Used 2010 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 324 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

2010 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

2010 Mazda 3 Sedan. Beware of Transmission!
By SYD

2010 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

For the price and class of car, we had been pretty satisfied overall with our 2010 Mazda 3, 2.5L automatic Sport Sedan. It really is zippy..zoom zoom. It was always on the noisy side, but that wasn't a big deal. Why my family and I are breaking up with Mazda...after only 5-6 years, 95,000 miles, the transmission failed. Most cars are lasting well past 140,000 miles before having any serious problems. And if you are wondering, Yes, we followed Mazda's advised servicing/maintenance. As a comparison/data point, I had a 1997 Honda Accord with 165,000 miles that never had a transmission problem or any other significant problem, which we replaced in 2010 for the Mazda 3... We enjoyed the 5-6 years, but paying $3000 - $4000 to replace a transmission after such a short time is completely unacceptable. I do not consider this reliable. So, now we are faced with either buying a new car, or paying for the repair...either way, we are out a lot of money... And i called Mazda Customer Service...they were very polite about letting me know that I would receive NO support from them. We won't be buying a Mazda for a very long time.

Love my car
By DJ

2010 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I am the original and only owner of this car, which I bought in the summer of 2010. I wanted a car that was somewhat "pimped out" (reference to the MTV show, Pimp My Ride) from the factory and was fun to drive without being priced higher than the middle $20K. After looking at and test driving various sporty (and affordable) cars, the Mazda's interior, handling, reliability record, and it being fun to drive won me over. I use the car mostly to commute to and from work and it makes the commute much more enjoyable than when I was driving my previous car (Honda Civic). My Mazda handles well; has a tight turning radius that makes it easy to park (or do a U-turn); can more than handle two bags of golf clubs, two backpacks, and two large suitcases (when a rear seat is down); has really comfortable seats and reliable bluetooth; and gives me good feedback regarding my average miles per gallon. My maintenance costs have been great. I am shorter than average and the driver's seat easily adjusts for me as well as my husband who is average height.

Sticky and Clutchless
By Tony Door

2010 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

The dash melted last year and of course it was out of warranty. Fortunately, the dealer agreed to cover the cost of the part while I had to pay the labor ($302). Yesterday I had to take the car in for a complete clutch replacement, also out of warranty, for an amount of $1600. I've learned that the replacement clutch is a redesigned assembly, most certainly as a result of a flawed original design. What other stock vehicle needs a clutch replacement at 34k miles?

5 Year Realization!
By Tdsftdsf@comcast.net

2010 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

After driving this car for five years and breaking it in from new it's been all around great , handling , reliability , everything -the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder atkinsons cycle engine was at is peak of engineering perfection after being the base engine in the Mazda 6 and the Mazda 5 van ..then retuned for more power to replace the Mazda 3s 2.3 while Mazda was undergoing a reinassance building the skyactive during 2009-2012 . So this body was only made ( the hb ) for 1.5 years and in my opinion the most beautiful cars ever Built )( one of them ) . So I have had previous reviews and maintained it like a first born and at 90k it runs like a scared animal at 80mph I can't hear the engine nor at idle its balanced like an omega . What I found as others have too was gas mileage is bad , in town especially ....but I finally realized why . This car has the tallest, sweetest electronic automatic gearbox I have ever driven , on the freeway it rolls effortlessly up too 100 and not even breathing under 3k rpms ?? I thought over the years when on the proper roads how this USA car made in Japan could be geared do damn tall ? Well the final drive on the GT hatchback 2.5 is and was made for. Europe ? After research .so I usually don't pay much attention to the mpg meter while driving until I saw an episode of Top Gear - where they drive three different cars across Europe on limited gas and on one it was a BMW it got bad mileage at 65-70 mph but at 80-100 it hit 10+ more mpg ????? How ...well gearing , the engines sweet spot fir efficiency and the aerodynamics working better at higher speeds ....so I checked my Mazda ....at 65-70 my mpg was 24-27 I hit 90 and stick it and it's reading 34 ? I hit 100 and I'm getting 36 ? Thus car was designed to roll at 100 and it feels comfortable here ...the next trip planning took me to la ...I went at night Down the 5 - staying as much over 80'as often as possible after 300 miles I had gleaned 35 mpg . Never ever got this mileage before .....this is geared , built and drag tested .29 dc to break through it s efficiency barrier over 75 mph ......pity I don't live in Germany ...no wonder I found keeping up with Porsches etc was effortless ? Amazing ...if you have an auto hb 2010-2011 Mazda 3 2.5 , try it .safely

BRONZE IT !
By tdsftdsf@comcast.net

2010 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Yes - I have just rolled over 85K miles on my 2010 GT hatchback 2.5 and its 2015 which means Skyactive has been out since 2012. Regardless I am so happy with the overall performance and reliability of this car that I still cant conceive of trading up to the 2015-16 Mazda3 GT Skyactive 2.5 . Don't get me wrong if I didn't have this car already NOTHING on the market can touch the Mazda3 Skyactive and Subaru, Honda, Toyota and Nissan have been buried so far under the dung heap that people are only trying to overcome the Mazdas perfection by comparing it to BMW and MBZ etc. cars at twice the price, three times the cost to maintain and far less reliable . So that said My 2010 Atkinson Cycle mazda 3 is now running like a scared animal , I did an oil change at 80K and after that one it rolls down the 280 towards Palo Alto at 80 doing 2700 rpms in what I consider to be the tallest 5th gear in an automatic 4cylinder I have ever experienced? Its amazing as the 280 is know as the silicon Valley 500 because of all the rich kids in the dot com business that have loads of $$$ and typically speed on this 6 lane autobahn from San Francisco to Palo Alto in their Ferraris, Lambos and Porsches at speeds upwards of 100+ regularly. Well when these "supercars" pull up and see a Mazda they take the opportunity to take what looks like an easy kill and run with it ...most are rather surprised ..needless to say