2008 Mazda 3 Consumer Review: A nice car that somehow is mad

2008 Mazda 3 - Consumer Review

A nice car that somehow is made cheaply
By ejh on

2008 Mazda 3 New s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 15 months and 18k miles. It is a fun car and until recently I would recommend it to anyone. I've had a few things go wrong that should never be an issue, especially for a Japanese car. Some are minor, some are not: * The plastic battery box cover broke the first time I opened it. * The gas cap broke, with part of it stuck on the filler tube. * The clutch is not working right. Something inside the clutch assembly broke causing poor engagement/disengagement of the clutch, which is felt as a notchy, clicking sensation in the pedal. The actually clutch friction plate is fine (this is not an issue due to poor manual driving skills). * Stock tires only lasted 17.5K.

Favorite Features

Inside styling, MP3 radio, interior lighting, stiff suspension, Hatchback utility, traction control actually works well on snow.

Suggested Improvements

1) Tires are ridiculous. I'm not as aggressive as I used to be and I only got 17.5k out of them. 2) Dealers and warranty service seem to be extremely cheap to fix anything. 3) Overall car has cheap parts compared to Japanese cars I've owned in the past.