car! love the styling and interior, shifter and clutch are probably the best in its class of cars. I'm easily getting 38-42mpg with mix of country back roads/highway. Why by a boring Yotarolla when you can have something with more style and fun to drive. Being really picky: There is a small light rattle in the passenger front door area that I haven't hunt down yet.

Computer MPG is off
By jackstraw22 on 11/03/12 17:15 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about 2 months and while I do enjoy driving it, I've noticed the computer's MPG is off. I've checked it several times by filling up my gas tank, resetting the trip meter and then resetting the computer's MPG. After running it for about 300 miles I filled the tank back up. I then divided the miles on the trip meter by the number of gallons I put in the car. My latest manual observation was 27.2 MPG while the computer's MPG was 29.8. So far my driving has been about 90/10 city/highway, so I'd expect the MPG to be low. But I would have expected the computer's MPG to be more accurate. It's been off on every test I've made.

great mileage, cramped and impractical cabin
By clee15 on 10/29/12 12:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I drove a Protege5 for 10 years and I loved that car. I fully expected to love my new 2012 Mazda 3 but have been disappointed--no love yet. Yes, it gets awesome gas mileage -- but it is not nearly as spirited or fun to drive as the Protege5. Hugs the road well, but quite sluggish acceleration. If you have the 6 spd manual, plan to do a LOT of shifting very quickly. Disappointing driving experience compared to Protege5. Interior cabin is cramped due to enormous dash and console, and ceiling in rear is much lower than Protege so if you have a dog in the back, it better be a short one.

Gas Mileage and Power Delivery
By fitterpaul on 10/27/12 17:41 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

One of the reasons I bought my 2012 Mazda3 hatchback with Skyactive was the expected gas mileage. I check it every fill-up and am only averaging about 28mpg with mixed interstate/city driving. I never encounter stop and go driving and the terrain is mostly flat. My best highway-only result was 35 mpg. With other cars I have owned I can usually get better mileage than the estimate. The other issue I have is power delivery. When excellerating from a slow speed or passing the car hesitates for a full second before shifting to a too-low gear. Thank goodness there is a manual shift mode that works well. Don't expect to get 39mpg or Zoom-Zoom with this car. It has neither.

Good car for the money
By alex_z on 10/26/12 13:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The best interior in class. Smooth Transmission. Gives me 400 miles for tank in mix driving. The only complain is that suspension is a way too firm. It drives o.k. on the good road, but once you go to the bumpy one, you will feel every rough in your butt. Althogh it cut corners even without slowing down. I'm not sure if this car good for every day comfortable driving. I would suggest buy mazda 6 for this purpose or toyota is a better choice. Can not say anything about reliability (have only 3K miles). The only problem I had is rear defroster didn't work on the upper side, so went to the local dealer to replace it. Other than this it's a good car for the money with a lot of features.

Watch out! Rolls backwards when in auto-drive on hills
By sfmaggie on 10/25/12 16:23 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

The automatic transmission doesn't behave like other automatics. I learned this at a stop sign on a steep hill. It was frightening to roll backwards uncontrollably. Took it to the dealer and mechanics said they hadn't heard of such a thing. They tested it on a steep ramp and confirmed what I said. They couldn't find any documentation on how to fix this, so they called their helpline and were told that's just what these automatic transmissions do. There's an item in the owner's manual they were pointed to that instructs drivers to slowly accelerate the gas while letting out the brake pedal. I had more control on hills with a standard stick shift.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Mazda Mazda3 in VA is:

$142 per month*