Used 2008 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Can't stay out of it.
By sdavis

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan New s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I commute 45 minutes each way to work. Since I bought M3 I find myself getting a earlier start each morning so I can take the back rodes to work. I have 2008 S Touring 5 spd manual and it is a blast to drive. Prior to that I owned a 2004 Mini Cooper w 1.4 liter engine. Mini hugged the curves better but did not have pep that 2,3L engine provides. M3 revs at about 3100rpm at 80 mpg, Mini over 4000. Suspension stiff on both, which I don't mind. M3 looks cool and theirs more room in the back for the kids. M3 doesn't get the gas mileage that Mini did but I can run 87 instead of premium. Trade off is worth it. In my mid forty's but I feels like a kid again when i get in this car.

Favorite Features

Handling, 17" wheels look nice, 18" Mazda Speed wheels look nicer, would like to up grade. Looks good on inside and out. Sound system(MP3 Plug In, Controls on steering wheel, Sun Roof, Good Head Room. Cheaper to maintain. "Poor Boy's Beamer"

Suggested Improvements

I wish it did better on gas. Currently doing around 30 mpg. Would like to have the Mazda Speed wheels in size 17" or 16". Skid plate doesn't line up when changing oil, has to be removed. Prefer old style oil filters. Reliability to early to say. Been good so far.

Almost Perfect!
By Jennifer

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan New s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love love love my Mazda 3. I did a lot of research of the Honda Civic, Fit, Toyota Corolla and the Volks Jetta. I was almost going to buy the Corolla until I test drove the Mazda 3 Sedan. It was the handling that sold me and the expensive/sporty look of the trim. The Corolla was everything I expected it to be, but the Mazda 3 surpassed what I was looking for.

Favorite Features

The S Grand Touring options- Bose surround sound/6CS changer. The sporty look and 17" alloy rims. The heated leather seats and i-pod jack. Xenon lights are just plain cool and the rain sensing wipers are cooler.

Suggested Improvements

Can't stand the climate control panel!! The brakes squeak initially, but then goes away. Like many others say, they should put a trunk opening option on keyless remote. But overall- love love love this car!!! My favorite car so far!

I LOVE THIS CAR
By MIALT

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan New s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I spent a long time looking at cars and this is the best bet for the money. I live in New England and have no problems in snow, mud, or rain. The traction control works wonders. The features of the grand touring have everything I need. It handles like a charm and I find I get about 26 mpg with both highway and city driving. The manual is a blast, the stereo is phenomenal. There is a bit of cabin noise when your on the highway but I usually have the radio up. Overall, I have had no problems with this car and plan to keep it for a long time.

Favorite Features

The audio controls on the steering wheel are excellent, the stereo, auto wipers, and many others.

Suggested Improvements

A button on the key to pop the trunk or a button on the trunk. Its the only thing that irritates me.

1 year of ownership
By TimL

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

At the car lot I jumped in the vehicle to take it for a drive. It seems very very sluggish and was not at all impressed. Then I noticed the brake light was on!!!!!! Well, after taking the E-brake off I realized this car had some serious zip. It handled better than any of my two other previously owned vehicles. I was sold. Last summer I took the vehicle from Oregon to Yellowstone in Montana. When I hit the Rocky's I noticed my car did not climb very well. Other vehicles on the road seemed to be responding about the same. I decided to experiment and flipped the stick to Manual and dropped it into third gear. I was easily able to drive uphill at 90mph and still had power left over.

Favorite Features

*Very intuitive and easy to operate manual/automatic system. *Very responsive handling/steering. *Very good acceleration from 0-30. *Nice sleek look, not to round. *Decent stock stereo

Suggested Improvements

As a previous reviewer indicated... Horrible in snow. Horrible in rain. Since I am running stock tires I suspect this is the culprit. Also... as stated by another reviewer: The paint seems to damage very easily. Very easy to dent the car.

Great car for dry weather
By Abna

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car after researching the Focus, Civic, Fit and Corolla. It is definitely better than those cars. I missed a crucial factor when making my decision: I live in Seattle where it rains a lot and gets slippery. It also snowed a lot this winter and this car was a total disaster. It got stuck twice in my apartment complex and took more than one hour and lots of effort park it. This car is fun to drive, very sporty and handles tight but is meant for dry weathers only.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration on flat and dry surfaces. Excellent handling and cornering. Simple interior without the cheap look. Well placed instrument panel. Manual override. Very good styling. Sufficient storage in the trunk. ABS on all wheels. Standard 17" Alloy wheels and disc brakes on all four wheels. Ve

Suggested Improvements

Awful on snow. On rainy days, front wheels spin; wiper leaves streaks on the windscreen. 22 mpg in city. Brake and accelerator too close. Lack of rear wiper. Stiff ride. Lot of road noise. Weak A/C. Thin metal. Paint scraps off easily. Struggles when driving uphill. Bad stock tyres.