Best I could do to replace Acura Integra
By mhouse on
2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)
After owning Integra for 17.8 years, finally found something to replace it with. Nice size for one person, nice luxury features. Not as fun to drive as Integra but handles just as well, even better on fast curves, like it's on rails. Quietness masks real acceleration compared to Integra which was "throatier". A lot has changed in cars since 1991 so I'm still getting used to things like position of steering wheel (further away), thickness of steering column (limits leg room), the explosion of new technology, and in my case, four doors. Bose stereo is good but I do have to have the volume way up to level 40+ hear details (deaf in one ear so this may be me not the car). Mileage in upper 20s.
Favorite Features
Handling is excellent. Feels like a luxury vehicle. Interior lighting and dash illumination are great. Xenon and auto windshield wipers are cool. Exterior styling is aggressive. Can't wait to go on extended trip and see how car handles desert summers (Integra loved heat, hope this car does too).
Suggested Improvements
Puzzling CVT seems to be guessing. Not as good road feel as Integra. Hatchback needs auto release. Hatchback latch is too low (strains back). Carpeting could be better. More interior color options (only black?). Gas cap on passenger (wrong) side. Removed rear headrests to get better visibility.
By mhouse1
on 06/04/12 12:32 PM (PDT)

After 3.5 years, I LOVE my car. Don't know what I meant by CVT above, but it was a reference to the automatic shifting of gears which doesn't seem as certain as it was in the Integra. Wish plastic and exterior paint was better quality (easily scratched) but vehicle performance is outstanding. With 60% highway driving, I'm getting 29.7 mpg over the entire 36,000 miles I've driven. Highly recommended car.