2009 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
My Mazda 3 Experience
By lbb4 on 09/10/13 16:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a Mazda 3 for 2 years now. I can't complain much because it has been a reliable car. It is definitely NOT a family car but when we bought it we jumped quick because our other car was dying. The air conditioner is very sub-par, heat is good. Drives good, Interior is made fairly cheap as we have had several things break. Overall good car-I would recommend this car for a single person or a couple with no kids.

Way Over Rated
By natelogggg on 08/18/13 18:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The build quality seems cheap. It feels like some one built it out of legos. Lots of road noise, and not very comfortable. Best gas milage was 26 mpg. The suspension is rickety as well. Within 3000 miles, it was in the dealership because it was pulling to the right. They did the alignment for me and sent me on my way. A month later I had it back in for the same issue. This time I was accused of putting the car in the ditch since they found mud under the fenders. I live a mile up a dirt road, and it rains alot. The dealer tried saying that this is not normal wear and tear. After an argument and a threat to call BBB, they fixed it again. Now the transmission is shifting hard. Car has 60k mile

Long Term Honest Review
By procritic on 05/02/13 07:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Mazda 3 Hatchback Pros: Styling and Handling Mechanical Reliability Convenient Hatch Roomy Cons: Cheap Interior Carpet Difficult to clean ! Black plastic has a bleached white look from ONLY using proper Dash + Interior cleaners Original Tires worn out at 20,000 Instrument Cluster Dash visibility is Poor Steering wheel may block view of Gauges for short people Snow belt driving - premature rusting of rear quarter panels and brake rotors Road noise due to cheap tires

Great Ride, Great Drive, Annoying Gas Cap...
By jrslushy61 on 03/20/13 20:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have always been a Toyota admirer, until I saw the sharp styling of the Mazda 3, and once I noticed how highly rated they are and the gas mileage, I was interested. I got mine about 6 months ago, and I have loved it ever since. The only issue I had was with the dealership not wanting to replace the recalled gas cap. I had it too tight one time, and they had to take it off and I notified them of it and I was ignored. About a month later, (a week ago from now) it had broken off when I tried to fuel up. Other than this issue, I have been driving this car back and forth from home to class, and have had no other issues. The ride is very smooth, I get great gas mileage (23 city, 32 highway)

Almost 4 years later
By flora29 on 09/11/12 22:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love my Mazda 3 hatchback. I researched this car forever and finally got it Dec. 08. It only had 19 miles on it and now it has 60,000! I had a few glitches my first year. I had the gas cap issue, Mazda service department damanged my body and paint during a recall service and I had to have my car repainted twice (nightmare process). I have repaired all the recalls and so far no major issues. I did have to replace the tires sooner than normal but not a big deal. Everyone tells me they love how my car looks inside and out. The backseat is a little tight but with the seats folded down it carries a ton of stuff, great for camping and road trips. Fun to drive!

Best car I have ever owned!
By parolee on 05/31/12 12:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used at 35,000 miles. This car is exactly what I was looking for. My hatchback is a manual transmission, and I love how it takes hills. Even in cruise control, it doesn't skip a beat. The steering is responsive. It's a fun little car to drive! Drove around the other day with 5 people in the car. One person 6'2 the rest 5'3 to 5'11. Everybody was comfortable!! IF you're any taller than 5'11, the backseat might not work for you with a fully loaded car. We still had plenty of storage in the hatchback to boot! The engine did not miss a beat. Slight loss of power out of 1st, but did fine other than that. For the class of car, this is the best option. Period!

Poor gas mileage
By mmmm1982 on 05/01/12 11:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for almost 2 years and haven't had any major issues so far. All the maintenance is done regularly, but the car still gets only 24-25 MPG in the mixed cycle. I guess all of Mazda3 have this issue with the power steering pump, which I had to replace under recall. Interior looks kinda cheap.

Love My 3
By dark_temp on 04/15/12 17:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 3 last summer at 13k miles and have loved it since. it handles very well even at over 100+ mph, with previous racing experience and looking for a practical college car I found my baby. attractive enough to get compliments from others and with the 2.0 I, engine speeds up considerately enough to drive on the freeway with confidence (better torque and pick up with the 2.3 engines though, take note to that!). I often forget im going 90 because i dont even notice!?, cabin is quiet without its oem wheels and very stable driving. snow was no problem and neither hills. still loving my car looks cool but not overbearing.

Piece OF CRAP
By ilya1313 on 09/08/11 17:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Sorry to say i made the biggest mistake of my life buying this pice of crap. It had 13 miles when i bought it, now its at 42k and this is what i had to fix.... tires were fully bald and chap after a year... power steering pump blew up on me not once but twice... brakes were shacking the steering wheel so i had to fix the roters then they pully blew up and i had to replace the whole brake system.... hydraulic motor mount blew up and spilled oil eveywhere... and now to the good part... brakes need full replacement again and brake flush... rear strut is going out .... so ya Mazda should be ashamed to make this car ... biggest regret of my life ... i should have bought impreza...

Pretty Average
By scottksu on 07/31/11 10:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car looks great and handles well, but... The 2.0, 4 cylinder is low on power. I expected a bit more zip for a small car with almost 150 HP. Gas mileage below avg. for a car this size. Only get a few mpg more than my Toyota Camry V-6. Handles great, but ride suffers. If you like to feel every bump in the road, you will love this car. Replacing the OEM tires helps, especially with road noise. Interior design is nice, but materials are of average quality, which I expect for a car in this category. Developed a few noises & small intermittent rattles not long after purchase. Some I remedied, the dealer fixed one, some remain. A/C is weak & must keep on high during days over 90'

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda3 in NJ is:

$217 per month*