Used 2009 Mazda Mazda3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda Mazda3

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Love it!
By chickie

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a 95 Mazda Protege for 13 years before getting my Mazda 3. I am really enjoying this new car. Looks nice and I receive many compliments on it. Rides wonderful and handles wonderful....sporty feel. My hubby remarked how comfortable the front passenger seat is, and he's a big guy. Love the stereo system. Only thing it needs improvement on is gas mileage. Could also use a little more room in back seat. Don't know what the reliability will turn out to be, but gave it a high score based on my 95 Protege. Test drove 5 cars in its class, and this one, by far, was the best. Some felt junky, cheap interiors, handled lousy, or too expensive. This one is best value for the money.

Favorite Features

comfort, sporty handling, CD system, style, nice interior...not cheap like other cars in its class.

Suggested Improvements

improve on gas mileage; little more room in back seat; add the seat height adjustment even on base model.

Okay Car, Not Built as well as Protege.
By John

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Owned previous vehicle(Oldsmobile)7 years, owned this vehicle only 6 months. Purchased because we were very happy with our 2003 Mazda Protege. Interior quality lacking relative to Protege. Plastic scuffs easily and rear seat fabric fraying after only 2,000 miles and 3 months. Fuel tank holds 14.5 gallons. Reads 3/4 full after 2 gallons used and 1/2 full after 5 gallons used. Road noise evident. Extremely small trunk relative to competition and other Mazda. As a conservative driver highway mpg is great at 35 mpg, but local mpg at times in low 20's. Audio system subpar relative to other Mazda. A/C does not blow very cold compared to older Mazda. Dealer service was terrible on issues.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Sharp to look at.

Suggested Improvements

Very small trunk. Increase size relative to competition. Not good for family travel. Road noise, you hear any grit and dirt on road. Audio system subpar. Rear speakers should be placed near rear window instead of on rear doors for better sound. Interior material quality lacking. Air conditioning.

poor miles per gallon
By girvin

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

just got a 09 mazda3 for my wife i love the design and the dash lights are cool the only thing that i really dont like is the miles per gallon it gets it only has 1100 miles on it not sure if these have a break in period or not other than that its a great car

Favorite Features

the back lights for the guages the headlights and taillights are awsome

Suggested Improvements

better miles per gallon need a restyled grille for 2010 it looks a little silly

My New Mazda 3 Sport 5 Door
By Andy

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a Mazda 3 5 Door Sport after leasing a Honda Accord for the past three years. This car is GREAT! I had a couple friends recommend it and after the test drive I knew it was the car for me. It's got great styling, good fuel economy, and is fun to drive. The Sport version is loaded with a ton of standard features that were upgrades on other cars I looked at. The 2.3L engine has plenty of power both off the line as well as to get up and go on the highway. I went for the automatic (for my wife) but the manual shift option performs very similar to a manual transmission, giving you a little more control. All-in-all I am fully satisfied and would recommend this car!!

Favorite Features

Tons of storage with fold down seats, 17" Allow Wheels, iPod jack, sporty styling, sport tuned suspension, good fuel economy, great interior styling, FUN TO DRIVE.

Suggested Improvements

Even thought the fuel economy is good, it could use a slightly larger gas tank. I average 325-350 and got just over 400 in my Accord. No other complaints ;)

2 thumbs up
By Mike

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Great car overall. Have both a 06 mazda 6 and this 09 mazda 3. although the interior is a bit inferior of that of the 6, the 3 is very well built and has seamless lines. The 2.0 litre is very peppy and I imagine the 2.3 would only be better, as my 6 has a 2.3. This 3 has very tight steering and has been successful to living up to mazdas' zoom zoom motto. Excellent exterior as well, much better at turning heads than a civic and corolla in my opinion. Mileage is decent, although the civic may get a few more miles/ gallon (possibly 5 or so). Overall a great car for people who like to drive. Definitely recommended!!!

Favorite Features

Exterior, peppy engine, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Softer materials in the interior.