Used 2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Fun, Good Quality, Good Value
By Lisa Muffley

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Mazda 3 a little over a year now. I was considering a Honda and Toyota, and settled on this Mazda, after reading Edmunds reviews. This car is amazing! I love the comfort and feel, the bose audio, everything about it. I would recommend it 100%!

Great all around car
By filthburger

I drove an 02 Civic Si for 9 years and loved it. Traded it in on a CX-7, but the CX-7 did not quite get me what I wanted. I traded it in on the newer Mazda 3 Wagon with the I Grand Touring package. I love it. My gas has been 38mpg while commuting, mostly freeway at 65-70mph and has been 36mpg on a long trip doing 80+ most of the way. I'm 6'3" 220lbs and am fairly comfortable in it. could have more head room, but it's not bad at all. I would not want to put 4 adults my size in it, but can fit the little woman and a 9 and 11 year old in the back. I think the nav is a little useless due to the fact that phones have a better one these days. peppy engine, decent storage.

Favorite Features

heated seats help my back out a lot. i even use it in the summer here in SoCal. The leather is a better quality than the CX-7 i owned. it handles like a cat. gas mileage rocks.

Suggested Improvements

would have liked 17" rims and fog lights for what i paid, but i understand that i have a lot of tech in this car for the money. tinted windows would have been nice, but i've fixed that. wish it came with the roof rack.

Best of Both Worlds
By mandowen

This car will serve different needs, depending on your mood. If you are feeling economical, the fuel efficiency is great. I got over 41 mpg on a recent road trip. If you want to have some driving fun, the car is very responsive and, although I have the automatic, you can flip it into manual mode for more control. The hatchback is very roomy and I recently brought home my son's dorm refrigerator in it. Great car!

Favorite Features

Economy, responsiveness, flexible space.

Suggested Improvements

It gets a little noisy on rough pavements, though most of the time I don't notice it. Not sure if it's the tires or just the insulation.

Nice compromise
By guycan

Having owned both a Madza CX 7 (2011) and a Miata (2002) I have nothing but good things to say about the 3 hatchback. It is fun to drive whether on super highways or on country roads with plenty of room in the trunk to boot. It is highly responsive and much quicker than I had anticipated and gets exceptional gas mileage. My spouse who felt the 7 was unwieldy and difficult to park in tight spots is at ease in the 3 which , we're boomers, is quite bit more comfortable than the Miata. We have not driven it yet in winter but do not anticipate any problems with icy or snowy conditions with the proper snow tires. Ony negative may be the standard Bridgestone Turanzas which are noisy .

Favorite Features

handling, gas mileage, looks, trunk space

Suggested Improvements

better standard tires, climate control (not offered on this model in Canada)

zoom zoom zoom
By izoomzoom

Driving this car will put a smile on your face. The new direct-injected SkyActiv engine feels fast and powerful. The car handles great on the road. The i Grand Touring comes well equipped with features like leather seats, sunroof, navigation, bluetooth, and Bose stereo. The seats are comfortable and controls are well positioned. The navigation screen is small and a little awkward to use. Bluetooth works great. Bose audio sounds great. Visibility is pretty good except out the short back window. Good amount of cargo space. Overall the Mazda3 is a great car, and Mazda has improved it for 2012.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, SkyActiv, Bose stereo, fun to drive, standard leather seats

Suggested Improvements

Make fog lights standard on the i Grand Touring, improved Navigation, better consistency on color of backlight on controls and displays, better OEM tires, rear-backup camera and other goodies