Used 2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Easy to drive. Easy to live with. Worth a look
By D del Rosario

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 09/11 (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

It's been a terrific car with no problems whatsoever. It's funner to drive than your typical civic or Corolla and gets as good if not better fuel economy. I think the design interior and exterior wasn't the most impressive - goofy front end, dash layout while functional not very appealing. But that's easy to live with given the other attributes of the car. Back seat is pretty tight, ride firmer than others but not uncomfortable and quite a bit of road noise. Steering is as good as it gets, impressive for this class. Handles well despite not having the grippiest of tires. Gas mileage is great, acceleration on par with others- patience is a virtue here as I've never driven a car in this class that pushes you into the seat save for a wrx or golf gti among others. I'd certainly consider getting another one of these in the future again and would recommend others to consider.

Body integrity problems
By rustybody

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have a Mazda 3 Sky active with 25000 kilometers on it. The hood has developed numerous small rust spots on it. There are also small areas where the clear coat is peeling off the paint. The color is charcoal gray metallic. The car has been well cared for and is not abused in any way. The fuel economy is good, but not as good as advertised, otherwise love the car.

Car is fun to drive, looks good and handles very well.

Body integrity could be better, even the slightest almost invisible paint chip will result in an almost immediate rust spot start blistering out around the chip.

Fun, Good Quality, Good Value
By Lisa Muffley

2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Mazda 3 a little over a year now. I was considering a Honda and Toyota, and settled on this Mazda, after reading Edmunds reviews. This car is amazing! I love the comfort and feel, the bose audio, everything about it. I would recommend it 100%!

60,000 MILE UPDATE
By hoveringfalcon

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Iíve returned to update my review with three years of ownership and 60,000 miles under my belt. I take back what I said last time about the lack of driver seat comfort; a couple months after writing that I found a seating position that works for me. I lowered the seat all the way and that has eliminated all of my leg room problems. Piloting the Mazda is now a pretty comfortable experience if driving for less than a few hours. Steering and handling is still great. I replaced the stock tires with some Bridgestone Potenza summer rubber and this thing sticks to the pavement like glue.

I have already spoken of its fuel economy but I think it's worth noting that I once achieved 44 mpg on a tank with an average speed of 29 mph. All I did was accelerate gradually and use cruise control a lot. It's possible to get over 600 miles out of a single tank. This is not the most practical car in the world, there isnít a lot of rear seat legroom and the trunk is small, but youíd be surprised what kind of stuff you can fit into it with the seats folded down. A TV stand in the box? No problem. I havenít had to visit the dealership for anything other than routine maintenance. Oil changes every 7,000 miles and brake pads are just now needing replaced.

The biggest issue is the tight suspension. The new Mazda3 is a lot better in that respect, but youíll be feeling a lot of bumps in the '12 and '13 models. I love the design of the interior but itís a little on the cheap side compared to a few of its competitors. Takes forever to heat up, I get about halfway to work by the time the blue light on the instrument panel disappears and warm air starts coming out of the vents. The AC also isn't the greatest. Still recommend this for someone who wants a fuel efficient car but enjoys driving. Look elsewhere if you want an upscale interior, soft ride or lots of backseat room.

I wish I could say I love the car but...
By jl2157

2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I wanted more than ANYTHING for this car to be the last one I purchased for a while. Fuel economy was great (Avg. 30 MPG City) and it's so much fun to drive. Sadly, at around 11K Mi. one of the transmission valves blew. Mazda replaced all the trans. valves without issue. Fuel efficiency dropped to 28 MPG. Then at 19,500 Mi. the transmission gave out entirely. Mazda Roadside was quick to response and the dealer has been excellent. Still, I've only had the car 2 yrs. and the entire transmission is now being replaced!? This was a $24K car. To say I'm very disappointed is an under statement. Sadly, I'm now considering trading this in on a more reliable brand once repairs are done.