2009 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
2009 mazda3 2.0L 5spd
By joey on 05/02/09 06:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It seems to be a great little car. I purchased it because its a bargain. I won't mention what I paid for it, but I will say it was more than $2,000 less than the corolla, and the cobalt. Interior and exterior are better looking than the aforementioned vehicles. The gas mileage could be better.

I love this sporty little car!
By david on 04/28/09 14:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a 50 year old driver and have owned several cars for 12+ years so I was looking for a practical & reliable car. Boring right? Well, the Mazda 3i is all about practical & reliable...but the cool factor is off the chart too. I compared sevaral cars in the class for the following features: independent suspension & abs disk brakes on all 4 wheels, twin cam 4 cylinder, alloys, 4 doors, timing chain (not belt), cruise, curtain airbags, nice sounding sound system. I got all this and lots more at a much better price than I thought possible with the 3i value package. The 3 is assembled in japan which, in my experience, means very high quality. This car rocks.

Part III of My Reviews
By Fun2Driver on 04/20/09 11:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I decided to write a PartIII to my reviews. PartI compares Maz3 to 2 major competitors. PartII adds more details on Maz3. PartIII will add more comments and answer two critical questions for buyers/owners. Handling is the selling point of Maz3. But on center feel is not as good as German cars. Above 70mph, you better hold onto the steeling wheel tight. The P205/50VR17 stock tires provides adequate grip. But wider tires with directional patterns will sure improve traction more. Understeer is presented in high speed. DSC is not available unless you have the touring model. Zig-zag shifter needs get used to for straight shifter users. Trunk design can be simplified to yield more usable space.

Additional Comments to My Last Review
By Fun2Driver on 04/20/09 00:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

More comments here of Mazda3 for buyers/owners to note. Again this is a great car, simply the best in class. Few improvements here but all are minor. Exterior styling is great. Head lights should be pointed slightly higher. On downhills, the lights fall a bit short. The red tail lights are a bit dim and small. Should be brighter for safety reason. Though the bumper reflective tapes help a bit. For s model, you get black plastic in real bumper. But it's more scratch resistant, good when loading cargo. Real bumper does flex a bit.

Maza wasn't even on my radar screen
By Gulf Coast Florida on 04/18/09 17:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I test drove a 2009 Corolla and Honda Civic and this Mazda 3 offered more of what I wanted than either of those cars. The gauges are easy to read, the buttons make sense on the dashboard. The Honda Civic has a tachometer as big as a pie plate behind the steering wheel taking up a sizable portion of the dash. Maybe that is great if you are a 16 year old boy, but as a middle aged female I didn't like it and I thought it was a stupid design placement. The Mazda, on the other hand, is user friendly in terms of the interior and had more personality on the exterior than Corolla or Civic. I got a great (GREAT!) deal on my car and I may be a Mazda fan for life now.

I love the 09 i touring value!!
By Sonny on 04/17/09 12:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

There is no better looking car in this class, or more fun. The engine, even at 2.0, is peppy, fast and ready to go. I love how sporty it is, both outside and inside. Lots of headroom for a car this size. Feels and handles like a BMW 3 series, but you are paying $10-$15K cheaper! Its sporty and fast enough and yet, it still gets good gas mileage. Between city and highway, I averaged 29- 31/gal. and the stereo which comes with the i touring sounds really good, nice acoustic and full bass. I am 6'1 and I bump my head when getting into a BMW 3 series, but no problem at all with the Mazda 3. Its tight, its firm, and feel you are in control all the time. Its just an awesome car all around!

Excellent Car!
By Fun2Driver on 04/13/09 22:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

My last car was a VW Golf. It served me well for 10+ years. It was a fun-to-drive machine, but quite costly to maintain, especially with age. So I decided it's time for a new car. I test drove 3 hot hatches: new Toyota Matrix (158hp/4cyl); VW Rabbit (170hp/5cyl); Mazda3 5dr (156hp/4cyl). Here's my little comparo. 3rd place, Matrix. Highs: big cargo room, Toyota reliability. Lows: Mazda3 copy cat, dull handling, peculiar styling, high price (23k for XRS), poor corner visibility due to large A pillar. 2nd place, VW Rabbit. Highs: big engine, VW fun, quality interior. Lows: uncomfortable seat (angled too much), confusing controls, strange "wall" under windshield, questionable reliability.

Fun to drive but mileage suffers
By TheAsianRacer on 04/12/09 22:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Previous to this, I had a Mazda Protege5 and that was fun and I had gotten great gas mileage regardless of how I drove it. Recently I got a Mazda 3s and it is fun to drive but my protege was more fun. The biggest issue I have with it is yes, we get more performance but your gas mileage suffers greatly depending on how you drive. My style of driving has been the same and yet I'm getting just barely 22 mpg around town and if I'm lucky I'll get 28 on the highway. The car is a blast to drive but the 16in rims and tires make the car feel less responsive but otherwise it's a great car.

Civic Who?
By Phillie86 on 04/04/09 10:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Honestly, best looking interior car in its class - Civic has nothing on this. Exterior is very stylish. 2.3 could do better on fuel economy, but it's still much better than a 6 cylinder. This the best car for bang-for-your-buck. You get so much - safety options, toys and gadgets and styling all in a very reliable lil car.

Great Car for the money
By mazdantech5 on 03/25/09 14:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Being a honda and toyota guy for many years. I have finally step foot inside a Mazda dealership to check out the final year release of the 2009 Mazda 3 hatchback. Hey ,they are practically giving these away right now & with 0% APR. I like the styling , boy racer look thats me. I couldn't understand why I have bought and sold my previous 08 4 door civic si and 09 corolla s within 6 months time, their styling was not really my cup of tea. I quickly got tired of the 6 speed manual and ridiculous righ revs on the honda and the boring ho/hum corolla styling, and its slow/weak acceleration. Mazda did a great job with the exterior and interior styling. I added the 18"mazdaspeed wheels and I am done

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda3 in VA is:

$126 per month*