Used 2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Everything is Great, But...
By Mr. Lucas Brice

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I pretty much love everything about this car except for one thing. It's reporting an average of 16.6 mpg in mostly city (suburb) driving, far from the 22 mpg city it's supposed to get, according to the government. I bought it used in 2014. I brought it to the dealer twice and they can't find anything wrong with the car. Yes, I use the AC (I live in CA), but I don't drive like a maniac. I wish I would have bought a 2012 with SkyActiv. It would have cost a little more but I wouldn't weep every time I have to fill up my gas tank. Other things I don't love about the 2011 Mazda 3: 1. It's noisy. 2. The standard stereo doesn't sound great when you're listening to music. 3. It took me a while to get used to driving with the car's blind spot. 4. Closing the hatchback takes more effort than it should.

So far so good.
By mazda4_life

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I got a 2011 Mazda 3 hatchback just last week after doing some initial research into the car. I have owned a 2003 Mazda 6 in the past and my sister has owned a 2004 Mazda 3. The newer features are nice, but I miss the 1 touch drivers window. I don't have GPS and its an auto with 42 K on it.

First new used car, and I love it!
By jugar123

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've bought this car about a month ago and put about 2,000 miles, and let me say, its amazing to drive. It handles the taconic curves like nobodies business. I love the bucket seats, makes the car feel like a sports car. I do have to admit, the back seat is a little tight for tall passengers, but its not a big deal at all. It's a perfect commuter car in my opinion. I average out 28-30, while doing 75-80 with the AC which is amazing. A full tank gets me about 450-500 miles that's mostly highway mileage . Great car.

I love the fact that I get in the car, and my music starts playing with the Bluetooth, its very user friendly. I also love the way the center console slides further out for more comfort while holding the lever

I would improve the transmission a little, I feel if you try to accelerate quickly, it takes a second or two for it to drop a gear.

Bittersweet
By holybull

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I wasn't totally in love with the looks of this car but I do like hatches so I test drove it and fell for it right away. It fit me like a glove. A tailored glove. Handling is the best that could be expected from a front-wheel-drive compact. Engine has 175 HP and plenty of torque. The cosmetics are a different story. Windows rattling after not too long of owning it. Cylinder key lock in steering column replaced twice. And now, as if that weren't enough, I've been told I have a cracked piston ring and the thing is SLURPING oil. Not good for a car with only 51000 miles. Never again do I buy a Mazda. first and last. I'm spending more and getting a mini next.

Handling

Total overhaul.

New clutch at 20k miles
By chris_1

2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I first took my car in to the dealer when I noticed the clutch slipping after I shifted or when I accelerated at freeway speeds. Now, after 16 days, I finally have my 2011 Mazda 3 back with a completely new clutch assembly. Mazda paid 50%, not including the rental car. My final bill: $700 (not including the rental car cost for this time). They replaced not only the clutch disc, but the flywheel and associated bearings and parts. Apparently they consider replacing the clutch at 2 years / 20k miles to be "normal wear and tear" and not under warranty. In my opinion, the fact that it wore out so quickly, in itself, means it was defective.

I have driven a manual car for almost 10 years (previously a Mazda RX-7) without any issues. I do not abuse my car, I do not ride the clutch, and I do not let anyone else drive the car. Mazda would not allow me to speak to anyone with the authority to assist me, specifically the district manager who made the decision. On top of that, the woman I spoke with when I called their customer service line at (800) 222-5500 was not only unhelpful, but flat out rude and confrontational.

After this experience, I plan to trade this car due to the fact that it will need another new clutch at 40k miles of normal driving. Mazda has lost a loyal customer for life with their "guilty until proven innocent" mentality toward warranty claims.