Used 2011 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

I love this car!
By VANESSA DELUNA

2011 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

Drives great. i purchased this car a month ago and I'm very satisfied with it so far. The backseat is a little snug but its no big deal. The sound system is great and I love that the bluetooth automatically connects when i turn on the car.

Terrific car for the money
By Tom Cornwell

2011 Mazda 3 i SV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in 2010 as a graduation gift for my son. He has driven it 68,000 miles in the last 5 years and never had a mechanical issue or problem. He took it in for the 60,000 mile service and the mechanic said the car was in great shape. Tires and oil are the only costs that he has incurred up to this point. He just did a tune up and some other recommended maintenance which ran about 900.00 dollars. For a small 4 cylinder engine it has a lot of get up and go and is great on fuel economy. He and I both would definitely buy another Mazda 3 in the future. The car has a current resale value of 7000.00 at 5 years old and 68K on the odometer and I paid 16K for the car new plus tax. New or used these cars are a great value and fun to drive. The down side is the back seat is small for a sedan. That would be my only complaint.

Still in the honeymoon phase!!
By John Schink

2011 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I came from a Prius. That was a great car. No issues, great fuel economy, easy to drive and moderately fun :). The lease was up and I wanted to find something different. I wasn't shopping for a Mazda; in fact I was looking specifically for a Honda Element or Subaru. The car came to my attention by fate - it seems. I've driven a few other Mazdas after finding this Mazda 3 GT initially, which I ultimately purchased. I drove newer ones with Skyactiv and some older ones. Those were 2L engines and had noisy motors. Some were sport models (base) and some were Touring . This 2.5L in my GT is not like that. It has a soft huskiness to it. The others had interior materials that felt lower quality. This car has it ALL, too. Most bells and whistles you could ever imagine, except for a backup camera (that would be icing on the cake). I got the car as Certified that carries 7 years 100K miles and 1 yr bumper to bumper. I couldn't be happier. The team at Groove Mazda Centennial Colorado, where I got the car, are great people and easy to talk with and in working through a deal.

The thing that first got my attention in driving the car is the nimble steering. I love the responsiveness, tight turns, and ease in which it corners. The motor is the strongest, but it is fun when it pulls you up to speed. The leather seats are snug and keep you in place. The moon roof is quiet and perfect on most any day to have cracked open. There is some road noise that you won't hear in a Mazda 6, but it's not off the chart by any means. The leg room in the back is less than the Prius I had, which was pretty roomy. Larger adults will bump their knees. The ride has firm suspension and makes it feel more sporty.

It's a Consumer Reports top rated car. For me, this car is fun for an A to B drive, getting kids to their games, running errands, hopping between cities in Colorado. We may take it cross country in the summer - we'll see :) I see why Mazda coined "zoom zoom"

Awesome First Car...Zippy Driving:)
By Josiah Klossner

2011 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

This car is the first one I have owned and I actually like it a ton! It's light on it's feet and fun to whip around corners. I often describe it as zippy! The acceleration is really only okay since I have the 148hp 2 liter engine (it goes from zero to 60 in about 8.7 seconds). That being said, it's a heck of a lot better than some of the cars my friends drive that are older and under powered. I always say that the great thing about having a car that isn't too powerful is that you can slam on the gas and hear the engine roar for a bit without going to much above the speed limit and thus receiving a speeding ticket. Overall though, I can't complain about acceleration, it doesn't take that much effort on the pedal to perform normal highway and thruway driving.The steering feel is my favorite part as it is responsive and engaging. In the winter, as long as I drive like a grandma on snowy roads I'm good! Tokyo drifting is sometimes fun though! However, steep driveways aren't fun. To be fair though, I have all seasons and haven't put forth the $$$ to invest in winter tires.

