Fun, flexibile little car; great value
By cheddar_brett on
2011 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
This car punches above its price. As I write this, I've had the car for about a year and have but 16K miles on. I wanted a wagon or hatch that was fun to drive. This was cheaper than the alternatives I considered. This car replaced my 2-door 2004 Accord EX V6 coupe, and with 2-kids and a hatch for their stuff and my hobbies, a nice upgrade. A smaller overall car, but bigger on the inside than the Accord. It is great for what I need - commuting (including dropping kids at school), weekend run-about car with the fam, occasional weekend trips, and space for chores and hobbies. It's been a year, and I'm thrilled with this car.
Favorite Features
Driving impressions. This car has great handling, is fun to drive. Braking is good. Acceleration is OK (I have the 2.5L engine) but could be better. Interior. Comfortable. Nicely appointed at a good value (CD changer, leather, sunroof, etc) in the GT configuration. Nice amount of space and flexible inside...good for what I need. The kids get in and out fine, it has room for gear, etc. Exterior. I got a Mazda roof-rack on the car for my bikes. It is great, but makes a lot of road noise.
Suggested Improvements
I think they nailed this in the 2012 model; this car needs better mileage, and it sounds like SKYACTIVE delivers this in 2012 and later models. This car has a fair amount of road-noise too. I added a roof rack, which adds a lot of noise. My wife hates it.