Used 2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Body integrity problems
By rustybody

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have a Mazda 3 Sky active with 25000 kilometers on it. The hood has developed numerous small rust spots on it. There are also small areas where the clear coat is peeling off the paint. The color is charcoal gray metallic. The car has been well cared for and is not abused in any way. The fuel economy is good, but not as good as advertised, otherwise love the car.

Favorite Features

Car is fun to drive, looks good and handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

Body integrity could be better, even the slightest almost invisible paint chip will result in an almost immediate rust spot start blistering out around the chip.

Fun, Good Quality, Good Value
By Lisa Muffley

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Mazda 3 a little over a year now. I was considering a Honda and Toyota, and settled on this Mazda, after reading Edmunds reviews. This car is amazing! I love the comfort and feel, the bose audio, everything about it. I would recommend it 100%!

18 Months of Driving
By bronxy192

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car for 18 months now with over 8,000 miles. It's a skyactiv 6 speed manual. The only complaints I have thus far is the acceleration and the middle console. I find myself needing to downshift to pick up any speed. It's a bit sluggish, but once at cruising speed on the highway, the 3 drives great. The suspension is good. I have hit several pot small holes after a wild winter here in New Jersey, and the 3 has handled them with no problems. The middle console is little to be desired. I wish the arm rest would slide out to accommodate my arm, but it's very short and placed in an odd position. It has storage and I find I need to shift and turn my body around to open it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, exterior appearance. Stock radio sounds good, CDs sound better when played. The room - I'm 6 feet tall and 260 pounds. I fit comfortably in he drivers seat.

Suggested Improvements

Sluggish acceleration, arm rest needs to be longer.

I love it
By kylejj

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I traded in my Honda Civic for this car and I am now a Mazda guy after loving my Honda. I test drove and researched many of makes and models, but ended up finding Mazda was just a better car and then the price made it even better. The car is a blast to drive and I do drive very hard, but still return an average of 34mpg for 50/50 city/hwy driving. The car handles great, but does have a tight suspension where I feel all the bumps, but that is because the roads in Indiana are awful. The controls are great and easy to use. (no navigation). There is plenty of room for 4 adults and our luggage. I love the versatility of the Hatchback.

Favorite Features

The sporty drive and feel. The versatility of the hatchback. The controls are easy to read and find. A manual transmission (hard to find now days). Lots of cup holders and storage.

Suggested Improvements

More options with the manual transmission! The info screen needs to give more info, for example when the radio is on, display the artist and song title. A light in the trunk/hatch area that turns on when the lift gate is opened.

If you have a highway commute...
By mattman44

2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

...set cruise @ 65 through one full tank. Since then my last 5 full tanks have gone from steady 37-38 to over 40mpg, peaking at 42.5 (doing math). It can be done you just have to be smart. Cruise helps more than I thought. Lifetime computer average @ 38.3 after 13k so far. Traded Rio after Kia lied about mpg. 3 is bigger, more fun to drive and much more efficient. A few more standard features would help but my smartphone covers most I would want. Easiest self oil change car I've owned. Next gen looks better but probably more $. Seats more for sport than comfort. Feels solid/reliable. Ride slightly harsh, but drove NJ-FL without chronic injury. Space is useable, lower cargo floor would help.

Favorite Features

Unlike others Skyactiv Tech is not hype. 475-525 mile tank range. Check out Fuelly. It's not just me. Love the hatch option. Save the manuals! You can customize the turn signal clicker volume...brilliant. Rear headrests don't have to be removed to fold the seats flat.

Suggested Improvements

-Extra long sun visors to, ya know, cover more than 20 percent of the side window. -Softer suspension option. -More detailed trip computer. -Less stiff seating. -Power window switches seem too far forward.