Used 2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

I wish I could say I love the car but...
By jl2157

2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I wanted more than ANYTHING for this car to be the last one I purchased for a while. Fuel economy was great (Avg. 30 MPG City) and it's so much fun to drive. Sadly, at around 11K Mi. one of the transmission valves blew. Mazda replaced all the trans. valves without issue. Fuel efficiency dropped to 28 MPG. Then at 19,500 Mi. the transmission gave out entirely. Mazda Roadside was quick to response and the dealer has been excellent. Still, I've only had the car 2 yrs. and the entire transmission is now being replaced!? This was a $24K car. To say I'm very disappointed is an under statement. Sadly, I'm now considering trading this in on a more reliable brand once repairs are done.

Fun Drive
By hmm3

2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have driven the car for about 600 miles. It is fun to drive, steering is precise and gives a great feel for the road. Acceleration is plenty good for an engine this size. I have bee n getting 38-40 miles per gallon driven 2/3 highway 1/3 city. The ride is firm, much more than a Corolla or a Accord. I think it is great for the driver, not so great for every body else. Seats are comfortable with good lumbar support. The blind spot warning system and the adaptative lights are great and function flawlessly. The Bose stereo is very good but not outstanding. Trunk space is limited but OK for a commuter car.

Steering, fuel economy. The undefinable Zoom Zoom

Softer ride would help. Less road noise too.

love this car
By luvmymazda1

2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I just got my Mazda 3 4 days ago and I love it. I had been looking at buying a new car for about 5 months and I was trying to decide between the mazda and the dodge dart. As of now I think I made the right choice The only negatives to this car is I don't recommend if your going to have frequent passangers in the back seat it is a little tight. If you really need a navigation system this one is not adequate but for me I live in a small city so to me it is cute decoration. The heated seats will be nice in the winter I like how you there are 5 settings instead of just on or off. The seats are comfotable. I will wait to review more when I drive it in winter

Heated Seats, Sirus xm radio, leather seats, gas mileage, blind spot monitoring

backseat room and navigation screen like what is in the Mazda 6

excellent car....wife "loves her zoom zoom"!
By ajax13

2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

First car review I have ever written, at 59 yo too. But this car warrants the review!! We have had this car since the end of Nov., & 3500 miles on it now. Is my wife's car & her choice after driving the Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, VW Jetta...this was her choice hands down, & mine too! This is the first car my wife says, "she loves, & loves to drive", that she has ever had! She calls it her "ZZ"=zoomzoom-lol. When reading the original reviews of this car before buying it, I noted that the word "love" was used by most reviewers in the 1st paragragh=now I/we know why-it is plain fun to drive! Excellent car in all ways, as my ideal owned past car was a 1990 Nissan 300ZX, & this car matches it!!

Wife 'loves' the Bose stereo. The seats are very comfy & w/ the 5 range heating, are great! I am 6'2" w/ long legs & fits me just fine to drive. We are getting 30-32 mpg city/hiway combo, & our first long day highway trip doing ~70mph, & up/down WA mts. too, got 41mpg=great!! Wife says just plain fun to drive, in that peppy, quick, fast & accurate steering. The ride has mellowed from very firm, to comfy firm after this break in time of 3500 miles,so is near perfect ride now=smooth ride & tight in turns w/ little or no body lean, even though ones shoulder is in the door=compares to the old 300ZX rocket ship I owned. Just plain fun & great car to drive, over this past 5 months!! Reco=buy it!!!

The road noise is the only factor, but is fine & no big deal. But I had to rental 2 cars this past few months, that were equals to this car...Honda Civic & Nissan Altima...& the road noise was near the same, so is a wash in comaparison now. Only car better in noise was the Hyndai Elantra & VW Jetta deisel...but not by a huge margin. I thought that "little" Nav window was too small at first, but now is perfect!!...it is up hi on dash, right in the field of driving vision, & just large enuff to see what ya need to see, & thus not distracting=a perfect engineering design, imo!!...so this too is a washout complaint. All in all, no complaints & great car=one of best ever owned in lifetime!!!!

Insurance is high
By 3_mazdas

2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I own 3 Mazdas, all from 2012 (cx9, 6, and 3). I agree with all regarding this car's excellent performance, gas mileage and design. I have the Grand Touring i with Skyactiv and Tech Package and my wife and I love it for all the reasons above. One word of caution though. Insurance is quite high. The premium for my mazda3 is 50% higher than that of my brand new CX-9 which is worth $10k more than the mazda3. And my wife and I are considered the best drivers by Geico. So, if you think you save lots on gas mileage, think twice, after valueing insurance. THis is considered a sports car, unlike competitors such as Civic or corolla. If you like a fun and green car, then get the mazda3.

Blind spot monitoring, great mileage, auto-shifting lights.