As far as the interior goes, it definitely seems to have a better quality to it than other compact cars that I've been in of it's generation. The dash has a softer feel and the body panels on the doors seem to be in there pretty tight! Some of the door panels in the back feel a bit cheap, but they are of sound construction which is all I care about since I spend all my time in the drivers seat! My only real gripe is that a small bit of the dashboard above the radio/time display has managed to detach itself from the top of the display, leaving a small gap there. It's easy enough to ignore, but it's still a tad annoying. Other than that, the seats in the front do a good job of holding you in and making you feel comfortable! I can't quite say the same for the rear seats, leg room is rather tight and if you're fully loaded with passengers in the back, woe to the poor chap who is in the middle as there is a significant hump on the floor. The trunk is sufficient for me, a single college student, and it usually holds my stuff for most trips. If I'm driving two people on a trip though, I usually have to use the back seat as well (not everyone packs as light as me either).

As far as fuel economy goes...it could be better. Considering fuel economy scores of other compact sedans of my car's generation, this one isn't really too fantastic, but it ain't bad either! As a poor college student I don't mind the loss of a few mpg, it makes up for that with its driving dynamics. I probably average 28-29 mpg in the summer. That drops to about 23-25mpg in the winter (although it's January and I got 27mpg on my last fill-up). again, I really can't complain considering the fuel economy of some of my friends under powered rides...hehe!

As far as repairs go, I've had tie rods replaced three times!!!! THREE! I got the left outer one replaced for my inspection in 2014, my inner left one replaced for the 2015 inspection, and I got my inner right one replaced this past December (2015). I'm currently bracing my bank account for the outer right tie rod come next inspection! Other than that, I had my rotors replaced for my first inspection in 2013, and new brake pads. Other than that, it's just been regular maintenance. Although there are some other problems due to the previous owner to whom I want to walk up to someday and say....YOU FOOL!! Seeing as most people haven't had any issues with tie rods on their Mazda3, it looks like it's a wonderful model as a whole for reliability! there are some possibilities for why my tie rods keep needing replacement. 1. my mechanic is a horrible person, 2. I go around corners like a maniac too often, or 3. I got a lemon Mazda3 with sucky tie rods.

So overall, it is a wonderful, fun to drive, economy car! I don't regret getting one and despite its flaws in my particular circumstances, I really really like it! If you're looking for a used economy car that's cost effective and this model is one of them and you like cars that aren't boring to drive....don't second guess yourself! That was totally a run-on sentence.

Sporty and Dependable sedan!
By Nadine O.

2011 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost 3 years now, I bought it certified-previously owned at a Mazda Dealership in Saratoga Springs, NY. I've driven it from New York to Arizona, from Arizona to New Mexico (Several times), from Arizona to Utah (Several times), From Utah to Nevada. I currently live in Salt Lake City. I've put several thousand miles on my car since I got it. I started with 30,000 and I am now at 80,000. It has been a phenomenal experience to say the least. Not only is this car reliable, but it's very sleek. I have the 2011 Mazda 3 i Touring, silver with a spoiler. I'm 4'11", so the car seems very spacious to me. My husband is 6' and fits okay, in my car. His head can touch the ceiling (with ease), but even he has taken road trips with me and has grown to love this little car. My father-in-law has a Mazda as well, he has the Mazda 6 because he couldn't quite fit in the Mazda 3 model very well (he's about 6'4" and disabled).
One of the greatest things about this car, in my opinion is the reliability. Out of all the usage I've put it through, I have not had to repair anything but the tires. I found this impressive, especially since it's a previously owned car. It's been wonderful to me. I love that I can trust it in the snow, rain, etc. I love the headlight features that turn with the steering wheel and I love that my tires will seemingly "autocorrect" themselves when I'm slipping. It's a wonderful vehicle. I sure love it and I plan to keep it until it completely breaks.
The only upgrade I can see myself doing is possibly getting a bigger vehicle when my husband and I decide to have children, but even then, I have transported little ones in the back. Little snug, but still very spacious for the size and abilities of the car. Needless to say, I love this car!