Used 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Definitely the best bang for the buck!
By johnnyBgoode

2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This is my 4th Mazda that I have purchased. I owned '89 Mazda 626, a '09 Mazdaspeed 3, '08 MX-5, and now this '10 Mazda 3 GT Hatch. It's a great car with good MPG. The features of this car in it's segment absolutely blow the competition away. Trust me you won't be disappointed in what this car offers. It's very quiet inside the cabin and the engine is smooth and quiet as well. The features are insane! My car has: adaptive front lighting, fog lights, 6 spd manual transmission, 6 disc Bose audio system with 10 speakers, moonroof, bluetooth, leather seats, heated front seats, LED tail lights, automatic bi-xenon headlight, and many more too list. Truly the best bang for the buck!

Favorite Features

Hands-free Bluetooth, 6 speed manual transmission, Bose audio, leather seats, trunk space, quiet cabin, decent gas mileage, LED tail lights, automatic headlights with auto adjust, power seat with memory

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer clutch, better braking, just a little bit more interior room. These are not deal breakers, just something they can work on, on the 3rd generation Mazda 3.

Fun to drive, but a real fuel hog!
By Michael

2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my Mazda3 in Dec 2009, but ended up selling it just 6 months later. While the Mazda3 was absolutely a blast to drive, I never did fall in love with the goofy "smile" on the front end. The seats were tight and uncomfortable for any trip more than 20 minutes, and the interior styling was just too much black. But the kicker was the terrible fuel economy: I averaged just 25 mpg after putting 12,000 miles on the car. I sold the Mazda and got a Civic. Yeah, the Mazda was far more powerful, but the Civic gets 37 mpg on average, is more comfortable and is overall a wiser choice. Shame on Mazda for poor gas mileage!

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, integrated bluetooth, hatchback has tons of storage space, nice steering wheel mounted controls. Overall quite fun to drive and a decent value for the money.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are extremely uncomfortable. I'm 6', 200 lbs and I find them far too narrow for me. The interior is all black - too dark for my tastes, but some might like the look. Improve the fuel economy. For a compact car in 2010, this thing chews through gasoline like nobody's business!

How is a car this cheap this good
By Will W

2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have had six - yes, six - Mazda 3s. All were manuals. Four were 3i and two 3s. 5 sedans and now this 2010 3s hatchback. There are not enough superlatives to describe how this car drives. Not a better manual tranny/clutch combo on the planet for cars under 40 grand. Definitely, the best car for the buck I've run into in my lifetime and I'm 62. One can only remark: "How can a car this good be so cheap." Buy this car for the suspension, the tranny, the clutch, the brakes, the steering, the handling, the cornering and to heck with everything else - it doesn't matter. that's enough! All one need do is upgrade the tires and you have an econo-box supercar.

Favorite Features

Suspension, the precise steering response, the dream manual/clutch combo, the brakes - everything about how the car drives and performs.

Suggested Improvements

Go to the blue/red dash instrumentation colors of Volkswagen and get rid of the harsh red-orange dash lights. Do some styling work on the fog light housing area to make it smaller and more compact, absent much of the black, plastic grill above the fog lights.

No Regrets!
By MikeyMike

2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I haven't had one regret on this purchase since day 1. I've owned 7 cars and excluding my 1970 Triumph, this is the most fun car I've ever driven. The handling, comfort and features all fit my driving style perfectly. I can take off-ramps at speeds that scare my wife, take off when I need to move quick, idle quietly at red lights, etc. I'm not quite hitting the EPA mileage, but I drive hard and I get about 22-25 city depending on how rough I run it. Only quality issue I have is the cover to my GPS memory card on the dash broke and fell off on it's own. They replaced it free, but annoying to deal with. And for those that don't like the "smile" grill, I love it!

Favorite Features

Love the handling! Got the tech package and really loving the advanced key system, push button start, and the little navi screen (turns out to be a good size). Had an SUV before, so I'm getting used to the low profile tires (hello curb rash!) Oh, and heated seats are AWESOME in winter.

Suggested Improvements

Two main complaints (petty I know), 1. There's no engine oil temp guage on the dash (I have the auto climate control) How will I know when I'm running hotter than usual but not yet over heating? Also, for $1700 the TECH package should have the dimming rear view mirror. MPG's don't compare to others

Love this car!
By gman

2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This by far has been the best drive I have ever had. Just got out of a 2009 Acura TSX, and could not wait to get out of it. Mazda 3s is by far a better ride, and $10k less. This car rocks and even with less power then the TSX, the handling compensates. I have only driven the car for two days, but already love it. I hear people complaining about road noise, I don't hear it, all I hear is the fine tone of the exhaust. In The TSX, I could hear the engine noise, by far worst then anything I hear with the Mazda 3. I will never look at any of the other competitors in this segment, don't see how they will be able to compete.... This might be the best car ever built for the money....

Favorite Features

Controls for the Nav on the wheel, how awesome. Power that it delivers, out of a I4 2.5, and the response on the road. I have had a lot of high end cars and this car can hang with all of them in some way....

Suggested Improvements

Could have beter tires, and also a little more leg room in the back...