2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
18 Months of Driving
By bronxy192 on 04/12/14 07:44 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car for 18 months now with over 8,000 miles. It's a skyactiv 6 speed manual. The only complaints I have thus far is the acceleration and the middle console. I find myself needing to downshift to pick up any speed. It's a bit sluggish, but once at cruising speed on the highway, the 3 drives great. The suspension is good. I have hit several pot small holes after a wild winter here in New Jersey, and the 3 has handled them with no problems. The middle console is little to be desired. I wish the arm rest would slide out to accommodate my arm, but it's very short and placed in an odd position. It has storage and I find I need to shift and turn my body around to open it.

I love it
By kylejj on 08/16/13 15:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I traded in my Honda Civic for this car and I am now a Mazda guy after loving my Honda. I test drove and researched many of makes and models, but ended up finding Mazda was just a better car and then the price made it even better. The car is a blast to drive and I do drive very hard, but still return an average of 34mpg for 50/50 city/hwy driving. The car handles great, but does have a tight suspension where I feel all the bumps, but that is because the roads in Indiana are awful. The controls are great and easy to use. (no navigation). There is plenty of room for 4 adults and our luggage. I love the versatility of the Hatchback.

If you have a highway commute...
By mattman44 on 05/29/13 17:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

...set cruise @ 65 through one full tank. Since then my last 5 full tanks have gone from steady 37-38 to over 40mpg, peaking at 42.5 (doing math). It can be done you just have to be smart. Cruise helps more than I thought. Lifetime computer average @ 38.3 after 13k so far. Traded Rio after Kia lied about mpg. 3 is bigger, more fun to drive and much more efficient. A few more standard features would help but my smartphone covers most I would want. Easiest self oil change car I've owned. Next gen looks better but probably more $. Seats more for sport than comfort. Feels solid/reliable. Ride slightly harsh, but drove NJ-FL without chronic injury. Space is useable, lower cargo floor would help.

UNCOMFORTABLE
By donchevy97 on 03/15/13 12:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

takes corners and speed bumps terribly. rides extremely stiff

great mileage, cramped and impractical cabin
By clee15 on 10/29/12 12:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I drove a Protege5 for 10 years and I loved that car. I fully expected to love my new 2012 Mazda 3 but have been disappointed--no love yet. Yes, it gets awesome gas mileage -- but it is not nearly as spirited or fun to drive as the Protege5. Hugs the road well, but quite sluggish acceleration. If you have the 6 spd manual, plan to do a LOT of shifting very quickly. Disappointing driving experience compared to Protege5. Interior cabin is cramped due to enormous dash and console, and ceiling in rear is much lower than Protege so if you have a dog in the back, it better be a short one.

The Perfect Utility Commuter Car
By tr_pe on 08/07/12 08:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Having a 70 mile (round trip) commute to drive every day will make you think long and hard about what you want in a car. I waited about 4 months to write this review so I would have a large sample size to go on. About 80-85% of my driving are freeway miles, in San Francisco Bay Area traffic. Having now put about 9,000 miles on the car, I can tell you unequivocally that I made the right choice in a new vehicle. I am AVERAGING 39 mpg. I could probably get better than 40 if I slowed down a little. I've had the mileage get as high as 44.5 mpg over a 35 mile stretch with the cruise control locked in at 65 mph. YSeats are comfy for extended drives. Manual tranny and clutch are very precise.

So Far an excellent car
By minichrt1 on 07/16/12 09:38 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

To keep this short and sweet my wife gets almost 500 miles per 11 gallons of fuel. It is a 14 gallon tank so when the fuel light goes on there should be 3 gallons left but it is hard to ignore the fuel light and the range being under 40 miles. Best example of mileage that we have repeated more than once... 60 mph in 6th gear on a straight and level stretch or road with the cruise control and AC on with 4 people in the car 44.7 mpg turn off the ac and it goes up to 47mpg. This is not drafting and the instant mpg readout will hold steady as long as the road is level.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback in VA is:

$145 per month*