Used 2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Love my Mazda
By jonno86

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've now owned my 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv (auto) for almost 21 months, and I still love the car as if I bought it yesterday. In true Mazda fashion, the 3 delivers the fun-to-drive factor - it has razor-sharp steering and handling. It really makes the car handle predictably and makes me feel very connected to the road. However, that close connection to the road reduces ride comfort because of the firmer suspension. This is usually the compromise with a sporty-handling car. Reliability has proven to be rock solid. I was very nervous about purchasing the Skyactiv model with its completely new engine and transmission design, but my fears were unfounded.

Favorite Features

As I already indicated, handling is phenomenal. The car feels very agile, and it's a blast to drive. The automatic transmission, for the most part, shifts smooth as butter. The engine is also very responsive and is mated well to the transmission. The glovebox is surprisingly large and very deep - excellent storage capacity. The trunk opens and closes with a hydraulic system that does not intrude into the cargo area. I don't have to worry about a trunk hinge crushing anything. The radio and climate controls are simple with big knobs and buttons that are very easy to grasp at a first glance.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is pronounced, especially on the highway; it can get tiring on long trips. This car needs more sound-dampening materials. The centre console armrest does not extend far enough and doesn't allow me to rest my arm while driving. The engine sounds a bit coarse and loud on a cold start. The RPM drops instantly, however, when the car is placed in gear. This is perfectly normal operation by the way, as the car is retarding ignition timing to quickly heat up the catalytic converter to reduce emissions.

18 Months of Driving
By bronxy192

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car for 18 months now with over 8,000 miles. It's a skyactiv 6 speed manual. The only complaints I have thus far is the acceleration and the middle console. I find myself needing to downshift to pick up any speed. It's a bit sluggish, but once at cruising speed on the highway, the 3 drives great. The suspension is good. I have hit several pot small holes after a wild winter here in New Jersey, and the 3 has handled them with no problems. The middle console is little to be desired. I wish the arm rest would slide out to accommodate my arm, but it's very short and placed in an odd position. It has storage and I find I need to shift and turn my body around to open it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, exterior appearance. Stock radio sounds good, CDs sound better when played. The room - I'm 6 feet tall and 260 pounds. I fit comfortably in he drivers seat.

Suggested Improvements

Sluggish acceleration, arm rest needs to be longer.

So much fun to Drive
By niskoman

2012 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I love everything about this car.I have 26 k on it and runs like a champ! 2,5L engine makes such a difference ! Received so many compliments about my car.Most people loves Mazda's design. Handling by far is the best feature in this car and it makes it so fun to drive. The seats could be more comfy but it is a sports car! Raced a guy with Golf GT Turbo and zoomed him out lol . Interior is very appealing and cool. Bose speakers absolutely ROCK ! The sunroof is cool for the summer. To save gas strongly recommend to use cruise control and drive around 60mhph. I'm a huge fan of MAZDA and would recommend this car to everybody.

Favorite Features

Handling , Acceleration and speed

Suggested Improvements

Automatic lights and usb port

Great Value
By dakotabmr

2012 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this used 2012 Mazda 3 isport , Automatic 4dr, 2.0 28K miles for my daughter her senior yr in high school to last through college. We compared the used Corolla, Sentra, Elantra, Civic for a max price of $12000 and found the Mazda3 the best value. It has a "Good" rating from the IIHS-which is the highest, 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS, stability control, multiple airbags. Good reliability, Great handling, comfortable, easy to use controls and layout. 60/40 split folding rear seat. We get 35mpg/highway, 14.5 gallon fuel tank makes for 450 miles on a tank!. I do most of the regular service, so the oil, air filter, cabin filter, wipers were fairly easy to change out.

Favorite Features

Dash layout, driver seat position and visibility, great handling......some may say stiff ride, but that translates into improved control of the car. Overall a great small car for our needs!

Suggested Improvements

Some material is a bit cheap as the passenger side under the dash molding is only in place by two small clips and a one post from the firewall...very flimsy. Small back seat, but that was known. The cabin air filter should be in an easier access point.

Fun on Four Wheels and a Budget
By cleverjason

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After driving the car a while, it's easy to forget how peppy this little compact really is. So, to remind myself, I let my friends take it out for a spin every now and then, and when they push the pedal down and let off the clutch, and when you watch the inevitable Zoom Zoom smile spread across their faces, you remember why you bought it. Make no mistake: The 3 is no sports car, and calling it sporty for its class is like calling a Mr. Coffee pot "gourmet." But the Mazda 3 feels like a sportier car than it is, and that's why most people love driving it. If you can get your hands on a SkyActiv with a manual like I did, you'll realize those modest 155 ponies pull more than their weight.

Favorite Features

Did I mention the SkyActiv-G engine? It's an impressive piece of machinery, delivering good horsepower (for a compact) while getting impressive real-world gas mileage. I drive conservatively in mostly city settings, and I average about 34 mpg. On long highway trips, it's not that hard to beat the EPA-estimated 40, either. I also like the Dune interior and the fold-down seats, which offer considerable cargo space, as does the spare wheel cavity under the trunk (seriously, check that out. It's easy to fit fix a flat, a window scraper and jumper cables in there with the donut).

Suggested Improvements

A little more passenger space in the backseat would be a huge plus. As a 6-foot fella, I pity the fool who has to ride directly behind me. And although I like the interior, it is terribly outdated and half the controls on the CD player are useless (but then, so is the CD player thanks to the bluetooth and aux input). If you're looking for a car you'll love driving that can largely ignore gas stations, and if you don't need a cream-of-the-crop interior, the Mazda is by far the best choice in the class.