2012 Mazda Mazda3 i SV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

2012 Mazda3 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Sort Reviews by

Really nice car and great fuel economy
By moog555

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have been driving this car for a month now. The fuel economy in this thing is really incredible. I've had five Honda civics in the pass... but this little Mazda beats them all !!!. Also handles the road really nice.. This Sky-activ engine is super smooth and refined... The value in this car is hands down unbeatable.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, road manners, fit and finish

Suggested Improvements

rear leg room is tight...

If you have a highway commute...
By mattman44

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

...set cruise @ 65 through one full tank. Since then my last 5 full tanks have gone from steady 37-38 to over 40mpg, peaking at 42.5 (doing math). It can be done you just have to be smart. Cruise helps more than I thought. Lifetime computer average @ 38.3 after 13k so far. Traded Rio after Kia lied about mpg. 3 is bigger, more fun to drive and much more efficient. A few more standard features would help but my smartphone covers most I would want. Easiest self oil change car I've owned. Next gen looks better but probably more $. Seats more for sport than comfort. Feels solid/reliable. Ride slightly harsh, but drove NJ-FL without chronic injury. Space is useable, lower cargo floor would help.

Favorite Features

Unlike others Skyactiv Tech is not hype. 475-525 mile tank range. Check out Fuelly. It's not just me. Love the hatch option. Save the manuals! You can customize the turn signal clicker volume...brilliant. Rear headrests don't have to be removed to fold the seats flat.

Suggested Improvements

-Extra long sun visors to, ya know, cover more than 20 percent of the side window. -Softer suspension option. -More detailed trip computer. -Less stiff seating. -Power window switches seem too far forward.

Best little car I ever owned
By abqrich

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I love the way this car handles. Great engine coupled with great transmission. I have owned more expensive cars, but I have never enjoyed a car as much as this one

Favorite Features

Again, engine and transmission. It has all the power I need. On my last road trip I got 41mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Stiff ride on bumpy roads. Uncomfortable seats. Way too much noise at highway speeds. Hopefully, new tires will alleviate this.

New 2012 Mazda 3
By disasterdawg

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Bought with 3 miles on it. Has been great car. Well designed interior and great styling. Performace and economy are outstanding. Mazda is an under rated company. The value of the this car is amazing compared to other imports. Fit and finish are top notch. Recently the car was struck broadside by and Escalade and walked away scratch free. Airbags did the job. The car almost totaled but did not. A really safe and strong car. I highly recommend Mazda, the entire brand.

Favorite Features

Autostick shift is fun to play with and really lets you push the 2.0 a lot farther than the computer is set for. However, the gas goes with the performance. Still fun on back roads.

Suggested Improvements

The only downside is the noise. It could use a lot more sound deadening material to help in the cabin. At highway speed is bit louder than I had expected with the solid fit and finish of the car.

25,000 MILE UPDATE
By hoveringfalcon

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my 3 for just over a year, and have put 25,000 miles on it. I still think it's a fantastic car. It's not perfect, and I will soon explain why, but it provides a superb combination of sportiness and fuel efficiency that is unmatched in its class. If you love driving but need something that sips gas, look no further. However if you prioritize comfort and luxury options above all else, you might want to cross shop before you buy.

Favorite Features

Its handling is best in class without a doubt. The chassis is composed around corners no matter how fast you're going, and the steering is effortless. Spend some with the car and you should notice just how good the automatic transmission is. It loves to downshift and is extremely responsive overall. Fuel efficiency is exemplary. I average about 36 in the spring/fall, 31-33 in the summer depending on AC usage, and 29-30 in the winter with lots of snow and warming the car up in the mornings. 40+ mpg is very possible on the highway. Also commendable is the stability control system. It's amazing in the snow and can be turned off for spirited driving.

Suggested Improvements

The driver seat just isn't comfortable for me. The bulbous center stack and thick underside of the steering wheel work in tandem to annoy me. My right leg has no space unless I slide the seat back, and then I'm too far from the steering wheel. Of course you can telescope the wheel, but it takes a lot of playing with to get it to the perfect position and it's a huge hassle in my opinion. The AC doesn't cut it in the summer. It gets the job done, but never blows truly cold air. Also the stock tires suck. They're OK when dry, but slide too much in the rain. Replace them for a world of difference in terms of performance.

So far so good
By jhunterk

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Have had the car for 10 months, 6k miles, 0 problem so far. IMHO, it is the best compromise among gas mileage, cosmetics, reliability, and a sporty ride. On highway, the 40mpg is spot on. The hatchback is super useful, once I was able to put FIVE dinning chairs in it. Very good lumbar support too. Con: The ride could be bumpy on crapy road because of its sporty suspension. Not as quiet as toyota, could use better noise isolation

Favorite Features

Handling Bluetooth Hatchback

Suggested Improvements

best noise isolation better interior (similar to what CX-5 has would be great)

UNCOMFORTABLE
By donchevy97

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

takes corners and speed bumps terribly. rides extremely stiff

Best car for the price
By montanac

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I see a lot of picky reviews. I wanted a car as cheap as I could get it. I was unwilling to sacrifice gas mileage, cosmetics, reliability, and a sporty ride. That's hard to find in these price ranges. This car provides. Would I like the ride of the Mazda 6 better? yes..oh but different price range. This car smacks the competition for someone looking at new for under $17k.

Favorite Features

Sporty drive, stereo system, gas mileage, reliability

Suggested Improvements

The seat could use more adjustments (height)

My Mazda is a Rocket Ship
By jennypenny575

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've been driving a 2000 Ford Focus SE Sedan before this car, so you can imagine that most cars would be a vast improvement. Not so, my Focus was a great car, it had great pickup, decent gas mileage(23 mixed) and a rather comfortable ride. But my Mazda is a rocketship. I had wanted a Mazda3 back in 2008 when I was originally car shopping. I ended up with a 7 year old focus because the Mazda was out of my price range. So the fact that I have it now is even sweeter. After test driving the Versa, the Focus, the Fit, and the Elantra, it was pretty much a runaway with the Mazda. I knew it was the car for me 5 minutes into the test drive. Smooth driving, fun to shift, everything is great.

Favorite Features

Some of my favorite features are the Bluetooth, the automatic shifter, the SkyActiv engine....and the cargo space. Oh and the gas mileage! I'm getting 32 mixed right now, which is a fantastic improvement. On top of that, I'm having a blast with the shifter and the Bluetooth means I'll never have to physically pick up my phone again. And the Mazda3 has enough tech goodies to keep a technophile like me, happy and engaged.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like the center console/armrest to be moved up slightly. I do wish it had the same inside tech as the Focus(voice commands for music and such) and I wish the color choices had been a bit more broad. Maybe less grey and something a bit more colorful? If they had had the Mazda3 in lime I would of snatched it up so quickly your eyes would of hurt. I'm also semi-worried about how much space there is for the backseat. But since I'm the driver and I never have to sit back there, it's kind of a moot point. For the most part, I wouldn't change a thing on my Mazda. It's perfect the way it is. And I got it for a great price! My Mazda is the perfect package, bow and all.

Good car after 2 months
By amoozed

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Quite a nice ride so far. I'm averaging 30 mpg 50/50 city/highway. My question for those pushing 40 mph-how do you drive 60 mph on the freeway? I live in San Francisco, CA, and you will literally get run off the road for driving under 70 mph on the freeways here.

Favorite Features

6 speed manual, bluetooth, handling, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior design (esp. the rear of the car). Increase interior space.