2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
18 Months of Driving
By bronxy192 on 04/12/14 07:44 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car for 18 months now with over 8,000 miles. It's a skyactiv 6 speed manual. The only complaints I have thus far is the acceleration and the middle console. I find myself needing to downshift to pick up any speed. It's a bit sluggish, but once at cruising speed on the highway, the 3 drives great. The suspension is good. I have hit several pot small holes after a wild winter here in New Jersey, and the 3 has handled them with no problems. The middle console is little to be desired. I wish the arm rest would slide out to accommodate my arm, but it's very short and placed in an odd position. It has storage and I find I need to shift and turn my body around to open it.

I love it
By kylejj on 08/16/13 15:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I traded in my Honda Civic for this car and I am now a Mazda guy after loving my Honda. I test drove and researched many of makes and models, but ended up finding Mazda was just a better car and then the price made it even better. The car is a blast to drive and I do drive very hard, but still return an average of 34mpg for 50/50 city/hwy driving. The car handles great, but does have a tight suspension where I feel all the bumps, but that is because the roads in Indiana are awful. The controls are great and easy to use. (no navigation). There is plenty of room for 4 adults and our luggage. I love the versatility of the Hatchback.

If you have a highway commute...
By mattman44 on 05/29/13 17:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

...set cruise @ 65 through one full tank. Since then my last 5 full tanks have gone from steady 37-38 to over 40mpg, peaking at 42.5 (doing math). It can be done you just have to be smart. Cruise helps more than I thought. Lifetime computer average @ 38.3 after 13k so far. Traded Rio after Kia lied about mpg. 3 is bigger, more fun to drive and much more efficient. A few more standard features would help but my smartphone covers most I would want. Easiest self oil change car I've owned. Next gen looks better but probably more $. Seats more for sport than comfort. Feels solid/reliable. Ride slightly harsh, but drove NJ-FL without chronic injury. Space is useable, lower cargo floor would help.

So far so good
By jhunterk on 04/01/13 19:47 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Have had the car for 10 months, 6k miles, 0 problem so far. IMHO, it is the best compromise among gas mileage, cosmetics, reliability, and a sporty ride. On highway, the 40mpg is spot on. The hatchback is super useful, once I was able to put FIVE dinning chairs in it. Very good lumbar support too. Con: The ride could be bumpy on crapy road because of its sporty suspension. Not as quiet as toyota, could use better noise isolation

UNCOMFORTABLE
By donchevy97 on 03/15/13 12:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

takes corners and speed bumps terribly. rides extremely stiff

My Mazda is a Rocket Ship
By jennypenny575 on 02/20/13 14:43 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've been driving a 2000 Ford Focus SE Sedan before this car, so you can imagine that most cars would be a vast improvement. Not so, my Focus was a great car, it had great pickup, decent gas mileage(23 mixed) and a rather comfortable ride. But my Mazda is a rocketship. I had wanted a Mazda3 back in 2008 when I was originally car shopping. I ended up with a 7 year old focus because the Mazda was out of my price range. So the fact that I have it now is even sweeter. After test driving the Versa, the Focus, the Fit, and the Elantra, it was pretty much a runaway with the Mazda. I knew it was the car for me 5 minutes into the test drive. Smooth driving, fun to shift, everything is great.

2000 mile review
By zoomzoom2012 on 12/24/12 06:20 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Looked at the following Hatchbacks. All Subaru models Nissan Rouge GTI Focus Mazda 3 After looking at everything I was willing to buy, I purchased a 2012 I-touring with Skyactiv Engine and Auto Trans. This power plant it awesome. It is the smoothest I have ever driven. Power really comes on at 2800 to 3000 rpm giving me ability to choose gas mileage or Zoom zoom. The interior is 'Spartan' but still an upgrade from my 2002 Wrangler. I really like the BT hands free phone function. According to the computer I am getting 32.1 MPG since buying the car, (50/50 hwy and city). I checked at the pump and my numbers came back 31.8, that to me is pretty good.

Great commuter car
By cardriver15 on 12/09/12 15:34 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After test driving the Civic, Focus and Elantra, I decided on the 3 because of that fun factor. It doesn't necessarily feel like an economy car when driving. I'm getting the advertised 32-33 combined mpg. 40+ highway mpg is feasible if you stay below 70mph. I've found 37-38mpg is more realistic if you're like me and tend to drive faster than 70mph on the highway. It's aged pretty good for an almost 3 year old design. I think newer designs like the civic and Elantra already look aged compared to the 3.

My 4th Mazda wagon
By gregstl on 11/25/12 14:39 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Previously owned: -02 Protege 5 -08 Speed3 -10 Speed3 Many things remain the same through the years. Sporty handling, quirky but some how attractive interior, road noise, fun-to-drive, best hatch for the money, etc. What was new and enticing was the Skyactiv drivetrain and a Mazda3 getting over 30mpg.. let alone nearly 40mpg. Haven't quite gotten there yet on average, but it seems possible. If you keep the RPM around 1800-1900 which is close to 60mph.. you'll break 40mpg. After that it seems to dissipate pretty quickly. You'd be lucky getting over 30mpg at 70mph. At the end of the day, you can pick one of these up for under $17K brand new at some dealers. Best car made under $17K.

great mileage, cramped and impractical cabin
By clee15 on 10/29/12 12:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I drove a Protege5 for 10 years and I loved that car. I fully expected to love my new 2012 Mazda 3 but have been disappointed--no love yet. Yes, it gets awesome gas mileage -- but it is not nearly as spirited or fun to drive as the Protege5. Hugs the road well, but quite sluggish acceleration. If you have the 6 spd manual, plan to do a LOT of shifting very quickly. Disappointing driving experience compared to Protege5. Interior cabin is cramped due to enormous dash and console, and ceiling in rear is much lower than Protege so if you have a dog in the back, it better be a short one.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback in VA is:

$141 per month*