Used 2012 Mazda Mazda3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda Mazda3

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

18 Months of Driving
By bronxy192

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car for 18 months now with over 8,000 miles. It's a skyactiv 6 speed manual. The only complaints I have thus far is the acceleration and the middle console. I find myself needing to downshift to pick up any speed. It's a bit sluggish, but once at cruising speed on the highway, the 3 drives great. The suspension is good. I have hit several pot small holes after a wild winter here in New Jersey, and the 3 has handled them with no problems. The middle console is little to be desired. I wish the arm rest would slide out to accommodate my arm, but it's very short and placed in an odd position. It has storage and I find I need to shift and turn my body around to open it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, exterior appearance. Stock radio sounds good, CDs sound better when played. The room - I'm 6 feet tall and 260 pounds. I fit comfortably in he drivers seat.

Suggested Improvements

Sluggish acceleration, arm rest needs to be longer.

Tirrirrrr sound from engine
By jangk

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought 3 HB skyactiv 2.0 I touring a month ago. I drive city & hwy (60% & 40%), and get Average 36MPG, which is good. But, When I drive, I hear a very odd sound, that is heard like "Tirrrrr ttirrrirrrrrrr". It is not normal engine sound, it is extra abnormal sound. Especially in low speed, and at stop sign, that sound is very annoying. I told that problem to dearlership, but they couldn't find out the problem, and didn't fix it. I like eternal design and six speed auto transmission, but I don't want to recommend this vehicle to my friend.

Favorite Features

feul economy, external design, dashboard, automatic transmission.

Suggested Improvements

please make engine perfect, in other words, remove annoying engine sound.

great mileage, cramped and impractical cabin
By clee15

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I drove a Protege5 for 10 years and I loved that car. I fully expected to love my new 2012 Mazda 3 but have been disappointed--no love yet. Yes, it gets awesome gas mileage -- but it is not nearly as spirited or fun to drive as the Protege5. Hugs the road well, but quite sluggish acceleration. If you have the 6 spd manual, plan to do a LOT of shifting very quickly. Disappointing driving experience compared to Protege5. Interior cabin is cramped due to enormous dash and console, and ceiling in rear is much lower than Protege so if you have a dog in the back, it better be a short one.

Favorite Features

Miles per gallon. Ability to display current mpg can make you a little obsessive but does aid in learning best shift points, etc. Ability to set cruise control, then bump it up or down without resetting cruise. Rear window washer. Pretty good speakers without upgrading sound system

Suggested Improvements

-cup holders--have to reach slightly backwards and take my eyes off the road to use -cavernous, unlit glove compartment too deep to find anything-- it's crazy! No lock -cabin space is odd and poorly planned. Several narrow, deep holes in the dash but nothing to keep change organized, nowhere for glasses or pens. You can put water bottles in all the door pockets, but if you do, there is no room for anything else. -cheap floor mats held in place with little plastic nubs right under your feet -seats uncomfortable compared to protege--lumbar support is too high up seat. -rear seats do not fold flat so stuff slides to the rear -I'm small (5'2)and the cabin is very uncomfortable and tight

Uncomfortable seats, rattles and weird noises
By neems

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I never thought I would be one of the "those' people that writes unhappy reviews but here I am. 1. The basic cloth seats look good, but they're hard as rock. I don't know if there was some switch-a-roo but my seat barely have any padding and I can feel the seat structure of the chair. 2. For a two week old car, it sure rattles a lot especially on the passenger side 3. There's an unusual humming noise coming from the middle of the car. It doesn't sound like idling or accelerating so I'm concerned.

Suggested Improvements

More padding in the cloth seats!!

I wish I could say I love the car but...
By jl2157

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I wanted more than ANYTHING for this car to be the last one I purchased for a while. Fuel economy was great (Avg. 30 MPG City) and it's so much fun to drive. Sadly, at around 11K Mi. one of the transmission valves blew. Mazda replaced all the trans. valves without issue. Fuel efficiency dropped to 28 MPG. Then at 19,500 Mi. the transmission gave out entirely. Mazda Roadside was quick to response and the dealer has been excellent. Still, I've only had the car 2 yrs. and the entire transmission is now being replaced!? This was a $24K car. To say I'm very disappointed is an under statement. Sadly, I'm now considering trading this in on a more reliable brand once repairs are done.