Used 2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

60,000 MILE UPDATE
By hoveringfalcon

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Iíve returned to update my review with three years of ownership and 60,000 miles under my belt. I take back what I said last time about the lack of driver seat comfort; a couple months after writing that I found a seating position that works for me. I lowered the seat all the way and that has eliminated all of my leg room problems. Piloting the Mazda is now a pretty comfortable experience if driving for less than a few hours. Steering and handling is still great. I replaced the stock tires with some Bridgestone Potenza summer rubber and this thing sticks to the pavement like glue.

Favorite Features

I have already spoken of its fuel economy but I think it's worth noting that I once achieved 44 mpg on a tank with an average speed of 29 mph. All I did was accelerate gradually and use cruise control a lot. It's possible to get over 600 miles out of a single tank. This is not the most practical car in the world, there isnít a lot of rear seat legroom and the trunk is small, but youíd be surprised what kind of stuff you can fit into it with the seats folded down. A TV stand in the box? No problem. I havenít had to visit the dealership for anything other than routine maintenance. Oil changes every 7,000 miles and brake pads are just now needing replaced.

Suggested Improvements

The biggest issue is the tight suspension. The new Mazda3 is a lot better in that respect, but youíll be feeling a lot of bumps in the '12 and '13 models. I love the design of the interior but itís a little on the cheap side compared to a few of its competitors. Takes forever to heat up, I get about halfway to work by the time the blue light on the instrument panel disappears and warm air starts coming out of the vents. The AC also isn't the greatest. Still recommend this for someone who wants a fuel efficient car but enjoys driving. Look elsewhere if you want an upscale interior, soft ride or lots of backseat room.

25K miles update
By mokosh

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After 25K miles of ownership I would still give it 3 out of 5 for comfort. Had a computer recall update, (high idling rpm) now it's much better (visit your local dealer and let them update the computer and you'll see the engine difference.) Still too low, new model is 3'' higher. Good for commuting, sucks for long trips. Good mpg. Many useless buttons on a cd player. Rear seats don't have enough leg room. Still reliable. Sitting position not as high as other models. Just understand me right, suspension is perfect on a race track, but not very good on a daily basis - the way too firm. Good for the price, however I would take a look on corolla or civic if you prefer more comfortable ride.

Favorite Features

MPG, Bluetooth, steering, nice soft material, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is too firm, make it softer. We don't have such nice roads here in the US like in Japan. I guess they already lifted up 2014 model to 3'' higher, which is good. Many useless buttons on a cd player. Why don't they just leave a space for your tablet or 3rd party navigation/entertainment system? Increase a leg space for the 2nd row.

Love my Mazda
By jonno86

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've now owned my 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv (auto) for almost 21 months, and I still love the car as if I bought it yesterday. In true Mazda fashion, the 3 delivers the fun-to-drive factor - it has razor-sharp steering and handling. It really makes the car handle predictably and makes me feel very connected to the road. However, that close connection to the road reduces ride comfort because of the firmer suspension. This is usually the compromise with a sporty-handling car. Reliability has proven to be rock solid. I was very nervous about purchasing the Skyactiv model with its completely new engine and transmission design, but my fears were unfounded.

Favorite Features

As I already indicated, handling is phenomenal. The car feels very agile, and it's a blast to drive. The automatic transmission, for the most part, shifts smooth as butter. The engine is also very responsive and is mated well to the transmission. The glovebox is surprisingly large and very deep - excellent storage capacity. The trunk opens and closes with a hydraulic system that does not intrude into the cargo area. I don't have to worry about a trunk hinge crushing anything. The radio and climate controls are simple with big knobs and buttons that are very easy to grasp at a first glance.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is pronounced, especially on the highway; it can get tiring on long trips. This car needs more sound-dampening materials. The centre console armrest does not extend far enough and doesn't allow me to rest my arm while driving. The engine sounds a bit coarse and loud on a cold start. The RPM drops instantly, however, when the car is placed in gear. This is perfectly normal operation by the way, as the car is retarding ignition timing to quickly heat up the catalytic converter to reduce emissions.

I pretty much hate this car...
By watyf

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I had to drive my '98 Civic today because the wife needed the Mazda, and I was literally relieved to not be driving this car. Mainly because it's incredibly uncomfortable. The seats are rock-hard, the whole cabin is cramped, there is NO rear legroom if the front passengers are normal-sized, the steering wheel never stays straight (apparently "sporty handling" means "have to make constant adjustments to the steering wheel even when driving straight"), the headrests are awkward and stiff, and you feel EVERY bump in the road. The little things about this car, like cupholders that a cup gets lost in and a trunk that DOESN'T pop open (unlike every other car I've ever owned), just add to it.

Favorite Features

I will say that it gets decent mileage (fairly close to the EPA combined rating of 33) and it isn't bad compared to other cars in this class when it comes to acceleration. It didn't exceed my expectations, but I can't knock it in those areas area. It definitely does have "sporty" handling, but unless you plan to spend all of your time maneuvering around orange cones in a parking lot, it won't compensate for the issues you'll face in all of your non-sporty driving. Basically, if you're thin and short and never plan on having any rear seat passengers, and don't mind an uncomfortable ride in exchange for decent pep and gas mileage, then this is your car.

Suggested Improvements

Everything else. Yes, I realize I should have noticed these things before purchasing, but apparently two test-drives weren't enough to recognize just how much of an issue the (lack of) ride comfort and (lack of) space were going to be.

Really nice car and great fuel economy
By moog555

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have been driving this car for a month now. The fuel economy in this thing is really incredible. I've had five Honda civics in the pass... but this little Mazda beats them all !!!. Also handles the road really nice.. This Sky-activ engine is super smooth and refined... The value in this car is hands down unbeatable.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, road manners, fit and finish

Suggested Improvements

rear leg room is tight...