Used 2009 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

My Mazda 3 Experience
By lbb4

2009 Mazda 3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a Mazda 3 for 2 years now. I can't complain much because it has been a reliable car. It is definitely NOT a family car but when we bought it we jumped quick because our other car was dying. The air conditioner is very sub-par, heat is good. Drives good, Interior is made fairly cheap as we have had several things break. Overall good car-I would recommend this car for a single person or a couple with no kids.

Favorite Features

Gas saver Fog Lights Sporty look

Suggested Improvements

Build bumpers out of something other than plastic Upgrade quality of interior All of these need sunroofs

Poor gas mileage
By mmmm1982

2009 Mazda 3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for almost 2 years and haven't had any major issues so far. All the maintenance is done regularly, but the car still gets only 24-25 MPG in the mixed cycle. I guess all of Mazda3 have this issue with the power steering pump, which I had to replace under recall. Interior looks kinda cheap.

Favorite Features

sporty looks, 17' alloy wheels

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage is terrible for a 4 cylinder

Love My 3
By dark_temp

2009 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 3 last summer at 13k miles and have loved it since. it handles very well even at over 100+ mph, with previous racing experience and looking for a practical college car I found my baby. attractive enough to get compliments from others and with the 2.0 I, engine speeds up considerately enough to drive on the freeway with confidence (better torque and pick up with the 2.3 engines though, take note to that!). I often forget im going 90 because i dont even notice!?, cabin is quiet without its oem wheels and very stable driving. snow was no problem and neither hills. still loving my car looks cool but not overbearing.

Favorite Features

love the orange and blue easy to read numbers. four large abs breaks and stiff-sporty suspension handles like a sport car. and hid upgrade is awesome with 5000 or 6000k put some in my fogs and head lights looks awesome lot of turning heads for that one. very compatible with any upgrades you put into it!

Suggested Improvements

May have some troubles with shifting from 1st to 2nd at temps lower than 50F (a problem like the civics' si 2nd to 3rd) and have to shift slower on that one. the problem is on only a few of them. wish i didnt need to push the clutch button so far in, to shift too.

Piece OF CRAP
By ilya1313

2009 Mazda 3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Sorry to say i made the biggest mistake of my life buying this pice of crap. It had 13 miles when i bought it, now its at 42k and this is what i had to fix.... tires were fully bald and chap after a year... power steering pump blew up on me not once but twice... brakes were shacking the steering wheel so i had to fix the roters then they pully blew up and i had to replace the whole brake system.... hydraulic motor mount blew up and spilled oil eveywhere... and now to the good part... brakes need full replacement again and brake flush... rear strut is going out .... so ya Mazda should be ashamed to make this car ... biggest regret of my life ... i should have bought impreza...

Favorite Features

it looks nice out side thast all i can say thast good about this car.....

Suggested Improvements

its a lemon Mazda should give me my money back and then some....

Pretty Average
By scottksu

2009 Mazda 3 Sedan i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car looks great and handles well, but... The 2.0, 4 cylinder is low on power. I expected a bit more zip for a small car with almost 150 HP. Gas mileage below avg. for a car this size. Only get a few mpg more than my Toyota Camry V-6. Handles great, but ride suffers. If you like to feel every bump in the road, you will love this car. Replacing the OEM tires helps, especially with road noise. Interior design is nice, but materials are of average quality, which I expect for a car in this category. Developed a few noises & small intermittent rattles not long after purchase. Some I remedied, the dealer fixed one, some remain. A/C is weak & must keep on high during days over 90'