2009 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Great dynamics, so-so build quality
By Chris on 12/16/08 22:42 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The driving dynamics of the car are hard to beat. Snappy transmission, soft clutch, responsive steering, linear brakes, and agile suspension. The engine power is adequate, but well matched to the car. The interior is well appointed with leather seating, heated seats, moon roof, premium stereo (which is decent, but not great), and HID headlights. The materials feel of high grade, and the design is sharp. The only gaff is the crammed info LCD. The build quality leaves something to be desired. The interior looks fine and the gaps are minimal, but after only 400 miles, I've already got a ridiculous windshield rattle (ticking might be more apt) and buzz in the headliner near the moonroof.

Pretty nice
By JOHN M on 12/10/08 12:06 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is our first foreign car and she's not too bad. We bought the Mazda 3 i Touring edition. You see we drive a 2002 Vette and a 05 Tahoe so we are used to V8s. We looked all over and went through all the motions in comparing the Civic, Nissa Altima, Cobalt, G5 and G6 and the Mazda 3. In the end we decided that the Mazda 3 looked the best and the gas mileage was nearly as good or better than the others. We like the ride, sporty feel and its pretty comfortable. We also bought the version with the Goodyear tires instead of the Toyo for the winter time. I'm a bit disappointed with the mpg so far around 26 but I hear they need to break in so we will see.

Good value
By Ben on 12/04/08 08:33 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car and immediately went on a road trip. Handled well, many creature comforts for a car in this price point. MP3 Jack in center console is awesome. Glove box is huge. Average 33 mpg on hwy. Road noise is excessive and suspension is stiff, but sporty.

An amazing car at an amazing price
By Biz on 12/02/08 11:14 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The '09 Mazda3 Hatchback is a blast to drive. It's quick and gets pretty good gas mileage. I had a VW Rabbit. I am sure Mazda3 is much better, with an easier 5-speed shiftable automatic transmission to work with. This car begs to go fast.

Zoomin' on Oah'u
By Zoomin' in Makakilo on 11/28/08 23:36 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I recently purchased my Mazda3 (5 dr hatch, 5 spd auto - Copper Red Mica) within the last month, after I checked out comparable models like the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic and determined they didn't compare. In my personal opinion neither were anywhere near the Mazda3 in quality of build, handling, response and overall driving satisfaction (definite zoom-zoom factor). The car seems like its rarin' to go right now but I want to ease into it and not push it too early. I am getting great mileage so far, especially with gas the way it is, and am very pleased overall. If you're looking for a great compact car with a lot to give - the Mazda3 is the "Ticket".

Great looks and good handling
By Nadeem on 11/24/08 15:37 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car two weeks ago and have already put 600 miles on it. It's just so fun to drive. Even though I deprived myself of a manual transmission (it can be a pain on hills), the automatic transmission provides a fun acceleration. Very strongly built, I had someone bump into me (on the THIRD DAY of purchase!!) but thankfully not even a scratch on the rear bumper! The leather interior rivals my friend's BMW 3 Series, and the Bose System is very powerful. However, plugging in both my iPod aux cable and power cable at the same time gives minor buzzing sound (probably something wrong my cable).

Sporty Looks and a Quality Drive
By tippsy12 on 11/07/08 13:49 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I bought the 3i Touring Value Edition in Galaxy Grey Color and paid 16489 before taxes and tags. The engine is very upbeat and peppy. Pretty good acceleration for only the 2.0L engine but I think its helped by a manual transmission. It handles very well with a tight wheel that is very quick to respond. I've been getting about 35 mpg on the highway. Gearbox is very smooth. Although on very steep hills there could be a little more torque in 2nd gear. The TVE upgrade comes with 17" alloy rims which are great looking. Ride is a little on the louder side, but feels like a sports car. Bottom line is great buy for the price.

Mazda3 Touring Value Manual 5 speed
By Ronald in Virginia on 10/27/08 13:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought it. Already put fifty miles on it. I got the manual because it gets better mpg than the auto. I narrowed it down to a Malibu and a Corolla Sport and for the money this is a much better car. I test drove a loaded Corolla Sport and figured the Mazda3 was going to be too small for me but I was wrong and it is a blast to drive! I got the six speaker six CD disc that would cost an extra grand with the Corolla and this car has ABS and traction control. I recommend this car to anyone.

Best new car value
By norcalsurfer on 10/17/08 11:23 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car last week and have put 600 miles on it. The 17" wheels and independent front and rear suspension provide unsurpassed handling for a car in this price range. The 156 hp engine provides adequate power and acceleration. The 5 spd manual gear box is smooth and predictable, seats are firm and supportive while still being very comfortable. Smooth and straight on the highway at 80 mph. The car gets a little sketchy when manuevering through the twistys on uneven pavement. The stock goodyear tires are hard and noisy, but provide adequate grip on dry roads. Braking is superb and this is one super fun car to drive for under $17k.

Fantastic car and a blast to drive!
By MJ on 10/13/08 17:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my 2009 Mazda 3 S-Touring for just 3 wks. and a little over 1,000 miles, but so far, I love this car! I commute 50-miles per day roundtrip to work and traded in a 2004 Ford Ranger for the Mazda 3 in order to save gas money. So far, the car is averaging 29.5 mpg, and on the highway trip home from the dealership, the first tank of gas got 33.5 mpg, which is outstanding. The car is a blast to drive, especially on country back roads with a lot of turns. The exterior is very sporty compared to all the other economy cars. The interior appears very upscale and the seats are quite comfortable. Stereo system is also great & auxiliary jack for iPod is very handy. Great acceleration w/ 2.3L.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda3 in VA is:

$127 per month*