2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
The best car
By Steph on 06/05/08 14:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love my Aurora Blue s touring hatch! I just bought it a couple days ago and feel that it is the best. It is so cute, sporty, luxurious and fun. Road noise is not an issue and it's quieter with less wind noise than my father's 10 year old avalon that cost more money. It's great on the highway too. The engine makes a satisfying sporty growl. When you press the unlock button twice, all doors plus the hatch open. This car beats all of the competition and is the best value for the money

Adorable, sport, fun
By mazda owner on 06/03/08 12:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I was looking for a more fuel efficient vehicle than my Toyota Sequoia. I've always owned Toyotas and test drove the new '09 Matrix. I wasn't impressed with the responsiveness or the overall looks. I test drove the Mazda 3 and was immediately impressed. The 3 has a very sporty look, it's comfortable, responsive, handles well, holds the road well in curves and has lots of features standard safety and otherwise. This car has more standard features than the Matrix such as stereo & cruise control on the steering wheel, and 17" alloy wheels. I sacrificed a little gas mileage between the Matrix 1.8L 4 speed and the Mazda 2.3L 5 speed but I ended up with a car that's a lot more fun to drive.

All The Good Stuff
By Fun to Drive on 05/29/08 21:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We were looking for a new vehicle with good gas mileage that uses regular fuel, has a best of class reliability and some personality! I believe the Mazda3 hits the mark. We have only had the car for about seven weeks. The factory radio had a problem with the volume (the bass would cut out at higher levels). Our dealership checked into a possible software glitch and replaced our radio with a brand new corrected unit. My radio works and sounds great now. This is our very first Mazda and we are looking forward to many happy problem free miles. Driving this car makes me smile. I love my little wagon! To all Mazda3 owners you choose a nice car! Zoom Zoom.

Zooming!
By rsen on 05/17/08 11:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Reviewed many similar cars but I knew this was the one. Edmunds gave a favorable review. Stylish, powerful engine, comfortable, safety, and best of all the kids aren't shy to ride in it. The handling is great! Seats are comfortable and the kids love the dashboard's lights. Haven't had a chance to do the MPG thing but I'm sure it'll be better than my F-150!

I went from a 01 Miata to this...
By Dave on 05/11/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love Mazda vehicles to begin with. They are one of the few car manufacturers that actually build 99% of their cars in Japan. The quality shows. I was very skeptical about a 4cyl. engine with an automactic. The 2.3L with the 5 speed auto is an absolute blast to drive. The 6 speed Miata was a blast to drive, but try commuting 70+ miles a day in LA's freeway traffic. The fit and finish is s good as any BMW 3 series, and the performance will make you wonder why you need to spend an extra 15K on a Bimmer. I have owned them as well. First thing I did after I had 1500 miles was change the oil to Royal Purple, K&N oil filter and K&N air filter. I know the car doesn't need this.

2008 Mazda 3s Hatchback GT
By RS on 05/04/08 21:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Took delivery early April. Have driven about 1600 miles already. Average mpg 23-24. Very lively and comfortable to drive. Like the dash layout and the feel. Nav system limits operation to while stationary. Unable to tell if the outside review mirrors are heated? Front seats comfortable. Rear seat leg space tight. Front seat heaters do not turn off automatically!

Sweet Ride, Designed in 2004
By detroit1701 on 04/17/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda3 5-speed hatch is a great car to drive -- good handling and driving dynamics. Designed to compete with the VW Golf / Rabbit, it offers similar performance and fuel economy out of its 2.3L 156 hp engine. The only thing keeping this car from blowing out the competition is fuel economy. The next generation 3 should address these issues.

Fun to drive hatchback
By Steven Kim on 03/27/08 18:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought an 08.5 Mazda3 Sport Hatchback after a dump truck trashed my 2006 Mazda3 I-Touring Sedan. They call it 08.5 because of a model change mid-year. I went to the dealer to buy another Mazda 3 I-Touring but the Copper Red color of the hatchback caught my attention. It steers and accelerates very nicely and definitely fun to drive. It makes my 100 mile daily commute bearable. As far as MPG, I've gotten, 28, 29 and 30 MPG. I'm not usually interested in a hatchback but the styling is sporty and far better than the Toyota Matrix and Honda Fit. I checked out the Honda Civic coup also and the roominess and interior didn't match the Mazda.

Can't get a better car for the money
By jjinqueens on 03/26/08 05:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the car for 2 months (sometime in that 2 months they started calling it a wagon, not a hatch?). I bought it in Feb, during some of the worst driving weather possible, and it handled as though it were a dry sunny day. I love the performance, and the stability control in the Touring model really helps grip the road (we have some tricky ones in the mountains). My husband loved it so much he bought the same in an automatic, which also handles beautifully. We wish we got better mileage (I get about 27 mpg) for a small car, but the emissions ratings are good. We recently had 3 teens, 2 adults, and all the teens' college gear in the Mazda, no problem!! Cargo space is great.

Handles great, but not perfect
By kyjd75 on 03/22/08 12:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This car handles fabulously! I've owned great handling cars for years (BMW 528, Nissan Zs, Mustang GTs, etc.). This car can hold its own with any of them--that makes it worth it for me. However, it is not perfect. I've had some problems, such as air bag system failure, peculiar engine noises at idle, and paint chipping. It also has lots of road noise as well. Also, gas mileage is good but not great (24 mpg overall). I bought this car for my wife as a supplemental car to her Mustang GT convertible (didn't want to drive it in bad weather). It serves well in that role. Overall, I would recommend this car, but you need to understand what you are getting.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback in VA is:

$116 per month*