Used 2012 Mazda Mazda3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Body integrity problems
By rustybody

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have a Mazda 3 Sky active with 25000 kilometers on it. The hood has developed numerous small rust spots on it. There are also small areas where the clear coat is peeling off the paint. The color is charcoal gray metallic. The car has been well cared for and is not abused in any way. The fuel economy is good, but not as good as advertised, otherwise love the car.

Favorite Features

Car is fun to drive, looks good and handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

Body integrity could be better, even the slightest almost invisible paint chip will result in an almost immediate rust spot start blistering out around the chip.

Fun, Good Quality, Good Value
By Lisa Muffley

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Mazda 3 a little over a year now. I was considering a Honda and Toyota, and settled on this Mazda, after reading Edmunds reviews. This car is amazing! I love the comfort and feel, the bose audio, everything about it. I would recommend it 100%!

60,000 MILE UPDATE
By hoveringfalcon

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Iíve returned to update my review with three years of ownership and 60,000 miles under my belt. I take back what I said last time about the lack of driver seat comfort; a couple months after writing that I found a seating position that works for me. I lowered the seat all the way and that has eliminated all of my leg room problems. Piloting the Mazda is now a pretty comfortable experience if driving for less than a few hours. Steering and handling is still great. I replaced the stock tires with some Bridgestone Potenza summer rubber and this thing sticks to the pavement like glue.

Favorite Features

I have already spoken of its fuel economy but I think it's worth noting that I once achieved 44 mpg on a tank with an average speed of 29 mph. All I did was accelerate gradually and use cruise control a lot. It's possible to get over 600 miles out of a single tank. This is not the most practical car in the world, there isnít a lot of rear seat legroom and the trunk is small, but youíd be surprised what kind of stuff you can fit into it with the seats folded down. A TV stand in the box? No problem. I havenít had to visit the dealership for anything other than routine maintenance. Oil changes every 7,000 miles and brake pads are just now needing replaced.

Suggested Improvements

The biggest issue is the tight suspension. The new Mazda3 is a lot better in that respect, but youíll be feeling a lot of bumps in the '12 and '13 models. I love the design of the interior but itís a little on the cheap side compared to a few of its competitors. Takes forever to heat up, I get about halfway to work by the time the blue light on the instrument panel disappears and warm air starts coming out of the vents. The AC also isn't the greatest. Still recommend this for someone who wants a fuel efficient car but enjoys driving. Look elsewhere if you want an upscale interior, soft ride or lots of backseat room.

I wish I could say I love the car but...
By jl2157

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I wanted more than ANYTHING for this car to be the last one I purchased for a while. Fuel economy was great (Avg. 30 MPG City) and it's so much fun to drive. Sadly, at around 11K Mi. one of the transmission valves blew. Mazda replaced all the trans. valves without issue. Fuel efficiency dropped to 28 MPG. Then at 19,500 Mi. the transmission gave out entirely. Mazda Roadside was quick to response and the dealer has been excellent. Still, I've only had the car 2 yrs. and the entire transmission is now being replaced!? This was a $24K car. To say I'm very disappointed is an under statement. Sadly, I'm now considering trading this in on a more reliable brand once repairs are done.

25K miles update
By mokosh

2012 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After 25K miles of ownership I would still give it 3 out of 5 for comfort. Had a computer recall update, (high idling rpm) now it's much better (visit your local dealer and let them update the computer and you'll see the engine difference.) Still too low, new model is 3'' higher. Good for commuting, sucks for long trips. Good mpg. Many useless buttons on a cd player. Rear seats don't have enough leg room. Still reliable. Sitting position not as high as other models. Just understand me right, suspension is perfect on a race track, but not very good on a daily basis - the way too firm. Good for the price, however I would take a look on corolla or civic if you prefer more comfortable ride.

Favorite Features

MPG, Bluetooth, steering, nice soft material, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is too firm, make it softer. We don't have such nice roads here in the US like in Japan. I guess they already lifted up 2014 model to 3'' higher, which is good. Many useless buttons on a cd player. Why don't they just leave a space for your tablet or 3rd party navigation/entertainment system? Increase a leg space for the 2nd row.