Used 2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

High Quality on a Budget
By MTWnSTL

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I just traded in my 2000 Eclipse GT V6 (loaded) for a brand new 2008 Mazda 3 Grand Touring (even more fully loaded). The dealership checked every box, including navigation, sunroof, and the Bose multi-changer cd. The fit and finish in this car is hard to beat in the class and price range. Everything about this car is high quality. So far, in my first 500 miles, I haven't found anything to dislike. I was worried about "trading down" from a sports car, but I think I've really come out on the winning end with performance, economy, and an upscale interior with all of the amenities one could want.

Favorite Features

So many! Okay, the heated leather seats are a blessing right now in the cold Missouri mornings. The rain- sensing wipers make me smile. The five- speed manual is velvety smooth and supremely easy to use. Great headlights! And the looks, inside and out, I am really impressed all the way around

Suggested Improvements

The radio controls are a little bit fussy. The Bose stereo, with plenty of bass thump, needs more tweeters. Voice recognition on the navi would be nice. I'm getting about 27-30mpg, but better fuel economy would be nice. Ride is occasionally jittery. But seriously, this is one sweet ride!

At this price point, the choice is clear
By gsr

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love my Mazda3 hatchback. It looks good both inside and out. It scoots around well enough and shines on the twisties. A lot of car for the money. I paid $17k with a year-end $2000 rebate for the S model with an automatic. I would have preferred a stick but had to compromise with the Mrs and opt for the auto - I've been very pleased with it though and have zero regrets with this choice of transmission. The best word to described this car is "zippy". I always look forward to getting behind the wheel. My anyone would rather buy any other car in the same price range is beyond me - but I'm glad they do because 3's aren't as ubiquitous as they should be.

Favorite Features

Steering, handling, smoothness of drivetrain - fun, fun, fun! Drives like a car that costs $10k or more.

Suggested Improvements

My right knee pushes up against the center console - if the brake and gas pedal were just a tick more to the left, or if the center stack were designed to make it more comfortable to rest my knee against it, would fix it - anyway, no big deal and I'm getting used to it after just 1 week.

Ol Dad's Retirement Present to Himself
By Ol DaD

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first new car since 1971 so I did lots of research and drove many cars before deciding on the Mazda 3. I needed the utility of 4 doors & a hatch, but wanted a car that was economical & fun. My driving is evenly mixed interstate & city, 5,000 miles since July. So far I'm very pleased with the car. It's fun to drive, quick, handles like it's on rails & never below 30 MPH. Mine is Copper Red, the interior is Beige & Black, very sharp. I have seen only a couple like mine in Indy. The 5-speed is precise & smooth. The traction control permits a squawk in 3 gears, with it off first gear will smoke the tires. Check out the competition, bang for the $$ Mazda wins;-) I would buy it again!

Favorite Features

Performance & economy. Looks: distinctive-not everyone has one. Utility: 4 doors, hatch & fold down seats. Comfort: ride is firm but not harsh, seats are comfortable, interior is well thought out, controls are sensible, audio is good, The car is very quiet at speed except on rough pavement.

Suggested Improvements

Beige cloth seats are attractive but hard to keep clean. Black carpet is a lint magnet. Hard plastic on interior shows all scuffs. Rear of car constantly collects dust. Weak horn & speakers which I replaced very easily myself. Rear seat does not fold flat.

Better than expected
By Bob

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Having driven mini-vans for 20+ years, I wanted something more economical (MPG) but still had some room to haul things. I also wanted to stay with Japanese. The M3 wasn't on my radar screen until pretty late in the game. I'm embarrassed to say this but the heated seats sealed the deal for me. The price was VERY attractive, too. Now that I've had the car for a few months and have put 6,000 miles on it, I'm quite enamored with it. Great amenities. It's fun too drive -- too fun maybe. I often have a hard time going easy for the better MPG. I miss the space/convenience of a mini-van but life is all about tradeoffs. Bottom line: no regrets, at least so far.

Favorite Features

Handling, 5AT, Headlights -- we live in the woods, Media interface - used with my GPSw/XM-WX, Trip computer -- helps me keep my speed down! I've always had basic vehicles -- I'm enjoying the (unnecessary) bells & whistles a lot.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats with two heat settings and that shut off automatically (minor). No others -- I like this car a LOT!

Most fun and utility for the money!
By DAVID A

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got the top of the line, hatch back, leather, heated seat, cd, iPod link, manual shift, 2.3 liters, etc. Lots of fun to drive, great looking car, not the most economic small car though. In the city I average 22 mpg. Test drove other similar cars, like Civic etc, M3 is the most fun to drive. I love the hatch back. I have loaded things in the back of this car that I could not have done with any other 4 doors car, Hatch back are considered 5 doors! It should have a roof rack! That is a great let down for me on this car. I learned that it is not available from factory after I bought the car. Now I have a thule, but it is not the same as having a factory one!

Favorite Features

Great looking interior and exterior. Very useful extra space with the hatch back. Good fuel economy for the fun. I have a trailer hitch installed

Suggested Improvements

Driver seat not very comfortable for a wide person. It is fine for short rides. Front seats have a type of "side support" that actually will bother you on a long ride. My wife is overweight and she rates riding with me because of the seat. I wish gas mph would be better than 22 mpg in city!