Good car with a couple of minor issues....
By ddau on
2010 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
I have owned my 2010 Mazda 3 Gran Touring 2.5L 6 speed since October of 2010. I recently hit 30K miles on it. It does have some minor workmanship issues. When it's cold, the instrument cluster rattles (which stinks if you have OCD). The front left speaker needs to be replaced. And now the front rotors are warped. The dealership told me over the phone this morning that in Colorado, warped brakes are a common problem, but they aren't going to do anything about it because it's wear and tear. Funny, I haven't had any "common" brake warping problems in my other cars I own, especially at 30K miles. Its a decent vehicle, but I have been reading up on the Dodge Dart.... just sayin'.
Favorite Features
I average 29-30 mpg with the 2.5 liter. I am light on the gas and usually skip gears in normal traffic which helps. When my wife drives it, she gets 25-26 mpg. Hmmm..... Interior is comfortable and the seat bolsters keep you in the seat nicely. It does have a lot of options and good bang for the buck. The only option I didn't get was the sunroof and the GPS. The GPS is a 3.5" screen at the top of the center stack far away from the driver which seemed useless. Radio controls on the wheel work good since I am taller and need to keep the seat back a little farther and would have to lean forward to change stations. Overall good power.
Suggested Improvements
Stock tires turned into baloney skins at 20K. Replaced tires with Sailun Atrezzo all seasons and have had no problems with them and they were decent in the snow. I have read numerous blogs about premature clutch problems, which has me worried, but I guess I am going to have to wait and see. Some of the interior plastic rattles which can get annoying. Back seat is a little small, especially since I have keep the seat back. My 5 year old keeps kicking the back of my seat since she is not tall enough to have her knees bend at the seat edge.