Used 2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

The love of my life.
By Nicole

2012 Mazda 3 s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first car (I'm 17 years old). I bought it used with 90,000 miles, chips and dings, and a spoiler, all directing to the fact that the person before me had a blast with it. Still, I've had the car for around a year and haven't had a single problem with it. It's not a sports car by any means, but it is very, very quick. It accelerates like a bolt of lightning, takes corners at any speed you'd like without squealing or pulling from the ground, and the steering is taught and responsive. The turning radius is incredibly tight, and the whole car feels extremely aerodynamic and sporty, especially for a pretty normal mid-size sedan. The cargo space is roomy, enough for me to put my cello in the back if I fold one of the back seats down, in addition to a stand, a backpack, and a fold up chair (which is a LOT). My favorite part, however, is the styling. I have the dark grey touring sedan with a spoiler and tinted windows. The sides are subtly curved, the back is rounded beautifully, and the front... Well, I can't put it any other way. It's the happiest car I've ever seen. The great big smile on the front of my car is what made me fall in love with it. I have a jolly sense of humor, so I don't take my car very seriously; If you want your car to look serious, skip on this one, you'll hate it. But if you want to drive the jolliest mid-size sedan in your neighborhood, you'll fall in love with the clever (and puzzlingly controversial) grille shape. The bonus to all of the above is the gas mileage. I have the skyactiv engine which allows me to get around 30-40 mpg (and it's also bright blue). I'm so very proud of my car, and I treat it like a baby. I hope to be driving it for a long time from now.

Only thing lacking is comfort
By Gregg Nice

2012 Mazda 3 s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this car as a dealer demo in December 2012 with 8200 miles on it. Car is almost perfect. Stick shift was smooth and short. Acceleration with the 2.5L engine was more than enough. And the car handled great. Easily the most fun I've ever had driving a car. Also loved the dash. Dual climate control a plus and the AC was ice cold in the S-touring version. Also had buttons in easy to locate places. Never was distracted by needing to look around too much to find a button. Bose sound system is great. Love the exterior and interior looks, clear rear lights and blinkers on the side view mirrors are nice touches. I received lots of compliments on this car. Averaged about 26 MPG combined. Could get 31-32 highway only with No AC, but that's about the best I got. The one big negative......COMFORT. Because it has a sporty suspension you feel every bump. And the front seats are simply not made very well. Also at 6'2 I'm probably an inch or 2 too tall for this particular car. I needed the seat all the way back and the steering wheel just doesn't telescope far enough out for a comfy driving position. Also the seat back adjusters are very cheap. You'll notice the chair takes a while to click in place when adjusting. Within the first month I noticed it was aggravating my back and hips, and unfortunatly I finally had to move on from it last month as the discomfort just became too much for me. However if you are under 6'0 and/or comfort is not a huge deal to you, then I would highly recommend this car. I put about 21k miles on it in the year and a half I had it and never had a single problem. Drove and handled like a dream. And the stick shift was really fun to drive. It's clear Mazda put most of the money under the hood of this car. Which I don't think is a bad thing. Interior doesn't have the greatest materials but I never had a problem with them. If you want a car that's fun to drive that is reliable, safe, and good looking, this is the way to go. If you want a sedan with a smooth ride, look elsewhere.

Great car with minor drawbacks
By Daniel

2012 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

2012 Mazda3 S Grand Touring Hatchback (non-skyactiv) bought new in August 2013 since apparently I'm the only one who values tech and aesthetics over fuel economy, and the vehicle sat almost a year and a half with no buyer before I came along. The good: Great handling, a blast to drive, decent acceleration for a 4 cylinder. Love the look of the Crystal White Pearl Mica with black leather interior, side sill extensions and larger wheels than base model. MPG is very close to what it's rated at 24.6 avg mpg so far, roughly 60-40 city to highway miles. Awesome reliability. On my second Mazda since 2007 and roughly 100k combined miles between the two with absolutely no major issues whatsoever. Love the soft blue interior lighting, and the panning HID headlights which give awesome visibility at night. Like the infotainment system overall with the sat radio, etc., but no backup camera?? Blind spot monitoring works great. Interior space is good, and I like the layout of the controls and the overall aesthetic of the interior. Dual climate control is nice for the girlfriend who tends to like it cooler on her side than I prefer, but the auto feature is annoying. The bad: -Road Noise. Let me say it again: Road Noise. This car is DEAFENING at highway speeds. Forget using your stereo to actually hear your music, you have to yell just so your passengers can hear you. People are constantly telling me it's the loudest vehicle they've ever ridden in, which is ridiculous. If you take a roadtrip in this thing, prepare for a long one because it's exhausting to listen to all day. I find myself slowing down just to lessen the noise for a bit of relief. - I believe the navigation system was sent by God to punish me for my sins. Going from Jackson, MS to Panama City Beach, FL, it tried to send me to New Orleans first, adding a 3-hour detour to my trip. Thankfully I was also using my android phone's nav and recognized what it was doing. It never differentiates between "Bear left" and just a leftward bend in the road. Identifies your exit as you are driving past it. I despise this nav system and rarely use it. - The seats are some of the least comfortable leather seats I've ever sat in, and not great for extended use. - Not a fan of push-button starts and smart keys. Just give me a keyless entry and an actual turn key ignition and I'll be happy. My dash cam interferes with it, so if the camera is running and I get out of the car with the engine running, the vehicle re-scans for the smart key and can't find it, so it beeps at me and flashes its no-key light on the guages until the vehicle is restarted. And if the camera is running, the vehicle will not start. Also, there's no way to go from engine on to accessory mode without shutting the whole system down first. Finally, I hate having things in my pockets so I always take the key out and put it in the console, but since my garage is detached, I'm constantly getting up to my apartment door only to find I've closed the garage door and walked away without my keys. Push-button starts are just a hassle for someone like me. - Visibility isn't great with this huge fat C (or D?) pillar. Backing out of parking spaces is extremely treacherous, especially with no backup camera or sensors. - I also hate auto climate control. On a hot day, it's kicks on at full speed to get the temp down to your selected number ASAP. I don't need to be blown away, I just need cool air blowing on me. Never use auto feature.

Easy to drive. Easy to live with. Worth a look
By D del Rosario

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 09/11 (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

It's been a terrific car with no problems whatsoever. It's funner to drive than your typical civic or Corolla and gets as good if not better fuel economy. I think the design interior and exterior wasn't the most impressive - goofy front end, dash layout while functional not very appealing. But that's easy to live with given the other attributes of the car. Back seat is pretty tight, ride firmer than others but not uncomfortable and quite a bit of road noise. Steering is as good as it gets, impressive for this class. Handles well despite not having the grippiest of tires. Gas mileage is great, acceleration on par with others- patience is a virtue here as I've never driven a car in this class that pushes you into the seat save for a wrx or golf gti among others. I'd certainly consider getting another one of these in the future again and would recommend others to consider.

Body integrity problems
By rustybody

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have a Mazda 3 Sky active with 25000 kilometers on it. The hood has developed numerous small rust spots on it. There are also small areas where the clear coat is peeling off the paint. The color is charcoal gray metallic. The car has been well cared for and is not abused in any way. The fuel economy is good, but not as good as advertised, otherwise love the car.

Car is fun to drive, looks good and handles very well.

Body integrity could be better, even the slightest almost invisible paint chip will result in an almost immediate rust spot start blistering out around the chip.

• SUV