Used 2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Lots of car envy
By Laurel Abreu

2012 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I've gotten so many compliments on this car. The car's strength is definitely it's performance. It's a manual transmission and it accelerates well, it handles the curves well, it shifts well. It's a lot of fun to drive.
The issues would be the comfort. The front seats are comfortable, but the rear seats aren't roomy. The ride is a bit bumpy. The trunk is small. I haven't had it long enough to rate it's reliability. But so far I'm really enjoying it.

Nice carl
By Tom bailey

2012 Mazda 3 i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent valuel steering&a handling set this car apart from competition. Good. Power;plenty of room.

USED 2012
By Norm Marrx

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The love of my life.
By Nicole

2012 Mazda 3 s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first car (I'm 17 years old). I bought it used with 90,000 miles, chips and dings, and a spoiler, all directing to the fact that the person before me had a blast with it. Still, I've had the car for around a year and haven't had a single problem with it. It's not a sports car by any means, but it is very, very quick. It accelerates like a bolt of lightning, takes corners at any speed you'd like without squealing or pulling from the ground, and the steering is taught and responsive. The turning radius is incredibly tight, and the whole car feels extremely aerodynamic and sporty, especially for a pretty normal mid-size sedan. The cargo space is roomy, enough for me to put my cello in the back if I fold one of the back seats down, in addition to a stand, a backpack, and a fold up chair (which is a LOT). My favorite part, however, is the styling. I have the dark grey touring sedan with a spoiler and tinted windows. The sides are subtly curved, the back is rounded beautifully, and the front... Well, I can't put it any other way. It's the happiest car I've ever seen. The great big smile on the front of my car is what made me fall in love with it. I have a jolly sense of humor, so I don't take my car very seriously; If you want your car to look serious, skip on this one, you'll hate it. But if you want to drive the jolliest mid-size sedan in your neighborhood, you'll fall in love with the clever (and puzzlingly controversial) grille shape. The bonus to all of the above is the gas mileage. I have the skyactiv engine which allows me to get around 30-40 mpg (and it's also bright blue). I'm so very proud of my car, and I treat it like a baby. I hope to be driving it for a long time from now.

Only thing lacking is comfort
By Gregg Nice

2012 Mazda 3 s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this car as a dealer demo in December 2012 with 8200 miles on it. Car is almost perfect. Stick shift was smooth and short. Acceleration with the 2.5L engine was more than enough. And the car handled great. Easily the most fun I've ever had driving a car. Also loved the dash. Dual climate control a plus and the AC was ice cold in the S-touring version. Also had buttons in easy to locate places. Never was distracted by needing to look around too much to find a button. Bose sound system is great. Love the exterior and interior looks, clear rear lights and blinkers on the side view mirrors are nice touches. I received lots of compliments on this car. Averaged about 26 MPG combined. Could get 31-32 highway only with No AC, but that's about the best I got.

The one big negative......COMFORT. Because it has a sporty suspension you feel every bump. And the front seats are simply not made very well. Also at 6'2 I'm probably an inch or 2 too tall for this particular car. I needed the seat all the way back and the steering wheel just doesn't telescope far enough out for a comfy driving position. Also the seat back adjusters are very cheap. You'll notice the chair takes a while to click in place when adjusting. Within the first month I noticed it was aggravating my back and hips, and unfortunatly I finally had to move on from it last month as the discomfort just became too much for me.

However if you are under 6'0 and/or comfort is not a huge deal to you, then I would highly recommend this car. I put about 21k miles on it in the year and a half I had it and never had a single problem. Drove and handled like a dream. And the stick shift was really fun to drive. It's clear Mazda put most of the money under the hood of this car. Which I don't think is a bad thing. Interior doesn't have the greatest materials but I never had a problem with them. If you want a car that's fun to drive that is reliable, safe, and good looking, this is the way to go. If you want a sedan with a smooth ride, look elsewhere.