2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Zoom for the money!
By Happy on 03/14/08 21:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

At 53 sold my impractical touring motorcycle so I needed some sport w/practicality. Drove VW Rabbit, but 2.3 Mazda 3 was smoother and have owned both in the past, Mazda more reliable. Most important is Electronic Stability Control, have not been able to get it to skid, it is like glued to the road like a Porsche 911 but more balanced. Precise steering. Acceleration is good, better than I expected and it is fun to pass 3 cars at a time on two lane highway. Needed manual and sun roof to keep sport feeling but is clumsy with cell phone in traffic. Very quiet at hwy speeds, 3,050 rpm at 70 in 5th, redlines at 6,500 rpm (top 149 mph??). S Touring has lots of features, cruise, etc. Doors solid.

Best car I've owned yet
By koopzilla on 03/11/08 18:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love my Mazda3 Hatchback, Great gas mileage fun to drive no complaints at all if havent driven one do so and if your serious about buying new car give it a chance they really give you a lot of car for your dollar

Great car
By Justin on 03/11/08 07:26 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This car is great, the underpinnings are derived from a Volvo s40. The design of the interior looks good and is functional along with the multiple airbags and H beam overhead for rollover protection. The exterior looks great. The engine has plenty of power for the vehicle and tranny doesn't shuffle around for gears, the manual feature is great too. As far as the suspension and brakes are conserned they exceed my expectations by far. For a fwd you can't beat the handling. Overall this car is definitely worth the money.

Great car, bad city mpg
By lurch on 03/10/08 17:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Most reliable car I have owned. Logical layout of interior, sporty looks and good performance for the price.

2008 Mazda MAZDA3 s Touring
By Sal on 03/04/08 17:48 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was shopping for a new car, had a 98 Honda Accord for 11 years, needed something sporty and fresh. I really liked the styling of the Mazda 3 and was attracted to the many features and 156 HP. Love at first sight at the dealership, took it for a test drive and was impressed by the tight handling of this car. Have put about 800 miles on it so far, mostly highway miles. I find the mpg is a bit lower than I had hoped for, but it might be that I just can't go slow in this car! So far my best mpg is about 28 when I keep it on cruise control 70mph. So many great features-roomy, stereo is awesome with 6 cd changer, tight cockpit, bright orange instrument panel, safety features-great deal for 17k!!

An Okay Vehicle
By Fluffy on 02/27/08 19:01 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car a couple months and it is not a bad car, but it could use a few improvements. The road noise is the worst, esp. when travelling on road paved with recycled blacktop. The carpet is cheap, more like a felt. I probably will go to the 09 Toyota Matrix which is offering Bluetooth and XM. I got a good deal on this car, but I don't think long term that it will hold up.

Totally love this car
By Steve on 02/19/08 21:09 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Last week I finally went ahead and purchased this car (5 door Grand Touring). I was a little worried about not having snow tires and being in the midst of winter but it actually is better than my previous ride. The wheels will spin when initially accelerating, but seems to grip the road well after that (I will get snow tires next year since I live in MI). The car is just so much fun to drive. It feels so much like a European car. I am still trying to determine the average MPG. Since I bought the car with 14 miles, the trip computer appears not to have enough data to make an accurate read.

Super fun sport-like drive
By Barbara Martin on 01/24/08 16:42 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned my Mazda 4 Door (with hatch) Grand Touring sedan for two days and am VERY happy to have chosen it over the Toyota Matrix which, although of reputed higher quality, was a total drag to drive. The Mazda is zippy, smooth, and responds quite handily. Of course I won't get quite the mileage, but then I'm coming off a 3500+ lb. mini-van so I'm still way ahead. I have no complaints at all and recommend this vehicle entirely. If you want a fun yet semi-sophisticated car that's just roomy enough for 4 adults in super comfort and is also incredibly cute, this is your vehicle. I got many more features for less money than the Matrix but ended up with a much better and more nimble ride.

Driving Is Fun Again
By John on 01/16/08 10:29 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car for two reasons: I drove a 1996 Protege that I treated me dearly and I recieve special pricing being a part of the Ford family. My only thought now every morning as I hop in my car is, "driving is fun again". I have never been more proud of a car, both in style and reliability. There's nothing about this car I don't like.

Zoom-zoom
By quicksilver on 01/04/08 11:20 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Lots of pluses. Zero issues in 1st 7K mls. List of standard amenities is as long as your arm. Since most the positives are listed in the brochures and Mazda info, I'll focus on the stuff they don't tell you. All cars have negatives. Consider if you can tolerate these: 1. factory speakers are horrible. Replaced all 4 with cheapo $26 speakers, for a major improvement. 2. Even understanding that performance uses gas, mileage is less than expected (26- 29 mpg). 3. Stock tires flat spot after sitting and need to warm up before the tiny thumping goes away. Otherwise stock tire performance and noise is fine so far. No need to slow down and brake for corners. That makes it very fun to drive!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.