Used 2011 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Fun little car to drive
By heffay6

2011 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

Just bought an i Touring sedan and it is a blast to drive. This car replaces a worn out Cadillac Catera, so I'm expecting much better service than the often broke down Catera. Haven't had it long enough to report on gas mileage, but the acceleration is great for a small 4 cylinder car. Cabin is a bit on the smaller side but we do not anticipate having back seat passengers very often. The fit and finish is very good for a car in this price category. Good job Mazda. The wife and I are enjoying our 3.

Favorite Features

Sportiness. Acceleration. Interior quality.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more cabin space, particularly in the back. Bigger trunk. Automatic headlights.

Bumpy ride in Mazda 3 2011
By 99intrigue1

2011 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

Just (within past two days) leased a 2011 Mazda3 i touring and absolutely hate the ride! I felt every tiny bump in the road....stressful and uncomfortable!! Also noticed handling on turns was odd...not smooth by any means. Looks great and nice features, but going to call dealer and see what my options are.

Nice but not for me.....
By pure_hp

2011 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the Sport hatchback, automatic. I love the bluetooth and the way it drives, lots of fun. Unfortunately, the wheel doesn't telescope out far enough for me without me being on top of the steering wheel, I'm 6'1. Because of this, the window switches are too far up the door handle; I'm constantly letting the rear windows down.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, Bose audio system

Suggested Improvements

All Mazda 2.5L engines are in desperate need of a 6th gear for their automatics to help fuel economy. Sport trim level needs lumbar adjustment/support. One touch up/down for both front windows and one touch open/close for moonroof.

A half-priced Bimmer!
By paublo73

2011 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I am downsizing from a Mazda CX-9 and it could not be any more painless. This car is a blast to drive. I'm amazed how quick it is with the 2.0 motor and automatic. This motor has enough low end torque and the transmission is so well calibrated that it feels eager in all situations. I did test drive the Focus and while it does handle well, the transmission shifted too soon and masked that engine's extra power. I was able to get the 3 at invoice price which was much cheaper than the Focus similarly equipped. The cabin is on the small side but I'm short and the car seats fit, so I consider it "just right". This car is serving as a commuter/2nd car and so far it's exceeded my expectations.

Favorite Features

I love the great handling of this car. All the control responses are just right: tight communcative steering, solid brake feel, and good ergonomics. This car feels more solid than a typical compact car.

Suggested Improvements

The cabin is a little on the cramped side but acceptable for my needs. The interior plastics on the dash could use a bit of an upgrade, but could be worse. The carpet is also on the cheap side.

An excellent, beautiful handling car for the money
By ohioan2

2011 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Two-plus months and 2,900 miles on my Velocity Red hatch and I'm loving it. Fun to drive, handles like a dream and I enjoy my daily commute in comfort and style. Plenty of power when needed, with great torque, on the 2.5. You're giving up some gas mileage, but I'll pay for the trade off. Still averaging 30-32 mph with mix of highway/city driving, much better than my old V-6. It's nice to be crusing in something different and sporty in the sea of Civics and Corollas. Looks aggressive with those 17-inch alloys, side body crease swoop and is ready to prance. Even the smiley grill is growing on me, although the fog lighs and front license plate wipe off some of the smile.

Favorite Features

Love the quality of the seats, nicely bolstered, firm and comfortable in the Sport edition. High quality, soft plastics on door arm rests and dash. Nicely laid out interior, Bluetooth, audio, cruise and trip computer buttons all on sporty, small leather-wrapped steering wheel. Tacked on the 10-speaker Bose sound system -- excellent stock system -- and moonroof and added the Homelink (garage door opener, etc.)auto-dim rearview mirror with compass. Red gauges knockout at night and love the little blue LEDs that illuminate the shift and door controls at night. Surprising amount of room in the hatch and with seats folded near flat, you can carry all but the largest of items. A fun ride.

Suggested Improvements

While overall interior quality is good, the quality of carpeting and headliner a bit disappointing; looks cheap. They must paint these things with water based paints. It seems easily chipped with slightest of pebble hits. Wife's '08 Civic doesn't have a chip on it. Car has Ipod hookup, but no USB. Come on ... Trip computer is black and white while every other gauge in car is red. Looks out of whack, should also be red. Can't turn on fog lights on independently; main headlights must be on. Otherwise, love this car. Lot for the money with overall decent quality. Zoom zoom ...