Used 2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

USED 2012
By Norm Marrx

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Great car with minor drawbacks
By Daniel

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

2012 Mazda3 S Grand Touring Hatchback (non-skyactiv) bought new in August 2013 since apparently I'm the only one who values tech and aesthetics over fuel economy, and the vehicle sat almost a year and a half with no buyer before I came along.

The good:

Great handling, a blast to drive, decent acceleration for a 4 cylinder. Love the look of the Crystal White Pearl Mica with black leather interior, side sill extensions and larger wheels than base model. MPG is very close to what it's rated at 24.6 avg mpg so far, roughly 60-40 city to highway miles. Awesome reliability. On my second Mazda since 2007 and roughly 100k combined miles between the two with absolutely no major issues whatsoever. Love the soft blue interior lighting, and the panning HID headlights which give awesome visibility at night. Like the infotainment system overall with the sat radio, etc., but no backup camera?? Blind spot monitoring works great. Interior space is good, and I like the layout of the controls and the overall aesthetic of the interior. Dual climate control is nice for the girlfriend who tends to like it cooler on her side than I prefer, but the auto feature is annoying.

The bad:

-Road Noise. Let me say it again: Road Noise. This car is DEAFENING at highway speeds. Forget using your stereo to actually hear your music, you have to yell just so your passengers can hear you. People are constantly telling me it's the loudest vehicle they've ever ridden in, which is ridiculous. If you take a roadtrip in this thing, prepare for a long one because it's exhausting to listen to all day. I find myself slowing down just to lessen the noise for a bit of relief.

- I believe the navigation system was sent by God to punish me for my sins. Going from Jackson, MS to Panama City Beach, FL, it tried to send me to New Orleans first, adding a 3-hour detour to my trip. Thankfully I was also using my android phone's nav and recognized what it was doing. It never differentiates between "Bear left" and just a leftward bend in the road. Identifies your exit as you are driving past it. I despise this nav system and rarely use it.

- The seats are some of the least comfortable leather seats I've ever sat in, and not great for extended use.

- Not a fan of push-button starts and smart keys. Just give me a keyless entry and an actual turn key ignition and I'll be happy. My dash cam interferes with it, so if the camera is running and I get out of the car with the engine running, the vehicle re-scans for the smart key and can't find it, so it beeps at me and flashes its no-key light on the guages until the vehicle is restarted. And if the camera is running, the vehicle will not start. Also, there's no way to go from engine on to accessory mode without shutting the whole system down first. Finally, I hate having things in my pockets so I always take the key out and put it in the console, but since my garage is detached, I'm constantly getting up to my apartment door only to find I've closed the garage door and walked away without my keys. Push-button starts are just a hassle for someone like me.

- Visibility isn't great with this huge fat C (or D?) pillar. Backing out of parking spaces is extremely treacherous, especially with no backup camera or sensors.

- I also hate auto climate control. On a hot day, it's kicks on at full speed to get the temp down to your selected number ASAP. I don't need to be blown away, I just need cool air blowing on me. Never use auto feature.

Body integrity problems
By rustybody

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have a Mazda 3 Sky active with 25000 kilometers on it. The hood has developed numerous small rust spots on it. There are also small areas where the clear coat is peeling off the paint. The color is Graphite gray metallic. The car has been well cared for and is not abused in any way. The fuel economy is good, but not as good as advertised, otherwise love the car.

The rust has continued to grow, and I have ordered a carbon fiber hood to replace it, as once started rust cannot be stopped.

Fun, Good Quality, Good Value
By Lisa Muffley

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Mazda 3 a little over a year now. I was considering a Honda and Toyota, and settled on this Mazda, after reading Edmunds reviews. This car is amazing! I love the comfort and feel, the bose audio, everything about it. I would recommend it 100%!

18 Months of Driving
By bronxy192

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car for 18 months now with over 8,000 miles. It's a skyactiv 6 speed manual. The only complaints I have thus far is the acceleration and the middle console.
I find myself needing to downshift to pick up any speed. It's a bit sluggish, but once at cruising speed on the highway, the 3 drives great. The suspension is good. I have hit several pot small holes after a wild winter here in New Jersey, and the 3 has handled them with no problems. The middle console is little to be desired. I wish the arm rest would slide out to accommodate my arm, but it's very short and placed in an odd position. It has storage and I find I need to shift and turn my body around to open it.

Fun to drive, exterior appearance. Stock radio sounds good, CDs sound better when played. The room - I'm 6 feet tall and 260 pounds. I fit comfortably in he drivers seat.

Sluggish acceleration, arm rest needs to be longer.