2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

My Mazda 3 Experience
By lbb4

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a Mazda 3 for 2 years now. I can't complain much because it has been a reliable car. It is definitely NOT a family car but when we bought it we jumped quick because our other car was dying. The air conditioner is very sub-par, heat is good. Drives good, Interior is made fairly cheap as we have had several things break. Overall good car-I would recommend this car for a single person or a couple with no kids.

Favorite Features

Gas saver Fog Lights Sporty look

Suggested Improvements

Build bumpers out of something other than plastic Upgrade quality of interior All of these need sunroofs

Way Over Rated
By natelogggg

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The build quality seems cheap. It feels like some one built it out of legos. Lots of road noise, and not very comfortable. Best gas milage was 26 mpg. The suspension is rickety as well. Within 3000 miles, it was in the dealership because it was pulling to the right. They did the alignment for me and sent me on my way. A month later I had it back in for the same issue. This time I was accused of putting the car in the ditch since they found mud under the fenders. I live a mile up a dirt road, and it rains alot. The dealer tried saying that this is not normal wear and tear. After an argument and a threat to call BBB, they fixed it again. Now the transmission is shifting hard. Car has 60k mile

Favorite Features

Sporty looks. Leather

Suggested Improvements

Leaky sunroof poor quality interior poor quality suspension Just poor quality for the price.

Long Term Honest Review
By procritic

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Mazda 3 Hatchback Pros: Styling and Handling Mechanical Reliability Convenient Hatch Roomy Cons: Cheap Interior Carpet Difficult to clean ! Black plastic has a bleached white look from ONLY using proper Dash + Interior cleaners Original Tires worn out at 20,000 Instrument Cluster Dash visibility is Poor Steering wheel may block view of Gauges for short people Snow belt driving - premature rusting of rear quarter panels and brake rotors Road noise due to cheap tires

Great Ride, Great Drive, Annoying Gas Cap...
By jrslushy61

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have always been a Toyota admirer, until I saw the sharp styling of the Mazda 3, and once I noticed how highly rated they are and the gas mileage, I was interested. I got mine about 6 months ago, and I have loved it ever since. The only issue I had was with the dealership not wanting to replace the recalled gas cap. I had it too tight one time, and they had to take it off and I notified them of it and I was ignored. About a month later, (a week ago from now) it had broken off when I tried to fuel up. Other than this issue, I have been driving this car back and forth from home to class, and have had no other issues. The ride is very smooth, I get great gas mileage (23 city, 32 highway)

Favorite Features

Some of the best qualities of the Mazda 3 I would have to say would be: Great Handling, because when I drive this car, I have never had an issue, and the ride is always smooth. Stylish Appeal: It is a car that I am proud to show everyone, and I also get great gas mileage. Good Gas Mileage: As I stated before, I got great mileage for the s touring model. I don't sacrifice saving gas $, for speed. Acceleration: 156 hp may not seem like much, but I can get from 0 to 60 in no time at all for an affordable car. Overall Quality: I don't have to worry about cheap plastic interior, or poor design, or reliability. My car always starts, gets me where I need to go, and it is very nice to look at.

Suggested Improvements

I only wish the gas mileage was better for a 2.3L. I was interested in the iGrandTouring, however, I simply could not pass up the deal I got. ($11,000) A better quality/ not-so-picky gas cap would be nice as well. It was the only frustration I've had with my car.I would have to say the engine is quite loud, I mean, I am used to now, however for awhile, It had me worried. My other suggestions would not so much refer to this year model, but to the current models, such as the "Smiley Face" on the front. Other than these improvements, I would have to say Mazda 3 is a very solid, reliable car. Good for both the traveling businessman, and for single people looking for a sharp ride

Almost 4 years later
By flora29

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love my Mazda 3 hatchback. I researched this car forever and finally got it Dec. 08. It only had 19 miles on it and now it has 60,000! I had a few glitches my first year. I had the gas cap issue, Mazda service department damanged my body and paint during a recall service and I had to have my car repainted twice (nightmare process). I have repaired all the recalls and so far no major issues. I did have to replace the tires sooner than normal but not a big deal. Everyone tells me they love how my car looks inside and out. The backseat is a little tight but with the seats folded down it carries a ton of stuff, great for camping and road trips. Fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, automatic windsheild wipers. Love the body style and peppy performance.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the back seat.

