Used 2008 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Mazda 3 Wagon: happiest Car on Earth
By JAGGER1024

2008 Mazda 3 New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Had a Mazda 6 Wagon. Loved it. Went to replace it, but 6 wagons were discontinued. Tried out a 3. Loved it. Comfortable, zippy, no problems whatsoever. As much as I liked my 6 wagon, it did have a faulty gas tank. No issues with the 3, however.

Highway gas mileage is 30 mpg. Handling is excellent. Comfortable on long haul. Great 2 person-car. I'm 6ft and fit very comfortably in front - rear seat passengers suffer though unless they are kids. Love the factory tinted glass.

Original Goodyear tires were junk. Stereo adequate but on the weak side.

My experience so far
By Jason L

2008 Mazda 3 New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I'm driving the 2.0 liter 4 speed auto. Before buying this car, I drove a 2000 Toyota Camry CE. Its really amazing the difference in interior quality between a Toyota and a Mazda. Toyota certainly beats the Mazda hands down in terms of build quality inside the car. I.E. Cheap plastics and poor stitching on cloth seats. That being said, the Mazda3 is leaps and bounds more fun to drive than a Camry. Virtually everything in the performance dept is better, with the exception of low end torque. Maybe its only the 2.0 liter, but the low end torque is a little weak. Once it gets into 3rd/4th gear, it accelerates QUITE nicely. When I need a burst of speed, the car definitely delivers.

-- Excellent performance& crisp handling -- Sharp turn radius - the best! -- Decent gas mileage on the 2.0. Avg 23 mpg. 12 gallon tank (only 10 miles represented on the gas gauge - other 2 are the "reserve tank") -- Comfortable seats with lumbar support -- Very nice 6 speaker system /w aux jack

-- Weak low end torque on the 2.0 -- Cheap plastic interior -- Cloth seats have poor stitching. Its a 2008 and already coming apart. Horrible: F. Dealer says its not included in the bumper to bumper warranty. Scandalous -- Slight rear visibility issues.

Luxury at a lower sticker price!
By arjag2010

2008 Mazda 3 New s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I LOVE my Mazda. I purchased a used 2005 Mazda3s in September of 2009, which was totaled when I was rear-ended in November. I did not hesitate to purchase another Mazda. Taking advantage of the fact that there was a new body style (2010) coming out, I got a great deal on a 2008 3s GT. I definitely recommend the s. The 2.3 makes a difference. I test drove an i and it just didn't have the same sporty feel, especially going up hills. I have had various rentals in the same class as the Mazda, and have also test driven quite a few cars within the class. None have compared. The handling is superb, very tight and responsive.

I purchased a new 3s GT for $18,000 (not excluding tax/title/fees). The xenon headlights, leather, moonroof, heated seats, rain-sensing wipers (never want another car without them!), Bose sound system---where else can you get all of that for this price?!

I wish that the key had an option to pop the trunk. It's irritating to have to use the actual trunk to open it, especially if you want to be careful of scratching the car up.

More amenities than a loaded BMW
By gina4321

2008 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this 2008 Mazda S Grand Touring since July of 2008 and just LOVE it! I sold my BMW X5 to buy this Mazda and it has more bells and whistles. Heated seats, Xenon headlights, leather seats, Bose Stereo, 6 disc, auto wipers etc..It was used with 14k miles and I paid 17500. for this in 2008. What a deal. Currently has 23000. miles on it with no problems what so ever!!

Stereo controls on Steering wheel, auto Xenon headlights, heated seats...

Auto trunk release would be nice..

Mazda Is Horrible In Snow
By Scott Mayer

2008 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I would be happy with my Mazda if it weren't horrible in the snow and ice - absolutely ZERO traction. And the braking system they have in it is awful as well - loud and unnerving.