2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Way Over Rated
By natelogggg on 08/18/13 18:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The build quality seems cheap. It feels like some one built it out of legos. Lots of road noise, and not very comfortable. Best gas milage was 26 mpg. The suspension is rickety as well. Within 3000 miles, it was in the dealership because it was pulling to the right. They did the alignment for me and sent me on my way. A month later I had it back in for the same issue. This time I was accused of putting the car in the ditch since they found mud under the fenders. I live a mile up a dirt road, and it rains alot. The dealer tried saying that this is not normal wear and tear. After an argument and a threat to call BBB, they fixed it again. Now the transmission is shifting hard. Car has 60k mile

Long Term Honest Review
By procritic on 05/02/13 07:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Mazda 3 Hatchback Pros: Styling and Handling Mechanical Reliability Convenient Hatch Roomy Cons: Cheap Interior Carpet Difficult to clean ! Black plastic has a bleached white look from ONLY using proper Dash + Interior cleaners Original Tires worn out at 20,000 Instrument Cluster Dash visibility is Poor Steering wheel may block view of Gauges for short people Snow belt driving - premature rusting of rear quarter panels and brake rotors Road noise due to cheap tires

Great Ride, Great Drive, Annoying Gas Cap...
By jrslushy61 on 03/20/13 20:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have always been a Toyota admirer, until I saw the sharp styling of the Mazda 3, and once I noticed how highly rated they are and the gas mileage, I was interested. I got mine about 6 months ago, and I have loved it ever since. The only issue I had was with the dealership not wanting to replace the recalled gas cap. I had it too tight one time, and they had to take it off and I notified them of it and I was ignored. About a month later, (a week ago from now) it had broken off when I tried to fuel up. Other than this issue, I have been driving this car back and forth from home to class, and have had no other issues. The ride is very smooth, I get great gas mileage (23 city, 32 highway)

Almost 4 years later
By flora29 on 09/11/12 22:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love my Mazda 3 hatchback. I researched this car forever and finally got it Dec. 08. It only had 19 miles on it and now it has 60,000! I had a few glitches my first year. I had the gas cap issue, Mazda service department damanged my body and paint during a recall service and I had to have my car repainted twice (nightmare process). I have repaired all the recalls and so far no major issues. I did have to replace the tires sooner than normal but not a big deal. Everyone tells me they love how my car looks inside and out. The backseat is a little tight but with the seats folded down it carries a ton of stuff, great for camping and road trips. Fun to drive!

Best car I have ever owned!
By parolee on 05/31/12 12:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used at 35,000 miles. This car is exactly what I was looking for. My hatchback is a manual transmission, and I love how it takes hills. Even in cruise control, it doesn't skip a beat. The steering is responsive. It's a fun little car to drive! Drove around the other day with 5 people in the car. One person 6'2 the rest 5'3 to 5'11. Everybody was comfortable!! IF you're any taller than 5'11, the backseat might not work for you with a fully loaded car. We still had plenty of storage in the hatchback to boot! The engine did not miss a beat. Slight loss of power out of 1st, but did fine other than that. For the class of car, this is the best option. Period!

09 Fun Car!
By mjcromp on 12/15/10 21:24 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Overall fun car. We picked this up at a dealership while searching for another car. The salesperson showed and had us test drive and we drove it home. We got rid of our 04 Escape. We now get better MPG, handling and all around fun!

Luving our s Sport
By clearwaters on 08/24/10 01:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this '09 automatic to complement my '08 5 spd. My mother drives it mostly and amazingly loves the power of the 2.5 as well as the gas mileage. we have noticed the tires seem to pick up a lot of nails, I don't know if that will change when I switch to (probably) Continentals. The interior design is great except for the odd speedometer numbering and map light switches which blend in too much with the interior to "feel" them in the dark. I'm amazed that the Auto is just as much fun and Zoom as the 5 spd, that's more than rare! Car handles well, the safety features are incredible. Sad they changed the whole platform for 2010. The Stereo in the '09 w/MP3 kick a lot more Bass!

Not very Impressed
By Not very Impressed on 07/21/10 13:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my Mazda3 for a little over a year and I have had some issues with the car that should not be present with only 15,000 miles on the odometer. The brake system make an awful growling noise each time I back it out of my garage. Sevice engine light came on at 13,000 miles, was told that the gas cap needs replaced, replaced it and at 14,000 miles the light came back on. I will have to replace the tires soon, wore out way to soon. Road noise is very annoying, seems to get worse as the tires quickly wear. The whole Mazda experience has not been very good for me, zoom-zoom-BOOM?

Replacement Tire Suggestion
By MarRod on 06/25/10 18:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

With 29,000 miles on the original (junk) equipment tires, I read several tests and found a very good replacement tire for the Mazda3. Try: Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Dry,Wet,Snow) They transformed the car, with much improved wet and light snow traction, much less road noise, better steering feel and much better tar strip and rough road performance. Have 5000 miles on them so far. A very good all performance season tire. Also much cheaper than replacing the factory original (GY) rubbish.

My Long Term Review After 1 Year
By Fun2Driver on 03/22/10 16:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is an update to my review back in 4/2009, after 1 year plus few months of ownership of my Maz3. The car's still in excellent shape after more than 23k miles of hard driving, mostly long distance highway miles. No major repairs needed besides routine maintenance and oil changes. Overall I have no regret for my ownership. The most major complain though, is from the P205/50VR17 stock tires and Maz3's stiff suspension. The tires are almost worn out (should last 30k miles). They are very noisy. They are all-season tires, but absolutely horrible for driving in snow! Unfortunately, I've moved to a potholes-ridden and snowy state. That proved to be the most unforgiven condition for my Maz3.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback in VA is:

$137 per month*