Best car I have ever owned!
By parolee

2009 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used at 35,000 miles. This car is exactly what I was looking for. My hatchback is a manual transmission, and I love how it takes hills. Even in cruise control, it doesn't skip a beat. The steering is responsive. It's a fun little car to drive! Drove around the other day with 5 people in the car. One person 6'2 the rest 5'3 to 5'11. Everybody was comfortable!! IF you're any taller than 5'11, the backseat might not work for you with a fully loaded car. We still had plenty of storage in the hatchback to boot! The engine did not miss a beat. Slight loss of power out of 1st, but did fine other than that. For the class of car, this is the best option. Period!

Favorite Features

I really like the body design and the quick little motor. As a matter of fact, this entire car is amazing when compared to the Toyota Matrix, Hyundai Accent, and Nissan Versa... of which I test drove all three in addition to the Mazda3.

Suggested Improvements

The price.. I get it, this car is awesome... And considering the power of the engine compared to others in it's class, it would explain the higher price.... So really I'm just wanting to pay less as a consumer. This car is totally worth it. Gas mileage. If Mazda could somehow harness the power of the 168hp motor and get upwards of 35+ highway, that would be perfect!

Poor gas mileage
By mmmm1982

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for almost 2 years and haven't had any major issues so far. All the maintenance is done regularly, but the car still gets only 24-25 MPG in the mixed cycle. I guess all of Mazda3 have this issue with the power steering pump, which I had to replace under recall. Interior looks kinda cheap.

Favorite Features

sporty looks, 17' alloy wheels

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage is terrible for a 4 cylinder

Love My 3
By dark_temp

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 3 last summer at 13k miles and have loved it since. it handles very well even at over 100+ mph, with previous racing experience and looking for a practical college car I found my baby. attractive enough to get compliments from others and with the 2.0 I, engine speeds up considerately enough to drive on the freeway with confidence (better torque and pick up with the 2.3 engines though, take note to that!). I often forget im going 90 because i dont even notice!?, cabin is quiet without its oem wheels and very stable driving. snow was no problem and neither hills. still loving my car looks cool but not overbearing.

Favorite Features

love the orange and blue easy to read numbers. four large abs breaks and stiff-sporty suspension handles like a sport car. and hid upgrade is awesome with 5000 or 6000k put some in my fogs and head lights looks awesome lot of turning heads for that one. very compatible with any upgrades you put into it!

Suggested Improvements

May have some troubles with shifting from 1st to 2nd at temps lower than 50F (a problem like the civics' si 2nd to 3rd) and have to shift slower on that one. the problem is on only a few of them. wish i didnt need to push the clutch button so far in, to shift too.

Piece OF CRAP
By ilya1313

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Sorry to say i made the biggest mistake of my life buying this pice of crap. It had 13 miles when i bought it, now its at 42k and this is what i had to fix.... tires were fully bald and chap after a year... power steering pump blew up on me not once but twice... brakes were shacking the steering wheel so i had to fix the roters then they pully blew up and i had to replace the whole brake system.... hydraulic motor mount blew up and spilled oil eveywhere... and now to the good part... brakes need full replacement again and brake flush... rear strut is going out .... so ya Mazda should be ashamed to make this car ... biggest regret of my life ... i should have bought impreza...

Favorite Features

it looks nice out side thast all i can say thast good about this car.....

Suggested Improvements

its a lemon Mazda should give me my money back and then some....

Pretty Average
By scottksu

2009 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car looks great and handles well, but... The 2.0, 4 cylinder is low on power. I expected a bit more zip for a small car with almost 150 HP. Gas mileage below avg. for a car this size. Only get a few mpg more than my Toyota Camry V-6. Handles great, but ride suffers. If you like to feel every bump in the road, you will love this car. Replacing the OEM tires helps, especially with road noise. Interior design is nice, but materials are of average quality, which I expect for a car in this category. Developed a few noises & small intermittent rattles not long after purchase. Some I remedied, the dealer fixed one, some remain. A/C is weak & must keep on high during days over 90'