Used 2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Way Over Rated
By natelogggg

2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The build quality seems cheap. It feels like some one built it out of legos. Lots of road noise, and not very comfortable. Best gas milage was 26 mpg. The suspension is rickety as well. Within 3000 miles, it was in the dealership because it was pulling to the right. They did the alignment for me and sent me on my way. A month later I had it back in for the same issue. This time I was accused of putting the car in the ditch since they found mud under the fenders. I live a mile up a dirt road, and it rains alot. The dealer tried saying that this is not normal wear and tear. After an argument and a threat to call BBB, they fixed it again. Now the transmission is shifting hard. Car has 60k mile

Sporty looks. Leather

Leaky sunroof poor quality interior poor quality suspension Just poor quality for the price.

Long Term Honest Review
By procritic

2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Mazda 3 Hatchback Pros: Styling and Handling Mechanical Reliability Convenient Hatch Roomy Cons: Cheap Interior Carpet Difficult to clean ! Black plastic has a bleached white look from ONLY using proper Dash + Interior cleaners Original Tires worn out at 20,000 Instrument Cluster Dash visibility is Poor Steering wheel may block view of Gauges for short people Snow belt driving - premature rusting of rear quarter panels and brake rotors Road noise due to cheap tires

Great Ride, Great Drive, Annoying Gas Cap...
By jrslushy61

2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have always been a Toyota admirer, until I saw the sharp styling of the Mazda 3, and once I noticed how highly rated they are and the gas mileage, I was interested. I got mine about 6 months ago, and I have loved it ever since. The only issue I had was with the dealership not wanting to replace the recalled gas cap. I had it too tight one time, and they had to take it off and I notified them of it and I was ignored. About a month later, (a week ago from now) it had broken off when I tried to fuel up. Other than this issue, I have been driving this car back and forth from home to class, and have had no other issues. The ride is very smooth, I get great gas mileage (23 city, 32 highway)

Some of the best qualities of the Mazda 3 I would have to say would be: Great Handling, because when I drive this car, I have never had an issue, and the ride is always smooth. Stylish Appeal: It is a car that I am proud to show everyone, and I also get great gas mileage. Good Gas Mileage: As I stated before, I got great mileage for the s touring model. I don't sacrifice saving gas $, for speed. Acceleration: 156 hp may not seem like much, but I can get from 0 to 60 in no time at all for an affordable car. Overall Quality: I don't have to worry about cheap plastic interior, or poor design, or reliability. My car always starts, gets me where I need to go, and it is very nice to look at.

I only wish the gas mileage was better for a 2.3L. I was interested in the iGrandTouring, however, I simply could not pass up the deal I got. ($11,000) A better quality/ not-so-picky gas cap would be nice as well. It was the only frustration I've had with my car.I would have to say the engine is quite loud, I mean, I am used to now, however for awhile, It had me worried. My other suggestions would not so much refer to this year model, but to the current models, such as the "Smiley Face" on the front. Other than these improvements, I would have to say Mazda 3 is a very solid, reliable car. Good for both the traveling businessman, and for single people looking for a sharp ride

Almost 4 years later
By flora29

2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love my Mazda 3 hatchback. I researched this car forever and finally got it Dec. 08. It only had 19 miles on it and now it has 60,000! I had a few glitches my first year. I had the gas cap issue, Mazda service department damanged my body and paint during a recall service and I had to have my car repainted twice (nightmare process). I have repaired all the recalls and so far no major issues. I did have to replace the tires sooner than normal but not a big deal. Everyone tells me they love how my car looks inside and out. The backseat is a little tight but with the seats folded down it carries a ton of stuff, great for camping and road trips. Fun to drive!

Heated seats, automatic windsheild wipers. Love the body style and peppy performance.

More room in the back seat.

Best car I have ever owned!
By parolee

2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used at 35,000 miles. This car is exactly what I was looking for. My hatchback is a manual transmission, and I love how it takes hills. Even in cruise control, it doesn't skip a beat. The steering is responsive. It's a fun little car to drive! Drove around the other day with 5 people in the car. One person 6'2 the rest 5'3 to 5'11. Everybody was comfortable!! IF you're any taller than 5'11, the backseat might not work for you with a fully loaded car. We still had plenty of storage in the hatchback to boot! The engine did not miss a beat. Slight loss of power out of 1st, but did fine other than that. For the class of car, this is the best option. Period!

I really like the body design and the quick little motor. As a matter of fact, this entire car is amazing when compared to the Toyota Matrix, Hyundai Accent, and Nissan Versa... of which I test drove all three in addition to the Mazda3.

The price.. I get it, this car is awesome... And considering the power of the engine compared to others in it's class, it would explain the higher price.... So really I'm just wanting to pay less as a consumer. This car is totally worth it. Gas mileage. If Mazda could somehow harness the power of the 168hp motor and get upwards of 35+ highway, that would be perfect!