Used 2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Nice but not for me.....
By pure_hp

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the Sport hatchback, automatic. I love the bluetooth and the way it drives, lots of fun. Unfortunately, the wheel doesn't telescope out far enough for me without me being on top of the steering wheel, I'm 6'1. Because of this, the window switches are too far up the door handle; I'm constantly letting the rear windows down.

Bluetooth, Bose audio system

All Mazda 2.5L engines are in desperate need of a 6th gear for their automatics to help fuel economy. Sport trim level needs lumbar adjustment/support. One touch up/down for both front windows and one touch open/close for moonroof.

An excellent, beautiful handling car for the money
By ohioan2

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Two-plus months and 2,900 miles on my Velocity Red hatch and I'm loving it. Fun to drive, handles like a dream and I enjoy my daily commute in comfort and style. Plenty of power when needed, with great torque, on the 2.5. You're giving up some gas mileage, but I'll pay for the trade off. Still averaging 30-32 mph with mix of highway/city driving, much better than my old V-6. It's nice to be crusing in something different and sporty in the sea of Civics and Corollas. Looks aggressive with those 17-inch alloys, side body crease swoop and is ready to prance. Even the smiley grill is growing on me, although the fog lighs and front license plate wipe off some of the smile.

Love the quality of the seats, nicely bolstered, firm and comfortable in the Sport edition. High quality, soft plastics on door arm rests and dash. Nicely laid out interior, Bluetooth, audio, cruise and trip computer buttons all on sporty, small leather-wrapped steering wheel. Tacked on the 10-speaker Bose sound system -- excellent stock system -- and moonroof and added the Homelink (garage door opener, etc.)auto-dim rearview mirror with compass. Red gauges knockout at night and love the little blue LEDs that illuminate the shift and door controls at night. Surprising amount of room in the hatch and with seats folded near flat, you can carry all but the largest of items. A fun ride.

While overall interior quality is good, the quality of carpeting and headliner a bit disappointing; looks cheap. They must paint these things with water based paints. It seems easily chipped with slightest of pebble hits. Wife's '08 Civic doesn't have a chip on it. Car has Ipod hookup, but no USB. Come on ... Trip computer is black and white while every other gauge in car is red. Looks out of whack, should also be red. Can't turn on fog lights on independently; main headlights must be on. Otherwise, love this car. Lot for the money with overall decent quality. Zoom zoom ...

Great Car for the Money
By darth_flatus

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Bought my 5 door Grand Touring new about a month ago. Absolutely love this car. I consider myself a car "junkie" who loves to drive. I drive about 1,000 miles per month for work, and let me tell you, this car makes it a completely different experience to drive. The handling is great, the 2.5L engine feels like a V6, the seats are comfy...I could go on and on. My friends, family, and neighbors are all intrigued by the look of the car and once they get in and ride in it they walk away impressed. The backseat is a little tight on leg room, but, my kids fit just fine. Averaging 25 MPG do far with mixed but mostly city driving. Good numbers when you consider the power the engine puts out.

There really isn't anything I do not like about this car. My favorite features are the auto climate control, the BOSE stereo, the handling, horsepower, and torque.

I really don't have any. The interior is top notch. The mechanicals are perfect. The only real improvement would be a little more leg room in the second row. As I said earlier, my kids fit just fine. Two adults fit fine as well, but, on a longer trip it might get rough sitting there. That doesn't affect me too much though.

Love This Car
By pradis

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have only owned My Mazda3 for a few days now, and I've never owned one before. My previous car was a 2009 Honda Fit. I thought I was very happy with the Fit, but there is little comparison to the Mazda3. I have the 2.5 liter, S trim package with all the bells and whistles. This car feels like one costing much more. I have heard people complain about road noise, but compared to my Fit, it is very quiet. I got 0% financing too which let me upgrade the tech for the car. Road handling, accelaration, and over-all feel are just excellent in the 3. Gas milage is a bit lower than some expect, but my Fit barely got 30mi on the highway. So pretty comparable, and the Mazda is way more fun!

I chose to pony up extra dollars for the technology package which includes a Bose sound system with 10 speakers and Blue Tooth. After three years of tinny sound from my Fit, I realized that music quality in my car is very important, so this was well worth it. The Bose is actually very nice and the sub woofer in the back (very funky/cool design inside the spare tire) actually works great. I've never had Blue Tooth, and it is fantastic! The car talks to you and I can listen to my iPhone playlists wirelessly which is very neat. I also am smitten with the keyless entry and push button start. All make for a car that is wowing my friends. Comfortable front seats and the materials are solid.

I do think that the back seats need 1-2 inches more space for leg-room. I will definently need to move my seat up for adult passengers which is ok for the few times a year I need that capacity. I have heard fit and finish concerns in other reviews and I'll repost in a few months to add my experiance if it is poor. As I look now however, everything seems very tight and well made. The materials seem very high quality for the price point. It feels so nice to ride in a car that doesn't feel like a tin can. I am also very large (sadly as in fat not tall) and I fit just fine in the car.

Love it and hate it
By iaintdeadyet

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I owned a 2005 3i for 5 years and it fit me like a glove.My 2010 3s 5 door is a much better car,quieter,smoother riding and much faster. Only problem is the economics are out of whack.The power window switches are too far away,(I keep opening the rear window) and the telescoping wheel does not come back far enough with the seat all the way back,I'm 6'2"

Bose surround system is great,but you have to buy the moon roof to get it.

A pillars are huge and interfere with vision especially when making right turn. Front passengers seat back should fold flat for better cargo carrying.